Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-25-2008, 06:44 AM   #1
cungitron
Help Needed

Hi All Ok. I'm going to be in Toronto in a couple of weeks for a short holiday with me ladyfriend. Would any of you kind Canadians be able to tell me where are good places to pick up TFs while i'm there. And what kind of prices to expect? Gonna be staying on Bond St so anything within walking distance or short travel time would be great. Thanks
cungitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
Retread
Machine War
Re: Help Needed

The Bay at Queen and Yonge is probably the closest place. They might be a bit slower getting new items, but the selection is fairly good.
Sears in the Eaton Centre (at Yonge and Dundas) is really close too. They haven't seemed to stock very much lately unfortunately.
Toys Toys Toys in the Eaton Centre (near Queen St food court) marks up the prices on their stuff. Used to be quite a lot, but they gotten a bit better recently. Wouldn't buy current figures there. They do have older cybertron, 10th anniversary Beast Wars and a few alternators if you're looking for those.

A few places that are a bit of a trip, but not too far.
Toys'R'Us at Yonge and Eglinton might be the farthest, but its straight up the Subway line. Should have all the curent stuff, depending on what's in stock.
Silver Snail is a comic book shop at Queen and Peter St that has a good sized transformers section. Price mark up on the current figures, but they do have some classics and a lot of Japanese imports if you're looking for those.
Last place is a trip across the Bloor subway to Dufferin mall. It has a Wal-Mart and Toys'R'Us. Wal-Marts get crazy busy depending on the time and the toy section can get depleted pretty quick. But the prices tend to be a bit lower (few pennies usually, few dollars sometimes.)

Keep an eye on the Ontario sightings thread as well, to see what's been spotted at which stores.
Retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
Barpharanges
Beast Machine

I have a detailed copy/paste here for Toronto area stores that carry Japanese model kits. Most stores like this will have imported Transformers as well. This is from a poster named Bigzam from Hobbyfanatics:

Let me break down a few things for those who are new to the GTA.

You can find models at the following areas:

Downtown
- Silver Snail - located on Queen street between Spadina and University- Ok selection of MG, HGUC model. Carry some Vinyl character models from the Aliens series and Star Trek. Finemolds Star Wars models. Has Revoltech figures, Transformers ranging from re-issues to MasterPiece, 1/6 figures from Hot Toys, Takara. Their main concentration however is comic books so if you like comics and want to grab a few japanese toys then this is the place to visit.

- Kikiwai - located in chinatown centre, on Spadina south of Dundas. Their main focus are anime related goods such as mangas, art books, stuffed animals, soundtracks, posters, some toys and models. They tend to carry harder to find models from the studio ghibli series, in fact I got Nausicaa on Mowe and the one where she rides the Kai.

- AnimeXtreme - located in chinatown area on Spadina a few blocks north of Dundas. They carry alot of MGs, HGs, PGs, GFFs, PVC figures, mangas, anime memorobilia, stuffed animals, posters. They got a very good price range on some of the models. Cheaper than PM and FMP stores depending on the season and type of models. I once saw them selling the MG Zeta version two close to $50, most places are around $100.

- Aura - located in Dundas Square on 2nd floor of the AMC theater. New hobbystore but I haven't had a chance to visit the store yet but I saw pics and it seems interesting. Will visit this weekend before I give more detailed info.

Scarborough (North East of Toronto)

- Gundam Base - Located in Pacific Mall(Steeles and Kennedy). One of the original hobby stores that is still operational since the opening of Pacific mall (two stores closed down). They tend to get new models the EARLIEST in GTA. Price is reasonable. I have been shopping there for a while so the boss knows me and can give me some discount. They carry a good selection of gunplas, GFFs, Revoltechs, car toys, some Soul of Chogoking robot toys, Saint Seiya Myth Cloth figures, Transformers MP and Altenators. They are located in the North east corner of Pacific Mall. One of the few stores that actually carry lacquer based paint Mr. Color!!! They have the acrylic and enamel selection of Tamiya paints as well.

- Forgot the name of the store - Also located in Pacific Mall. The owner used to be partner of Gundam Base I believe but they split and now he runs this shop on the Mid-East side of PM. He carries assorted stuff ranging from PVCs, Gunplas, Radio controlled models, traditional airplane and car models. Also has Mr. Color paints.

- One's - Located in Market Village, the sister mall on the east side of PM. This is a big super store that sells a lot of japanese related goodies ranging from pencil cases, stuffed animals, potteries, book binders and toys. They carry quite a selection of gunplas albeit a bit slower than the other store I've mentioned but they do tend to come a bit cheaper and you can find older stocks of gunplas. No revoltechs or transfomers. Has some Saint Seiya Myth Cloth figures and GFFs. They have a big selection of randomly packed candy toys.

Markham (North of Toronto aka the Silicon Valley area)

- Toy Square - Located in First Markham Place (Highway 7 and Woodbine). This store doesn't have that many gunplas but their strength lies on tons of amounts of TOYS. You want 1/6 figures? Got it!! You want SOC robot toys?? Got it!! Transformers?? Michael Lau Vinyl Toys?? PVCs statues?? Random Candy Toys?? Yup they have it all. They are practically the original 1/6 figures store in GTA. I don't remember how much money I forked out at this place since most of my 1/6 figures are purchased there. The owner will give you deals as well once you frequent there a lot like I have lol. Definitely a must check out place if you are done with your gunpla shopping.

- Fantasy Box - Also located at FMP. Not much gunplas but has some GFFs. This store is filled with PVC statues figures!!! I don't think anyone can top them with all those scandily clad female PVC figures in the GTA. If that is your cup of tea then by all means you will enjoy seeing the stuff. They carry some Saint Seiya Myth Cloth figures, Random Candy Toys, Anime memorobilia, stuffed animals, and lot's of dolls.

- Five Dragons - Located on Highway 7 in between Kennedy and McCowan. They carry a lot older toys and models that are out of stock and hard to find. They used to have a store at Pacific Mall but they had to close it down. I think they main reason they couldn't compete is because their stuff was a bit more pricey and didn't carry newer models like Gundambase. They have some older Garage Kits if that is your cup of tea.

I hope this list helps for some of you.

Happy hobby hunting!!

*End paste. If you have any questions or need directions, just post in this thread. I'm sure everyone will help.
Barpharanges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:09 AM   #4
cungitron

Wow. Thats brilliant guys, thanks. Thats quite a few places in a short distance. So you guys pay on average C$15 for a deluxe! Thats about €9.00. WOW! Over here deluxes are €16.99 (C$26) I could be doing some serious buying when i get to Toronto! Thanks again
cungitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:22 AM   #5
Barpharanges
Beast Machine

The Americans get deluxes for $10US (€6.76).

*Mutter Grumble*
Old 08-25-2008, 09:51 PM   #6
Solscud007
Beast Machine
American going to Toronto

Hey guys, I am heading up to toronto this weekend for Labor Day weekend. I will probably visit some of my friends while im there. But they arent TF fans.

I got some listings of anime places to go shopping
http://riwasa.com/shopping/canada/ontario/toronto.htm

Other than those places can anyone recommend any places that have good KO like the Prime and Mirage KO? or any vintage TF shops? Probably a shot int he dark but I gotta ask.

A friend recommended the Pacific Mall (the largest asian mall in North america)

Thanks
Solscud007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:51 PM   #7
soundwaveCA
Retired TF Fan
Re: American going to Toronto

Pacific Mall is overhyped as far as I'm concerned, not to mention very overpriced. Only selection they have really is some of the more recent Japanese releases such as Binaltech or Henkei but nothing much else.

Silver Snail has a decent selection of TF stuff but again usually overpriced and mostly new stuff. Other then that nothing really, those other shops dont carry TF stuff.

In terms of KO, vintage, and G1 stuff I'm pretty sure you wont find anything. Places like the Silver Snail might have a few reissues but again mostly new stuff from Encore.

Hate to be a bearer of bad news but it should save you on some needless running around

Last edited by soundwaveCA; 08-25-2008 at 10:55 PM.
soundwaveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
Barpharanges
Beast Machine

Look down the page for a thread titled "Help Needed". It might help.

EDIT. Blendtron has struck. The "Help Needed" thread suffered a transporter accident and has now painfully mutated into this thread. As you may have noticed...

Last edited by Barpharanges; 08-26-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:55 PM   #9
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

First Markham Place (near by Pacific mall) is good for Anime stuff and some Japanese TF imports. Also check out Kool Toyz link on the side they sell a bunch of TF stuff and are in Brampton (NW of Toronto) and you could probably do a local pickup.
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:16 PM   #10
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solscud007 View Post
I got some listings of anime places to go shopping
http://riwasa.com/shopping/canada/ontario/toronto.htm

A friend recommended the Pacific Mall (the largest asian mall in North america)
There is a basement anime/hobby store just across the street from the "Chinatown Centre" in that link on Spadina St. (sorry, not a Torontorian myself and I forgot the name). Mostly Gundam/Japanese models kits and other anime figures but they have very reasonable retail prices on Japanese model kits. I got my Revoltech Starscream over there in May for $27 or $29. Chinese foods there is just so-so for most restaurants.

While you are there you should go to Silver Snail on Queen Street just south of these two locations.

I won't say Pacific Mall is overrated but the stores inside are overpriced for sure.

There is also a mall called First Markham Place on Highway 7. There is a toy shop inside that has quite a few Japanese TF stuffs. For instance, I saw a Pepsi Prime and Prime Megablock set over there in May. Prices are, again, not the best I have seen but it is a bit better than the ones in Pacific Mall, I think. While there, you can try the food from some of the Chinese restaurants in the mall. They are good. I like Ding Tai Fung Shanghai Dim Sum (their steamed soup dumplings are good) and Congee Master.

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately

Last edited by QuadESL63; 08-25-2008 at 11:19 PM.
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote