Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-22-2019, 03:16 AM   #61
ssjgoku22
Nexus Maximus
Re: The Siege Ultra Magnus pic, seems like Voyager class

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
Y'all take this shit too seriously. Buy a toy or don't. Screeching at each other over plastic toy things. Hilariously stupid, but stupid.

GIVE ME BEDSIZE BROADSIDE OR GIVE ME DEATH
Honestly, I agree with you. If you like it, buy it, if you don't, move on. I suggest everyone should watch this video by Bobby Skullface. It really hits home with a lot of the decisions we make as collectors (namely money).

https://youtu.be/i3_sGTHlBOU
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:21 AM   #62
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjgoku22 View Post
Honestly, I agree with you. If you like it, buy it, if you don't, move on. I suggest everyone should watch this video by Bobby Skullface. It really hits home with a lot of the decisions we make as collectors (namely money).

https://youtu.be/i3_sGTHlBOU
Just watched it, and honestly, he misses the mark on many things I find.

I just got into an argument in another thread were it was clear that some members don't understand a few things at all and would rather be arrogant about their views...condescending towards anyone that doesn't see it their way.

When it comes to collecting, a person will like something, some like the movies figures, others just the G1, etc. but what we collect is what defines our style of collecting.

Trouble is, some figures have become so very expensive that many can no longer afford them...

My point was that the company making these figures are inflating the prices, and I don't sugar coat it. When you know that companies that are able to mass produce, with all the research, development, plastic and wrapping, etc, most figures are only worth a fraction that they are sold for, but companies will go with prices that people take as gospel. This applies to all manufactured goods.

Do I believe that toys are overpriced, yes, absolutely.

Do I find it right? no, it prevents those that are limited financially from getting figures that they'd love to get.

Is it right to say "don't buy if you can't afford"? Well due, of course, but it sucks that one can't afford something because a company is trying to maximize their cash flow.

For me, I technically can afford most things, but I still am picky, extremely picky for many reasons. Even if I would be a billionaire, I still wouldn't just go and get everything out there just because I could afford it.

So as I've stated before... it's absolutely fine to state that one can find something overpriced, but they still get it simply because you want to have it (and can afford it).

For this silly debate about scale...

The siege Ultra Magnus, once you have it next to the other Siege figures and most Deluxe figures or such that are within a similar scale, he does absolutely work well. He's only slightly taller but he's also much bulkier, so he feels "right" to me, as I see some figures that do end up much too tall... think of a "team" going inside the Ark to fly to another planet... having one character having to crawl on hands and knees to get in would be silly... so this guy, in human terms would be the 6'3 weightlifter guy compared to the 5'10 -6' average sized guys getting into a bus. Check it out below where I have all of the Siege (and others) together.

Transformers have managed to be all over the map, and I get figures because I like them, fit in my collection, and yes, I prefer when they "match" well together, but then, I'm the guy that has an office like this at home... try to name them all... it's a challenge.

p.s. that's just part of it....

Last edited by imfallenangel; 01-22-2019 at 10:32 AM.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:42 PM   #63
79transam
Machine War

Elitism. The elephant in the room.
In many cases the people who relish in having the most inflated price collectibles, find a sense of joy in being able to have more than others.
And that's fine. But making long winded videos to try to skirt around that fact is a HUGE facade'.
BS makes some valid points too, but it's often what ISN'T spoken that has the most gravity.
All to each their own but when your initials are BS and your self imposed catch phrase is TRUTH.... it still smells like BS
79transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #64
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79transam View Post
Elitism. The elephant in the room.
In many cases the people who relish in having the most inflated price collectibles, find a sense of joy in being able to have more than others.
And that's fine. But making long winded videos to try to skirt around that fact is a HUGE facade'.
BS makes some valid points too, but it's often what ISN'T spoken that has the most gravity.
All to each their own but when your initials are BS and your self imposed catch phrase is TRUTH.... it still smells like BS
Yup...

Many forget that it comes down these are TOYS, that are meant for parents to buy for children, even if some are targeting the adults a bit more...

How does it feel to tell an adult that "sorry you're not rich enough, don't make enough, to be able to afford children toys!".. cause I've seen some act like this on here lately with the whole price debate.

Note that a few cannot wrap their heads that it's a complete other thing when we talk about the actual collectibles, which most aren't meant to be handled... just posed and displayed, which for me, goes against what I want. If I can't "play" with it, it's not getting purchased. Heck, the Macross planes, gorgeous, but when it takes 1/2 an hour to transform, one bad move and it breaks, and at 200-300$ ++++ no way I'd go there. And when you see a few Transformers or other that are 10-20$, and have a great transformation, won't break easily, it's a fact... it can be done (decent toy) for an affordable price, but companies just want to cash in as fast and as much.

For me, the most laughable falsity/lie I see is "plastic is expensive" arguments and according to the white knights it warrants the jump of 50% or so in prices... plastic is cheap as heck people... it you can buy items that are 20x larger than transformers made of same or similar plastics for a few dollars, you're fooling yourselves. Assembly, workmanship I'd agree that it would add to the price, but not the 1$'s worth of plastic... heck, anyone that wants to argue this... I'd say; go melt your figure in a lump and go ask how much that lump of plastic is worth... Heck, I had someone argue that the Diaclone pilots were so pricy (Bandai ones are about 60-70$ for just one tiny armour suit) was because of the price of the magnets in their feet... a magnet the size of a pencil lead, when you can buy a quality of magnets for 20$ that would be enough to make several thousands of these figures.

Anyways.... Remember G1, where the full set came out and stayed out for a few years in stores, permitting most kids to get a chance to get them... now, you miss a 3-4 month window of release, and the odds of finding a figure disappears rather quickly. Sometimes they pop up at Winners/Canadian Tire or such a year later, but it's a gamble.

And that makes collectors jump a lot more than ever... So yup Siege is the very first series that has ever pulled me in like this and I didn't want to risk missing any so while hoping for a sale, I just got them as I saw them... I hate that I feel like that, I hate to feed the machine, and I won't after this series, I will get some more when they come out with something great, I'm sure, but after Siege, I'll be back to they'll have to seriously impress me for me to take my wallet out again... (unless liquidation or massive sales at that point).

Last edited by imfallenangel; 01-22-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:55 PM   #65
79transam
Machine War

When I first started collecting MP Scale Transformers I was able to justify higher costs because the rarity held their resale value. It held it's monetary value for it's collecting supply/demand status.
Then the reissues started coming. And it essentially devalued original runs.
So this isn't a gripe I have with other collectors being able to acquire the pieces they want, it's a gripe I have with how the companies use a supply and demand quandary to illicit high price points, and then devalue their own product by changing the supply parameters later on.
Of course that's so 2017 and here we are now in 2019 all trained like little monkeys to actaully pay 700 bucks for an Optimus Prime to replace our 300 dollar Optimus Prime. Ya.
And the phrase "Take my money now" is starting to wear off. That's so 2018 ��
Now it's the Elitism driving sales. The belief that you won't fit in with the crowd if you don't boast about spending foolish amounts of money on toys.
It's not really that cool to encourage companies to price gouge just so you can once again be that guy who manages to get that figure not everyone can get.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #66
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one

The new stage of pricing we see reminds me of the saying
"some people have more money than brains". There is no value in what is being released for the price they charge, a chunk of plastic called optimus prime is not worth $500+ Canadian, if i do get that mold it will be a KO that is priced more reasonably.
Matrix_Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:20 PM   #67
79transam
Machine War

My hypothesis is that some of the KO companies are just offshoots of Takara.
A way to cunningly appeal to both markets without doing perceivable damage to the "official" buyers market.
It's just my opinion, don't feel like debating it.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:49 PM   #68
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix_Holder View Post
The new stage of pricing we see reminds me of the saying
"some people have more money than brains". There is no value in what is being released for the price they charge, a chunk of plastic called optimus prime is not worth $500+ Canadian, if i do get that mold it will be a KO that is priced more reasonably.
Talking about elitism and what something is worth. It's what really broke me and led to reducing my collection. Looking at FunPub Thunder Mayhem and Predacus on my shelf plus the Magnaboss you could cobble together with two exclusives and the three retail toys.

12 toys representing basically 1200 fucking dollars.

Much as I'd love to own MP BW Megatron and BW Dinobot, two fucking toys representing $700 is nothing I wish to justify.

So, pick your poison. If you have the disposable income and are so inclined to buy everything, high-end shit, expensive 3p, more power. But jfc.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:22 PM   #69
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79transam View Post
My hypothesis is that some of the KO companies are just offshoots of Takara.
A way to cunningly appeal to both markets without doing perceivable damage to the "official" buyers market.
It's just my opinion, don't feel like debating it.

Wouldn't surprise me.. I had to get KOs to finish my Bruticus, and if not for the symbol not being Decepticon ones (but some sort of generic), I wouldn't be able to tell them apart from any of my other Combiner Wars figures. The plastic is the same in every way, and I cannot see anything different in the molds from the images of the "authentic ones". And right now, I look at the other combiners KO selling at 1/3 of the price of "authentic" ones and it's a no brainer.