Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-24-2014, 10:20 PM   #31
Hellboy
Alternator
Re: Your thoughts on the 86 Movie

For me the Animated Movie was a landmark in my cartoon universe... it was the first time I witnessed regular characters being killed off. The opening moments were a complete shocker.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #32
Harry Prime
Post and roll out!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwankenobi View Post
TFTM '86 in the jjwan-verse plays out like this:
  • Optimus survives his fight with Megatron but goes into a coma-like stasis lock
  • At Optimus' request Magnus installs the Matrix in himself as a safekeeping move
  • Hot Rod goes AWOL and crazy, intent on hunting down Megatron and finishing him off once and for all
  • Starscream discards of Megatron in deep space but the leader is intercepted by Shockwave which thwarts Unicron's plans
  • Shockwave (unknowingly guided by Unicron) transplants Megatron's consciousness into a clone of Optimus Prime with intent on replacing Prime with the reborn Decepticon Leader who now calls himself "Galvatron"
  • Unbeknownst to Shockwave and Galvatron the imposter Matrix in the clone body contains a shard of Unicron's heart which will act as a massive WMD when combined with the Autobot Matrix of Leadership
  • During Starscream's coronation Unicron attacks Cybertron and its moons. Autobots on Earth respond, fighting alongside Decepticons though many perish.
  • "Galvatron" appears claiming to be Optimus, heralding all Cybertronians to fight together. Unicron directs Galvatron to take the Matrix from Ultra Magnus which would wipe out all life in the galaxy leaving only planet husks for the planet eater to feast on for a millenia
  • A seemingly deranged Hot Rod reappears, revealing his knowledge of "Galvatron's" origins and Shockwave's unwitting at doing Unicron's biddings. Hot Rod fights past Ultra Magnus (who accepted Galvatron as Optimus, having lost all communication with Earth where Prime lies in state) to get to Galvatron, ripping the imposter Matrix from his chest. Hot Rod also takes the true Matrix from the incapacitated Magnus
  • The imposter Optimus turns black (i.e. MP-10B) as Hot Rod ascends into Unicron's maw, then detonates both true and imposter Matrix within Unicron, destroying him.
  • A weakened Optimus Prime arrives from Earth in the aftermath while Galvatron/Nemesis Prime flees with a small group of Decepticon hold outs (i.e., Starscream, Soundwave, Shockwave and the surviving Seekers) who refuse to unite with the Autobots
  • Ultra Magnus finds the true Matrix amongst the rubble, faintly glowing with the spark provided by Hot Rod through his bravery and sacrifice, and hands it to Optimus
  • End scene as Optimus recites the 'Till All Are One speech as the burnt out shell of Unicron's planet mode orbits Cybertron as its new moon
I like to think the outcome of TFTM '86 is immutable and that changing certain key moments may still result in a similar ending, like the wacky guilty-pleasure Infinites series of STAR WARS comics.
Dude, this is pretty much genius, great ideas in there. Would make a great G1 re-make imo. It was fun just reading your ideas.
Harry Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #33
Pascal
Banned

I watched it again this morning while giving the bottle to my daughter. Last time was when the DVD came out. The animation is great, but the soundtrack still is embarrassing, as is dancing scene with Hot Rod, and the voice acting for Unicron's final words was poorly done. Still decent entertainment though.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #34
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Prime View Post
Dude, this is pretty much genius, great ideas in there. Would make a great G1 re-make imo. It was fun just reading your ideas.

Thanks man. If I had the motivation I'd organize all of us to film our favourite scenes from TFTM '86 and edit them all togther like they did with the brilliant The Empire Strikes Back Uncut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I watched it again this morning while giving the bottle to my daughter.
Good times, PapaPascal!

For my firstborn Star Trek TOS supplied the soundtrack as I fed him from the bottle.

My daughter enjoyed the dulcet tones of all 3 seasons of Miami Vice.

For our third he was fed while the G1 series played in the background, hence why he's so attached to his G1 stuffies at bedtime.

Last edited by jjwankenobi; 11-27-2014 at 04:34 PM.
jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #35
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

I literally watch it every one to two weeks. The "it's over Prime" and Optimus death scene are my favorites.

My daughter likes "excuse me!" and "how do you feel mighty Meagtron?" YUHHH!
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #36
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

I watch it every 2 weeks with my son. He falls asleep to the score every night
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #37
Ironwave
Seek and Destroy

The first time my nephew saw it with me, his reactions were " Can Starscream be any stupider?, he shoots at his leg and then he kicks Megatron while Megs can barely move" while he says that he was like . But then he couldn't stop laughing when Grimlock goes "Me Grimlock kick butt!!"
Old 11-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #38
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
For me the Animated Movie was a landmark in my cartoon universe...
Well summarized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
I literally watch it every one to two weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wervenom View Post
I watch it every 2 weeks with my son.
You 2 are my heros!

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:01 AM   #39
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
And the voice acting for Unicron's final words was poorly done. Still decent entertainment though.
I remember my first viewing as a kid I was like "Is that intentional? Is he suppose to sound like he got punched in the gut?"

And ya, the soundtrack is kinda embarrassing in some parts. As a kid I thought it sounded super cool, but not so now. As was a lot of things in the '80s and '90s
Old 11-28-2014, 12:47 AM   #40
Ironwave
Seek and Destroy

I downloaded the movie on my computer and covert it to mp3 and transferred it on my phone, now I can listen to it whenever or sometimes when I go to go to bed. Yeah I am that crazy, but at least I didn't locked myself in my room for a week when Prime died or didn't name my kids Megatron and Optimus Prime (who names there kids like that)