Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-11-2015, 01:31 AM   #11
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!
Re: strip LEDs lights for my transformers collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
I use IKEA strips. The are warm, which I like. I live in a century home, not a loft. You can see in my collection thread.
Your set up is so clean and well executed. It was what inspired me to tackle my lighting project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deception View Post
Are the ones on eBay worth buying and are they easily removed once you stick them on?
Which ones? Link?
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:12 AM   #12
Deception
Crossover

http://m.ebay.ca/itm/5M-3528-5050-28...d=520353917630

I'm looking for cheapest but best looking option. I have no problem with wiring it myself
Deception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:11 AM   #13
justprime
Animated

Is there a uv worry with these lights? Don't need the yellowing factor.
justprime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #14
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justprime View Post
Is there a uv worry with these lights? Don't need the yellowing factor.
Short answer is no.

Quote:
Are the ones on eBay worth buying and are they easily removed once you stick them on?
Once you stick them on, they are on quite well. I made a mistake in my set up and needed to peel off one of the strips and basically that strip was not reusable. So they stick quite well. They will leave a sticky film on the glass when peeled. I have noticed over time, sometimes they peel off naturally in random spots. It's a matter of gently applying pressure and it's back on again. I have even gone as far as added a tiny drop of Gorilla Glue, but that was on the top level where the strip is stuck to wood.

Quote:
Seems like you are looking to achieve something similar to what I did. You need to make a decision on what type of strips you want to go with because that will dictate what parts you need.

The three main types of strip lights are 3528, 5050 and 5630. The higher the number, the brighter the bulb. Number of LEDs per reel will also factor into your decision. I went with 3528 type 300 LEDs per reel (standard), non-water resistant. I have lined three of four edges of each shelf with a stirp so I did not require a brighter bulb type. Plus I wanted to keep my power draw as low as possible. This I found to be the most economical solution for my needs.

Keep in mind that 3528 strips are 8mm wide. The others are 10mm. The connectors and couplers you buy will need to match. Of course, the solderless connections are so much more convenient.

Here's a reference I used to help make my decision.

Wiring approach is a whole other discussion as there is wattage decrease over distance.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:50 AM   #15
zackmak
Robot Master

I’ll be heading down this path with light strips, too. One thing I’m finding is the depth of your shelving plays a key role too, especially with the solid-coloured shelving. The deeper the shelves, the less light reaches to the figures in the back. You could stick the strips further back, but the light strips look too ‘in your face’ , in my opinion. Pushing all the figures up front may not always be an option, though I go by ‘less is best’ for presentation-wise.

And then different shadow positions based on where you put the lights will also occur. Not a big thing for most people, but it definitely gives off a different presentation.

Last edited by zackmak; 05-11-2020 at 10:55 AM.
zackmak is offline   Reply With Quote