Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2008, 10:30 AM   #11
neospike
Generation 2
Re: Star Wars Animated Series to Debut in Theatres August 15th

The DVD release for this is November 18th.
neospike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:37 AM   #12
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Watched the Movie, loved the movie. Just don't go into expecting that live action Star Wars feel. It's perfect for what it is, a launch to the series and expanding the Clone Wars.

Loved Asoka and her interactions with Anakin.

Rotta the Hutt, and including the Hutt clans in the Clone Wars in general was a nice touch.

Ziro reminded me of Elton John , esspecially his look.

IG-86 and the Magna Droids were a nice addition.

Can't wait for the series!

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #13
theLostSeeker
Generation 1

I saw the movie last night. It was ok. I didn't come in with any expectations, so I wasn't disappointed. It is clearly aimed at kids, but with some discreet nods to the older fans.
I really liked the way the presented the clones' battle scenes, it felt as if we were running with them.
I was disappointed to not see General Grievous, I guess I'll have to wait for the series.

I give it a very generous 6/10.
theLostSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:25 AM   #14
Barpharanges
Beast Machine

Saw it yesterday. For a kids movie, it is brutally violent in places. The poor clones get blown up as horribly as the battle droids, but the droids don't scream in pain as much.
I was impressed with the animation style. I hate Gennady Tartakovsky's lack of perspective style from the Clone Wars shorts so seeing the characters and vehicles with actual structure and form was a treat. The computer graphics were rendered as if everything was roughly shaded with a paintbush (with brushstrokes!) and it gave a warm feeling to the designs normally lacking in computer animations.
Most importantly, my son loved it. Will see again/buy on DVD.
Barpharanges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:11 PM   #15
Protoman
The Legend

This is the first time since the special edition Trilogy movie releases did I not go see a Star Wars movie on it's opening day....... I hope it's good when I see it tommorow.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #16
Incepticon
Double Agent

I had a feeling this new animated movie wasn't going to do as well as many SW fans naturally expected, but I'm still a little surpised that it tanked so badly... so far.

Tropic Thunder achieved #1 with $26 Million and finally bumped The Dark Knight to 2nd place for the first time in 5 weeks, TDK made another $17 Million and has now officially become the #2 highest grossing movie of all time (pushing the original Star Wars to #3 but still behind #1 champ Titanic), and SW Clone Wars came in at #3 with only $15.5 Million, which by SW standards, is considered a massive flop by studios and "industry insiders". At least according to every entertainment news reporting agency out there. Though I'm sure the SW forums & die hard fans are singing a different tune.
Incepticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:15 PM   #17
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incepticon View Post
I had a feeling this new animated movie wasn't going to do as well as many SW fans naturally expected, but I'm still a little surpised that it tanked so badly... so far.

Tropic Thunder achieved #1 with $26 Million and finally bumped The Dark Knight to 2nd place for the first time in 5 weeks, TDK made another $17 Million and has now officially become the #2 highest grossing movie of all time (pushing the original Star Wars to #3 but still behind #1 champ Titanic), and SW Clone Wars came in at #3 with only $15.5 Million, which by SW standards, is considered a massive flop by studios and "industry insiders". At least according to every entertainment news reporting agency out there. Though I'm sure the SW forums & die hard fans are singing a different tune.
Well, the Star Wars forums have actually been far more positive in their reveiws than the critics have. But I think they get that it was never meant to be a big theatrical deal. Actually I feel like the hardcore fans have been kinder to this than they were to the prequels.........

Still the numbers are surprising..... I would guess they were expecting a bigger opening weekend, but nobody associated with Star Wars was thinking this was going to do numbers like the live action movies did. It was always billed as the TV series put on the big screen.

That said the entire series cost about 30 million to produce from what I've heard, meaning it will be almost paid for before they ever even sell any comercial time

How much has TDK made thus far that its already passed Star Wars domestically? I didn't think it was that close yet, but then I haven't been paying close attention either.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #18
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Titanic 600 million
Dark Knight 471 million
Star Wars 460 million

Very interesting, but still world wide the Dark Knight has a ways to go. I cross my fingers that it can catch titanic....

Also adjusted for inflation Gone with the Wind is #1 and Star Wars A New Hope #2

The World Wide totals are crazy though, never thought the Pirates or Harry Potter movies were that huge, but they are.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #19
niteowl
Machine War

471 million domestic
734 worldwide.
domestically
ahead of star wars now,
for number 2,
and could pass titanic
for number 1.
but with inflation,
still behind starwars domestically.
and no where near them worldwide
niteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #20
Incepticon
Double Agent

Yeah, there's no worries at all about Lucas making making back the $30 Million it cost to make Clone Wars. They'll probably have that accomplished before next weekend. But I don't think we'll this sitting in theaters very long.

The Dark Knight is now sitting $471.5 million domestically. Star Wars used to sit at #2 position with $460 Million.

They expect that TDK will probably top out around the $525 Million mark by the time its theatrical run is over... still $80 Million away from being able to beat Titanic... which apparently no one thinks ANY movie can or will ever do since it made that much money back when ticket prices were half the price of what they are today. But still, the fact that TDK blew away everyone else and came this close to all time #1 is astonishing. I knew it would be wildly successful and everything, but I never expected a Batman movie to clear half a Billion. I don't envy the kind of pressure that'll put on everyone for the third sequel and hope to hell they don't sell it out like the original Batman movies or murder it like they did with Spider-Man 3.

--

Woops, you already beat me to it while I was posting my reply. Now I look redundant. ;p

Personally speaking, I pay NO attention to the 'adjusted for inflation' stats some of these sites like to pull out since it's all theoretical hindsight.

Last edited by Incepticon; 08-17-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Incepticon is offline   Reply With Quote