Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 12-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
NeverNotGaming
Mini-Con
Worthless MP-5?

Gentlemen and Ladies, I need your advise.

A number of years ago I purchased a MP-5 Megatron off of Ebay. It came with the “Upgrade Package”, and the only things against it were that the box was damaged (which I didn’t care about since I intended to display) and Kremzeek was missing. It also had die-cast replacement parts for the legs/gun grip, which I though weird but kinda cool.

When it arrive, I was disappointed by the blemishes on the chrome (which I now know to be a common problem) and the quality of MP-5 in general. It seemed rickety and transforming it wasn’t as fun as I expected. But I put it out for display thinking I’d never have to worry about it.

The very FIRST night, my cat (who was little more than a kitten at the time) decided to investigate him, knocking him to the floor. This caused the dual tragedy of a) breaking off the feet of the upgrade package stand (what would be the part rising against your shoulder in gun mode), and more importantly b) sending Megatron’s arm cannon into a nearby garbage pail. I repaired the feet with super glue, but the pail was emptied before I noticed the cannon was missing, and the piece was never seen again.

Once I realized what happened, it broke my heart and kinda put me off of collecting Transformers for a number of years. I packed Megatron in a bin, where he’s stayed ever since. But I’ve gotten my spirit back again and discovered this lovely website you all have built. So I figured I’d turn to you and ask the question: is there any value in this guy? Would I be wasting my time trying to sell him? Should I maybe just chuck him in the bin?

http://i.imgur.com/wHmUYpC.jpg
NeverNotGaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #2
chovner
Titanium
chovner's Ebay Auctions
Re: Worthless MP-5?

This story is so damn sad I need a drink
chovner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #3
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

You might be able to sell him for parts. The add on kit if you still have it complete would be worth selling. Incidentally welcome to the boards
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
thebobkat
Canadian Slag

It might be hard to sell right now (except maybe as parts for someone repairing theirs) due to the 3rd party X-Transbots Apollyon coming soon:

http://tfsource.com/xtransbots/Apollyon/

...and the rumor that Takara/Tomy is working on a v2.0 MP Megatron that corrects the issues and proportions/aesthetics in MP-5, and make it scale to MP-10 Optimus.

If Takara doesn't actually make a new version, then it might still have some value as some collectors don't buy 3rd party figures and stick to official releases. We're in that limbo right now as there hasn't been any official word from Takara/Tomy/Hasbro.

Buy/Sell/Trade Thread Updated DEC 28 2023

Last edited by thebobkat; 12-11-2014 at 08:49 PM.
thebobkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #5
RaidenisOP
Plastic Spark

Wow... what an emotional thrill ride

Sorry to hear of your misfortune mate... a rough entry to the boards for sure but welcome none the less.

I'm sure he has value to the right person... can't hurt to put him on a sales thread or ebay listing as long as you are honest and accurate about what's missing and or damaged. You never know

Feedback Thread
RaidenisOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #6
NeverNotGaming
Mini-Con

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. Sorry for bumming anyone out.

RaidenisOP, I think I'll take your suggestion and post a sales thread. Maybe someone will be looking for parts one day and stumble across it.

thebobkat, I am so very much aware of Apollyon. I absolutely drooling for him. I'm just waiting to hear what the quality of the build is like (once bitten, twice shy, I suppose). I even purchased a Hasbro MP-10, since a new Megatron would be poorly size against my MP-1. So excited!

Thanks again everyone!
NeverNotGaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:07 PM   #7
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

The add on kit (stock and silencer) can fetch a fair penny. Very hard to find these days.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #8
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

The repaired upgrade kit could still fetch a hundred or more, I'd think. The no-cannon Megatron could be customizer fodder or sold for parts to repair a broken Megs - maybe $50?

In your shoes I'd post it for $150 for all with the info on what happened and is repaired/missing and see if there are any takers. If not, lower the price a bit, rinse and repeat.
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #9
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

Uncle Billy still has the upgrade kit for sell at US $39.00 / piece
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...536652665.html

I bought one, and note there are some rusty screws, but nothing big deal. I understand it was the storage condition caused that, and I just replace them with new screws once I received the kit.

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #10
BluMetalMonkey
Generation 1

If you're interested in keeping your Megatron figure here's an ebay listing for what appears to be a fusion canon that came from an MP5 that you could maybe purchase to restore your Megatron =) :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transformers...item339a014b83

(side-note: I have never dealt with this seller so I have no idea how reliable they are)
BluMetalMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote