Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
Joalro
Robot in Disguise
Non-G1 Masterpiece?

So to date, all masterpiece figures have been G1 (aside from those that are not original figures). However, there are some very popular characters who have yet to date had their proper treatment.

Mainly I feel as though Dinobot should have the Masterpiece treatment. Here's why:

1) At the last year of botcon, Dinobot was voted into the Transformers Hall of Fame. He was the ONLY character to date voted into the Hall of Fame (the other four being placed automatically). He is the only character from Beast Wars to be represented. On top of that, he beast many fan favourites like Soundwave, Grimlock (who has had his MP treatment), and Jazz.

2) Code of Hero is widely considered to be one of the best episodes of transformers. This isn't opinion, this is fact. It's a direct quote from Wikipedia. TFwiki states that it is the most acclaimed episode in Transformers history.

3) Most importantly, Dinobot has YET to have a figure that is worthy of his character! One with a beast mode that does not have arms or legs sticking out of his chest! One who is accurately painted! Dinobot is probably the greatest hero of the entire TF franchise, and yet has no toy to date that can be displayed with the pride that Dinobot's character had!

Considering his popularity from the BotCon poll, I think it's time to revisit this epic character.
Joalro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
Protoman
The Legend
Re: Non-G1 Masterpiece?

We have 2 "Movie" Masterpiece toys coming out in Japan which is our Leaderclass Bumblebee and Starscream.

The major point of Masterpiece is to do justice to a character in the most show accurate manner. TF series from Beast Wars Wave 3 and above have been pretty much spot on to show character models and thus the "need" is not as strong as say Starscream o Megatron (Not to mention profits)

Also, go out and buy Henkei Dinobot and get back to me.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

You make some very valid points.
I guess my concern is about Dinobot's popularity in Japan. I can see it selling in North America, but as we all know, Takara has much to do with the release of these figures and if Dinobot is a nobody there they I doubt he will be made.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
joshimus
Metroplex

Henkei Dinobot is pretty damn awsome so yeah, get him anyway. That said I would LOVE to see a redone BW Season 1 masterpiece line as Rhinox needs some serious justice too.
I wasn't a fan of Cheetor, Megatron or Primals "new" look for classics and WHY Hasbro Painted dinobot so stupidly is beyond me. That said, i'd love to see a more accurate scale like a basic or deluxe with cheetor a bit bigger and give Rhinox, Dinobot and Primal the larger sizes.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower
Smile Re: Non-G1 Masterpiece?

IMO only.

As much as I love Dinobot (I did shed a tear the first time Code of Hero aired), I would find it difficult to make him into an MP type figure.

I foresee....

A. a fat raptor to enable a decently proportional robot mode.

B. a cartoon accurate raptor with a way too skinny robot mode.

Just my opinion only...

I don't mind seeing a BW character as a MP figure, but we might have to wait till they reached their 20th or 25th anniversary. For now, it's G1 getting their "due" with modern incarnations of their vintage figures. Let's see what the other people have to say.

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #6
Joalro
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
We have 2 "Movie" Masterpiece toys coming out in Japan which is our Leaderclass Bumblebee and Starscream.

The major point of Masterpiece is to do justice to a character in the most show accurate manner. TF series from Beast Wars Wave 3 and above have been pretty much spot on to show character models and thus the "need" is not as strong as say Starscream o Megatron (Not to mention profits)

Also, go out and buy Henkei Dinobot and get back to me.
That's why I said "original" figures, since the movie masterpiece figures are not exclusive to the masterpiece series, but simply alternate colours to leader class figures.

Also, the dinobot toys, Henkei included, still have some very major issues. The henkei beast chest looks like a disaster with the coloured arms spewing out of it, and although the colouring is a huge improvement from the Hasbro release, it isn't nearly as spot on as the character deserves.
Joalro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
Vain
Spin Drive Smasher

Dinobot would definetly be a welcome addition although I can already see the difficulty of making one even more accurate then they are now. I can only imagine how hard it is to design his transformation.

If it's really a question of popularity in Japan, maybe Leo-convoy and Big convoy would be a more probable choice....oky okay,leo convoy, Big convoy would be massiveeeee.

I haven't picked up any MP but I'd pick up a Sunstreaker or a Sludge from G1 era,outside of that I'd like to see some intricate WFC design, Jazz maybe?

"They can't beat the Best"

Follow me on Instagram: @Dropdead_Charlie
Game with me on PsN: Dropdead_Charlie

-------------------------------------
Vain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
Predaking4Ever
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joalro View Post
So to date, all masterpiece figures have been G1 (aside from those that are not original figures). However, there are some very popular characters who have yet to date had their proper treatment.

Mainly I feel as though Dinobot should have the Masterpiece treatment. Here's why:

1) At the last year of botcon, Dinobot was voted into the Transformers Hall of Fame. He was the ONLY character to date voted into the Hall of Fame (the other four being placed automatically). He is the only character from Beast Wars to be represented. On top of that, he beast many fan favourites like Soundwave, Grimlock (who has had his MP treatment), and Jazz.

2) Code of Hero is widely considered to be one of the best episodes of transformers. This isn't opinion, this is fact. It's a direct quote from Wikipedia. TFwiki states that it is the most acclaimed episode in Transformers history.

3) Most importantly, Dinobot has YET to have a figure that is worthy of his character! One with a beast mode that does not have arms or legs sticking out of his chest! One who is accurately painted! Dinobot is probably the greatest hero of the entire TF franchise, and yet has no toy to date that can be displayed with the pride that Dinobot's character had!

Considering his popularity from the BotCon poll, I think it's time to revisit this epic character.
Let's please not waste good masterpieces on BW crap. Let's keep tot the G1 stuff and hope they ditch the movie garbage too.

We need a Masterpiece Jazz and Mirage and Hound, and Prowl, and, and, and.... well I could go on, but Dinobot is certainly no figure we need more of...
Predaking4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #9
damian_1349
Machine War

to each his own i guess....i would love to see some bw cause i remember it most and id love some more g1....id like to see the rest of the dinobots and maybe the insecticons
damian_1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #10
Cliffjumper69
primebein's rival
Cliffjumper69's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Cliffjumper69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predaking4Ever View Post
Let's please not waste good masterpieces on BW crap.
Really....... for reals!?