Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-23-2008, 07:39 PM   #31
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus
Re: Most selfish collecting act...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade83 View Post
This isn't exactly Transformers-related, but I hid a special edition Love-a-Lot Care Bear that came with the DVD of the first Care Bears episode ever behind a bunch of fisher price baby toys at TRU, hoping it would still be there after pay day.

It was!

My boyfriend just hid an Animated Grimlock behind a bunch of bargain toys at Wal-Mart yesterday. *sigh* Maybe next week ...
They came with DVDs? Heh, I have a Love-A-Lot Bear and a Bedtime Bear, Grumpy Bear, Funshine Bear, Good Luck Bear and Braveheart Lion. What I really wanted was Cozyheart Penguin, Tenderheart Bear and the Care Bear Cousin Cat & Dog. I collected the new fluff versions I guess you'd call'em. I mean they aren't New Sculpt. LOL

Er anyway, I'm not sure if that counts as selfish. I think most people have considred hiding toys fair game. Personally I see no point to it, with all the mass production we get these days unless it's off the market not produced anymore and gathering dust on the shelf because no one picked it up yet it's pretty easy to find what you're looking for.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:01 PM   #32
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
So here I am walking out of the toy section with my arms full, I walk up to the cash and the kid in front of me turns around freaks out when he sees I'm carrying three. He then starts asking his dad "why does he have three and I can't have one daddy?"... kinda felt bad. Poor kid!!
Selfish? No. Also, I doubt that his dad would get him one anyway whether you were over there or not. I saw kids whining all the times when I was shopping so it doesn't matter if I walked out with 10 or none. Not to mention it will teach that kid a life lesson: you can't have everything in life no matter how much you want something sometimes

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately

Last edited by QuadESL63; 08-23-2008 at 08:04 PM.
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:35 PM   #33
pud333
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
So here I am walking out of the toy section with my arms full, I walk up to the cash and the kid in front of me turns around freaks out when he sees I'm carrying three. He then starts asking his dad "why does he have three and I can't have one daddy?"... kinda felt bad. Poor kid!!

Oh well.
I don't know, sometimes kids need to learn restraint since they may not understand the value of money. My parents were pretty good about that sort of thing. Though they usually let me have one small toy whenever we were in a department store, mostly because I never really asked for anything as a kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLIT LIP View Post
If the situation ever came up where me and a kid both wanted the same TF and there were no others, I would deffinatelty hand it over. I can always track one down some other time through a third party online store or something. I doubt the kid could.
Yeah, I still feel kind of bad not handing the toy over to him. If the situation were to come up again, I'd gladly hand it over for the same reasons you mentioned: online stores, etc. That's pretty much where I get all my stuff now since I can't be bothered to hunt anymore.

pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #34
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

I once grabbed a McFarlane Don Cherry figure that I saw some teengager hiding in the toy section. I felt kinda bad, but it was the only time I had ever seen that figure, and the crappier part is that I don't even own that figure anymore, I sold it a while ago. Oh well.

I can remember a few years ago when I used to collect Star Wars, Wal Mart had stickers over the newest figures bar codes, If you peeled them off you could get the figures for like 3.98 or something. I must have bought at least 10 figures using that scam.

When I was a teenager I used to stash figures all the time. But no one ever found mine. I hid them well.

Cheers!
-Ian
Cheers Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:37 AM   #35
Magnus
City Commander
Send a message via MSN to Magnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaprime View Post
you could have fibbed and said it was your birthday....

you could have fibbed and said you were also buying for a couple of friends...

you could have said you worked really hard all week to afford them...

you could have said you did all your homework and ate all your vegetables and listened to your mommy and daddy all the time

i guess I could go on but I won't
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post
Selfish? No. Also, I doubt that his dad would get him one anyway whether you were over there or not. I saw kids whining all the times when I was shopping so it doesn't matter if I walked out with 10 or none. Not to mention it will teach that kid a life lesson: you can't have everything in life no matter how much you want something sometimes
Quote:
Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
I don't know, sometimes kids need to learn restraint since they may not understand the value of money. My parents were pretty good about that sort of thing. Though they usually let me have one small toy whenever we were in a department store, mostly because I never really asked for anything as a kid.

Well, it's not like I felt it wasn't fair or anything like that. I mean, I can afford to buy them and they are a hobby of mine, so. But still, couldn't help but feel bad for the kid even though there was nothing I could do.

Thanks for the replies though.
Earthrise - Centurion Drone set, Thrust, Runabout
Kingdom - GS Galvatron, Road Rage
Masterpiece - MP-19+ Smokescreen, MP-20+ Wheeljack, MP-39+ Spinout
3P: MMC Commotus

"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy - okay, give me the bomb." - Ultra Magnus

My feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...ghlight=Magnus
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:49 AM   #36
Aernaroth
Metroplex

I dunno, I guess it would have to be when I sold my botcon set I knew to someone at a high markup. Granted, it was at the going rate, and it was complete and I had taken great care to keep it in meticulous condition (to the point of not even opening the boxed set except to make sure everything was there), and selling the set was what made me able to go in the first place, but I still felt pretty bad about it.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote