Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #261
BoNKerS
Animated
Re: Post your Transformers photos - 2017 edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenisOP View Post
This is a commissioned photo set for a good friend of mine, Bryan ([USER=107670]@KlownDie[/USER]). He wanted some photos of his custom Jetwing Optimus Prime, and I was curious to see what I could do with a large movie style figure like this. It actually proved to be a bit too large for my shooting space so I had to make some changes on the fly. The shots were also taken over a few days, as such I tried to keep everything consistent but slight changes in lighting may be apparent throughout the gallery.

Between the immense size of this piece, and the brilliant chrome finish this was a challenging piece to shoot and I hope I have done the figure justice with these photos. I definitely have a better idea of what some of you G1 guys have to deal with now when it comes to gratuitous chrome!
Great work on this man!! Shots turned out so good!

Shoutout to Madhaus as always feeding that need for plastic!

DSC09434 by Chris C, on Flickr

DSC09423 by Chris C, on Flickr

DSC09428 by Chris C, on Flickr
Old 04-11-2017, 08:25 PM   #262
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

1984 Masterpiece Decepticons complete, forgot Heavy Metal War was part of the first season, so I had to retake it, loved the shot without Devastator though, and had to post it too

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
Old 04-11-2017, 08:26 PM   #263
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

^^ Great shots as always
Old 04-12-2017, 11:01 AM   #264
Omegatron
Gen 1

So I have a question for you guys who take the near perfect jaw dropping photographs. I’ve gotten into photography and decided I like it as a fun way to interact with my collection. I have a lightbox, a DSLR camera, a tripod and some 5400k continuous lights. With this I can take quite nice photos that I’m quite happy with. Where I have trouble though is taking photos of dark colours against the black background or light colours against the white. Obviously I can take light or brightly coloured bots against the black background and dark ones against the light background. Also, I do have a grey background I can use but I don’t really like it.
So really my question is what to do with bots with colour pallets that include both white and black or other colours that just don’t work together with the backgrounds? I’ve noticed you folks taking shots of bots with black parts against a black background and this comes out with decent separation. I can’t do this, even at the editing stage, how do you do this? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:19 PM   #265
Blitzwing
Armada

Quote:
Originally Posted by brr-icy View Post
1984 Masterpiece Decepticons complete, forgot Heavy Metal War was part of the first season, so I had to retake it, loved the shot without Devastator though, and had to post it too

*Snip*
Great pics Brr-icy!

Here's TR Astrotrain. I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of the figure but couldn't say no to a $15 Voyager. Between TR, Classics and G1, I can now display a different Astrotrain figure in all 3 modes.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #266
RaidenisOP
Plastic Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegatron View Post
So I have a question for you guys who take the near perfect jaw dropping photographs. I’ve gotten into photography and decided I like it as a fun way to interact with my collection. I have a lightbox, a DSLR camera, a tripod and some 5400k continuous lights. With this I can take quite nice photos that I’m quite happy with. Where I have trouble though is taking photos of dark colours against the black background or light colours against the white. Obviously I can take light or brightly coloured bots against the black background and dark ones against the light background. Also, I do have a grey background I can use but I don’t really like it.
So really my question is what to do with bots with colour pallets that include both white and black or other colours that just don’t work together with the backgrounds? I’ve noticed you folks taking shots of bots with black parts against a black background and this comes out with decent separation. I can’t do this, even at the editing stage, how do you do this? Any help would be appreciated.
I don't have much experience with white on white, but when it comes to shooting black on black one of the most important things is rear lighting, or rim lighting. This will allow the lighting to create a defined edge on the figures black surface allowing it to appear separate from the back drop. You don't necessarily need the equipment shown in this article but it does show you some of the basics.

https://petapixel.com/2016/06/06/bas...ng-striplight/

Feedback Thread
Old 04-13-2017, 12:35 PM   #267
brr-icy
G1 Collector

i don't back light anything lol. But on white on white, you don't really light the figure itself, light the background and have the figure kind of silhouetted again

my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
Old 04-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #268
Sir Prime A Lot
Energon

Quote:

I saw these posted by TFSource on Instagram.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:55 PM   #269
Omegatron
Gen 1

Quote:
i don't back light anything lol. But on white on white, you don't really light the figure itself, light the background and have the figure kind of silhouetted again
O.K. then how do you do it? Skywarp in among your 1984 Decepticons is a excellent example of what I'm talking about. He has black wings and the background is black, yet the wings just pop. I can't do this and wonder what I'm doing wrong.

RaidenisOP thanks for the article. Its a bit outside my current comfort zone but I'm going to play around with the ideas it suggests and see what I can do with them.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:32 PM   #270
brr-icy
G1 Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Prime A Lot View Post
I saw these posted by TFSource on Instagram.
yeah, they pilfered them off my facebook site lol. not as clear as here, but still glad they posted them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegatron View Post
O.K. then how do you do it? Skywarp in among your 1984 Decepticons is a excellent example of what I'm talking about. He has black wings and the background is black, yet the wings just pop. I can't do this and wonder what I'm doing wrong.

RaidenisOP thanks for the article. Its a bit outside my current comfort zone but I'm going to play around with the ideas it suggests and see what I can do with them.
just adjusting fstop and shutter speed until they pop is all, gotta hit the sweet spot

my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
Closed Thread