Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 07-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #161
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin
Re: Transformers: Dark of the Moon Review Thread (Spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
I think Optimus was still tangled in the cables during that time. And yes, Bumblebee is the one who destroyed the pillar in the end, but it was Wheelie and Brains who started the chain of events that led to the pillar falling down to ground level from the building and at the same time saving Bumblebee's life so he could kill Soundwave and tackle the pillar to destroy Cybertron. Good job Bee.

Just watched it again. It is indeed OP that shoots it down. Right after he rips Shockwaves eye out he turns and blasts it. Wheelie and Brains did make impact with a building that was either the same or similar but did not take out any of the cupolas.

On side note; We are to assume Wheelie and Brains didn't make it, but the speed at which the ship crashed was so slow anyone could have survived.
razin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #162
Big Filipino
Protectobot

I got another free pass and may watch it for a third time this weekend. One question that dawned on me, did they explain why or when the Decepticons began hiding out of the moon?
Big Filipino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #163
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Filipino View Post
I got another free pass and may watch it for a third time this weekend. One question that dawned on me, did they explain why or when the Decepticons began hiding out of the moon?
Anytime you find yourself asking a question that starts out like this, "Did they explain...?" the answer has a 99% chance of being no. The best thing to do in general is not to ask questions if you intend to keep liking the movie.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #164
Big Filipino
Protectobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
Anytime you find yourself asking a question that starts out like this, "Did they explain...?" the answer has a 99% chance of being no. The best thing to do in general is not to ask questions if you intend to keep liking the movie.
Ignorance is bliss.
Big Filipino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #165
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Filipino View Post
Ignorance is bliss.
And "Happiness is a warm gun"...

I wrestled over questions like these after I viewed DotM 3 weeks ago, then I hap and epiphany: IT'S ONLY ENTERTAINMENT.

It's not supposed to make sense.

I liken DotM to Monty Python's film "The Meaning of Life": Some people expect some deep meaning to it all. Those of us in the know (who have seen the first two or "Pearl Harbor", the "Bad Boys" films or "The Island") who are aware of Michael Bay's strengths and weaknesses will likely enjoy the movie knowing it'll be a whole buch of lovely looking noinsense. And those of us expecting Simon Furman-esque depth and mythology that is true to all things geewun will not get all they are looking for.

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #166
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwankenobi View Post

I wrestled over questions like these after I viewed DotM 3 weeks ago, then I hap and epiphany: IT'S ONLY ENTERTAINMENT.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. Storytelling in all it's forms should make sense within the rules set out within the story by the writer and common sense.

If it's not supposed to make sense then what's the point of having a story at all? If there's no story, the action is all meaningless noise that to me at least is boring. No writer in their right mind would deliberatley write something that doesn't make sense. How it ends up well... that's a completely different point.

Last edited by Sun Swipe Prime; 07-16-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Sun Swipe Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #167
gagagalvatron
Half psychotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwankenobi View Post

I have to strongly disagree with this too. I think it lets filmmakers off the hook too easily. It also lets filmmakers know that we will settle for crap as long as it is flashy enough and throws enough crumbs on the floor for fanboys.

Look at the huge difference between the Star Wars original films and the prequels. While story and character are not the only issues there, they are big ones. People care about Star Wars because of the characters and the story. People don't care about the prequels because those things took a backseat to CGI, the plot was incomprehensible, and the characters ranged from thin and underdeveloped to flat-out annoying.

Transformers is "about" action, yes. But the reason it has survived for 25+ years is because of the mythos, the characters, and the richness of it all. The G1 cartoon is hardly perfect, but it did attempt to tell stories, develop characters, and show off what it would be like if there were a bunch of giant transforming robots around.

Please don't mistake this as saying "I only want G1". I'll say it again: I don't care if it's G1 authentic. I don't care if Optimus Prime is a neon green submarine or a Mini Cooper.

What matters is what you do with it all. Do you tell a story worth telling? Are the characters interesting? Do they grow and develop?

DOTM is all surface. For a movie "about" transforming robots, few of them have anything resembling actual characters or personalities and their primary function is as plot devices. None of them grow or change. Optimus Prime looks right and is visually amazing but is unrecognizable personality wise.

I think about "Aliens" a lot these days. I can name all the characters, talk about their personalities, their relationships with one another, how they influenced the plot. It was a fairly large cast, and because of that, the characters tended towards "types" and were not Shakespeare deep. But still -- you felt for them as they struggled and especially if one of them bit it. Every piece of dialogue mattered. Even the most minor character in "Aliens" had more of a character than any of the robots in DOTM outside of Prime and Sentinel.

This, to me, is the potential for Transformers. You can have a large cast (within reason) and still give everyone a personality and something to do so that you care about them. So that they matter. Not because it's a name we know from the franchise (like Ironhide or Jazz) but because we genuinely feel for the character and his or her place within the story.

You can have this and have action and have entertainment. It doesn't have to be just one. But the more people say "it's just a summer blockbuster" or "turn off your brain to enjoy it" or "it's Michael Bay -- it's supposed to be stupid", the more directors like Bay feel they can just shovel any old shit in our direction and we'll lap it up, ask for more, and tell the critics they're being unrealistic.

I don't think it's being unrealistic to ask for more. They've got the look down. Now it's time to find the heart and soul.
gagagalvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #168
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagagalvatron View Post
I don't think it's being unrealistic to ask for more. They've got the look down. Now it's time to find the heart and soul.
Ditto... on all of it.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #169
rego00123
Machine War

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagagalvatron View Post
Optimus Prime looks right and is visually amazing but is unrecognizable personality wise.

optimus prime had a personality in g1?

it is funny how many people complain the new movies are stereotypes and that turns them off when almost the entire cast of characters in g1 was stereotypical in some way. the reason many got upset that movie bumble bee didnt talk was because (in g1) he was one of the very few that had any personality at all (or at least the only one that got to show it)

i think the issue is "what is" transfomers? for many people its a memory associated with the franchise and nothing to do with what the actual content it brought forth was.

Last edited by rego00123; 07-17-2011 at 05:50 PM.
rego00123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #170
Mighty_Galvatron
Canadian Slag

Q is a reference to James Bond no doubt. Though it is also a reference to Star Trek as a character named Q existed in the Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager universe. With all the other Star Trek references in DOTM, could Q be another?
Mighty_Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote