Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 05-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #11
wheeljaxx
Always in pain.
Re: loking for some words of wisdom/ different perspectives on selling my Brave Max

OK, great advise everyone, thanx. taking it ALL in. still debating.

Here's a bit more info on the sitch.

I got him as a Pre-order, when he was just $200ish, and about the same time Ages 3 and up had the $8 flat rate shipping, so, yeah, i had NO EFFORT in getting this guy at all. at the time i was spending 500 - 1k per month on my collection, and this was just another cool figure to have at the time. there is no story, no trek, no history, no hard work to get him etc. he just is a part of my collection.

AND THAT is why i feel confused. i've been selling off my collection since my mom died ( about 3000 pieces down to a rough 3 or 4 hundred now) and keeping ONLY the ones that actually DO have a story, or history, like my 1984 set, or my diaclones, Wheeljack and Soundwave figures. I have a few choice pieces left like Liokaiser, and every transforming Camera to date, and i even buy a few classics now and then. i'm actually currently trying to build the 1984 series in classics.

Brave max is the first and only figure that has given me doubt that i have no reason to feel doubt over, other than maybe is status being so wanted. i think maybe it's that so many people want him, and i have him, i should keep it, but i don't really think thats logical excuse. but there is that doubt. it boggles my mind.

i guess my collection focus isn't as much shifting, as opposed to just being weeded out.i have pretty much everything i wanted, except maybe the dino casettes, so now i'm just selling the ones i don't want.

and for he who asked, it is Brave Max, BUT, for a short time, a company had made a limited run of the 2 large guns in either blue or red. They were $90 a set i believe, and very limited. i bought the red ones. Gasket and Grommet are KO resin copies from someone in Australia. they didn't stay available too long either. they are in FORT MAX colors though, and have no stickers, but are amazing quality.

if i were to sell him, i'd probably pick up Classics Sun Streaker, and then take a road trip this fall. Last year i drove Route 66 down to New Mexico. Maybe this year i'd go to Jasper and see the rockies. my Brother is in Sask, and i'd love to see my Nephews.
wheeljaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #12
gagagalvatron
Half psychotic
Re: loking for some words of wisdom/ different perspectives on selling my Brave Max

I had a G1 Fortress Maximus. I sold it and I don't regret it.

Some of what I'm going to say will no doubt sound like heresy to some here. The important thing is to figure out what is important to you and why this one gives you doubt.

In my case, I lived in a tiny house, so space was always an issue. But I also came to realize I never liked any of the "base/building" transformers. While they all had something cool about them, they also transformed into extremely ad-hoc jumbles that left me cold. When I examined this fully, I realized that I would much rather devote space and money to vehicles.

The only thing I really liked about Fort Max was the headmaster-on-a-headmaster Spike/Cerebros thing. That was clever. The rest was a bricky robot that transformed into a blocky building that didn't do much. It certainly didn't do much for me.

Now, circumstances change. I now live in a big house and I have an entire room for Transformers. While I do admit it would be neat to have the full complement of Headmasters, I still don't miss Fort Max. I don't need him anymore, and he doesn't represent what I consider to be what is awesome about Transformers.

I think it comes down to: what is your collection about? What is important to you and why? What things really excite you? What things leave you cold? What would you never part with and why? What ideas just really don't do it for you?

That said, try and think a few years down the road. Would anything change your mind? Would changing circumstances make a difference? In my case, they could have made a difference if space were the only issue.
gagagalvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #13
bedtime
Nexus Maximus

i can share a (maybe?) similar story?

i moved into a new apartment like 2 months ago... as i was sort of taking inventory of my wordly possessions i realized i had quite a lot of musical equipment that i wasnt really using, but had built a sort of sentimental attachment to. what i decided to to was just sell a bunch of stuff i figured i could get by without, and it was actually pretty exciting to rake in like $1400 on stuff i wasn't even REALLY using! with the money i bought a nice flatscreen tv and a ps3 and some furniture for the new apt.

i somehow see your story relating to this one... you say you'd take a nice long road trip with the money, and at least it seems to me, that you'd enjoy that MUCH more than the toy, and when you got back you wouldn't miss it at all.
bedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #14
Pascal
Banned

I would never sell Transformers to afford things in the short term, especially things that don't last like trips. I would regret it. There are other ways to make/save money.

Last edited by Pascal; 05-27-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote