Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
Monstructor
Generation 1
Are Customized Transformers Toxic??

I was planning to build Custom Devy similar to Rumble Frenzy's or Ptitvite's.

Then something came into my mind... before I have started modifying the robots, I thought about how toxic the paint can be.. even after it's been dried and coated.

(I'm not airbrushing it... my friend will do that part)

I would like to hear some feedbacks from all.
If it's toxic, then i prefer to take other options..

Please reply if you have good opinions! Thanks!
Monstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
gemwolf
Generation 2
gemwolf's Ebay Auctions
Re: Are Customized Transformers Toxic??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstructor View Post
I was planning to build Custom Devy similar to Rumble Frenzy's or Ptitvite's.

Then something came into my mind... before I have started modifying the robots, I thought about how toxic the paint can be.. even after it's been dried and coated.

(I'm not airbrushing it... my friend will do that part)

I would like to hear some feedbacks from all.
If it's toxic, then i prefer to take other options..

Please reply if you have good opinions! Thanks!

I have painted a lot of gundam model kits (plastic kits) with airbrush

i typically used acrylic paints - these are what id say are typically used to paint toys that or enamel.. which is oil based

unless u are eating the toy - after its coated with a finish its not "toxic" but like any other paints - i am assuming that yoru airbrusher will be using some kind of thinner so that it sprays - and will have to do multiple coat. and even before that i hope he primes the toy so that the paint sticks...

so how it works (for me n e ways)

plastic - primer - paint - clear coat

it will smell for the first few days but once it airs out its fine... and i am still alive so i dont think its "toxic" but just be careful if u have bad respiratory or low immunity to artificial/chemicals etc

**spray bottle paints are same (typically acrylic) but harder (i find) to properly control unless u are doing background and massive surfaces

other options are semi expensive and well more time/work consuming.

resin casting it to a specific colour
or 3d printing to limited colours of like black/white/brown/clear

... now i miss making/painting kits and toys thanks bud! thanks .... alot *sobs sobs - runs away
gemwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

So I guess there are two parts to this, the paint stripping process and the paint application process. I don't know if this helps you or applies to your situation but there was a concern that the paints used in the recent KO MP Sideswipe were toxic. Many are buying them to sand down the paint and do custom paint jobs. But people were concerned about inhaling the dust particles while stripping down the paint. Of course, there was also a concern if children should be playing with them at all. I refer you to post #735 of this thread. A member actually took the time to run a XRF test on the paint. Read on for the results.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

I custom hand paint my TF with metallic enamel paint from Humbrol. Believe me, paints from hobby shops are not any more toxic and the paints used on the walls in your home. Paints from Japan (eg. Tamiya) or UK (eg. Hunbrol) are very safe.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
chans formers
raff ow roud

you should be safe to continue building devs.
when you get to the actual priming/painting/etc,make sure you have proper ventilation.
like others have said,acrylics have less fumes than enamels do.
once it fully cures/hardens(i usually wait about a day for acrylics and 3 days for enamels)it should be pretty much done "off-gassing".
as others also said,just don't eat it though

once fully cured though,if anything,imho the stock paint hastak uses would be more toxic.that stuff's a total pain in the ... to remove and sometimes damn near impossible.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #6
Monstructor
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemwolf View Post
I have painted a lot of gundam model kits (plastic kits) with airbrush

i typically used acrylic paints - these are what id say are typically used to paint toys that or enamel.. which is oil based

unless u are eating the toy - after its coated with a finish its not "toxic" but like any other paints - i am assuming that yoru airbrusher will be using some kind of thinner so that it sprays - and will have to do multiple coat. and even before that i hope he primes the toy so that the paint sticks...

so how it works (for me n e ways)

plastic - primer - paint - clear coat

it will smell for the first few days but once it airs out its fine... and i am still alive so i dont think its "toxic" but just be careful if u have bad respiratory or low immunity to artificial/chemicals etc

**spray bottle paints are same (typically acrylic) but harder (i find) to properly control unless u are doing background and massive surfaces

other options are semi expensive and well more time/work consuming.

resin casting it to a specific colour
or 3d printing to limited colours of like black/white/brown/clear

... now i miss making/painting kits and toys thanks bud! thanks .... alot *sobs sobs - runs away

My friend said he is using Tamiya, and mentioned that there's lead in it. Are there anything else out there that has no lead?
Old 11-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #7
Monstructor
Generation 1

this is really good to know.. because at one point, i was planning to be cheap and go for the KO version... but then again, i realized that one of my KO shadow commander trailer was coated with some paint that felt like lead. I changed my mind after that... (getting the idea that all KO's are bad) Not like i'm planning to bite on the toy or something but in case i forget to wash my hands after or something..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
So I guess there are two parts to this, the paint stripping process and the paint application process. I don't know if this helps you or applies to your situation but there was a concern that the paints used in the recent KO MP Sideswipe were toxic. Many are buying them to sand down the paint and do custom paint jobs. But people were concerned about inhaling the dust particles while stripping down the paint. Of course, there was also a concern if children should be playing with them at all. I refer you to post #735 of this thread. A member actually took the time to run a XRF test on the paint. Read on for the results.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #8
Monstructor
Generation 1

Yeah.. my friend is pretty anal about that one.. he bought a 3M gas mask to make sure he doesnt inhale any of the stuff he sprays out from the airbrush... and he does it outside on the sundeck patio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chans formers View Post
you should be safe to continue building devs.
when you get to the actual priming/painting/etc,make sure you have proper ventilation.
like others have said,acrylics have less fumes than enamels do.
once it fully cures/hardens(i usually wait about a day for acrylics and 3 days for enamels)it should be pretty much done "off-gassing".
as others also said,just don't eat it though

once fully cured though,if anything,imho the stock paint hastak uses would be more toxic.that stuff's a total pain in the ... to remove and sometimes damn near impossible.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:56 AM   #9
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!

I think you're being way too paranoid about this.

I regularly airbrush with very toxic lacquers exclusively nowadays. I have a filtered spray-booth that vents out the fumes while filtering out the dust and particles, and I wear a filtered gas-mask.

Just don't inhale the fumes or particles. Once the stuff is dry and doesn't smell like much anymore (couple of days), you're pretty much safe to go, except if you're going out of your way to lick your toys.

I'm not really sure why you'd be so concerned about this. Like chansformers said, a repainted/customized toy wouldn't be particularly any more or less toxic than a stock Hasbro or Takara toy anyways.

TFs and other toys for sale! (last updated: Post-TFCon2018):
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=72568

Custom Double-Detolfs:
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=47820

Looking for:
- Cybertron Hot Shot
- Cybertron Defense Hot Shot
- G1 Repugnus
- G1 Scowl (with Monstructor foot)
- G1 Icepick small gun
- G1 Fire Guts God Ginrai
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
Mumps
Canadian Slag

If you are spraying, doing it outside, or in an open garage is the IDEAL way to go, though as long as you have good ventilation you should be fine.

If you are brushing, that would be the absolute safest. The fumes that come off of most acrylic paints can vary between mild (most Tamiya) to very strong (a really amazing Silver paint CyberMnky lent me), and I wouldn't worry too much about the fumes unless you are prone to headaches from strong smells.

I do all of my brush painting in my basement, which is the same room I do... everything. My TV, Computer and my toys are all down there in the same place as my work table.

Once your toys have fully cured, there is absolutely nothing to worry about. Just don't go snacking on them, and you'll be fine.

Also... I am certain that Tamiya doesn't contain Lead. The majority of my paints are Tamiya and I've never seen that mentioned anywhere.
Mumps is offline   Reply With Quote