Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2008, 02:03 PM   #11
cannabisprime
トーランスフォムー!
Re: TTC On Strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rage View Post
If only they made the TTC a publicly owned corporation like Hong Kong, they'd be able to make the budget larger and capital more accessible.
That would be a terrible move; Crown (aka publicly owned) corporations are notoriously inefficient in terms of managing money and resources. It's primarily for these reasons that the federal government privatized some crown corporations (Air Canada, Petro Canada).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrospex View Post
I'm supportive of the TTC workers. They deserve more. Working 24 hours, in the rain, heat, minus temperatures and snow to get you where you need to go. They are there to keep the city running. It's about time the city gives back. Anyone who rides the TTC should appreciate the advantage of it.

Let them strike. Support them. Our city should have the money (and they do) to pay them. (at least the same high wages that the Oakville and Mississauga transit workers get)

~Spe><
To put that in perspective, it's okay for the guy making $25+ an hour to go on strike on the basis that a 3% annual raise for the next three years (making them the highest paid transit workers in the entire province) is still not acceptable to them.. and in the process prevent the minimum wage earner (that's dependent on the transit) from going to work and making a living?

I (used to) work in a unionized environment (a local of Teamsters International at that) and even I can't agree with what they just did. The kicker is the argument that their union boss (Bob Kinnear) used for striking at midnight; "we were fearful for the safety of our members." And this sudden strike will help them how now again? And what's this about working 24 hours, working in the snow and rain? Only the maintenance personnel (a small part at that) work on the outside clearing the subway rails if need be. The bus drivers (as far as I know) work a 12 hour shift... with a four hour break in between..

Dick move on their part; it's about time something is done with this union. There has been a sense of entitlement with these bunch of workers that it just sickens me now; what do they want, perpetual raises for as long as they're employed? Give me a break. They already enjoy one of the best pension plans in the freaking country.

No, I'm not anti-union; in this age where temporary and transient workers are becoming more common, unions are just as badly needed. It's lousy errors in judgements like these that doesn't help the image of unions though.

Last edited by cannabisprime; 04-26-2008 at 02:42 PM.
cannabisprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:04 PM   #12
Retrospex
Plastiholics Anonymous

Here's a recent one:

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/296023

and past ones:
A TTC maintenance employee was killed and 2 others were injured in a tunnel fire near Lawrence station in 2005

A TTC ticket collector was killed during a robbery at Victoria Park station in 1995.

A TTC employee was killed in an industrial accident in 1982

$23 an hour.
Retrospex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:08 PM   #13
cannabisprime
トーランスフォムー!

Quote:
Here's a recent one:

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/296023

and past ones:
A TTC maintenance employee was killed and 2 others were injured in a tunnel fire near Lawrence station in 2005

A TTC ticket collector was killed during a robbery at Victoria Park station in 1995.

A TTC employee was killed in an industrial accident in 1982

$23 an hour.
You forgot the part that details the compensation that was received; please, you're making it sound like their job entails the probability of accidents happening in the workplace, that the city should be lining their pockets in return with gold. If that were the case, the police and fire services should be treated like royalty then...

You know that the issue (loss of time due to work related accidents) was another thing. The 85% (basically your take home pay) that WSIB will pay you in the event you lose time off work wasn't enough for them, so they wanted 100%? Give me a break...

Last edited by cannabisprime; 04-26-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:33 PM   #14
Retrospex
Plastiholics Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannabisprime View Post
That would be a terrible move; Crown (aka publicly owned) corporations are notoriously inefficient in terms of managing money and resources. It's primarily for these reasons that the federal government privatized some crown corporations (Air Canada, Petro Canada).

I agree that's why you see these Canadian corporations turning around and finally making a profit. But... it's time to give back.

To put that in perspective, it's okay for the guy making $25+ an hour to go on strike on the basis that a 3% annual raise for the next three years (making them the highest paid transit workers in the entire province) is still not acceptable to them.. and in the process prevent the minimum wage earner (that's dependent on the transit) from going to work and making a living?

I am 100% with them being the highest paid transit worker in the province. We have the busiest and most stressful city in the country. Yes, nobody likes strikes (especially transit strikes) but it's truly unfortunate that the corporate/union game involves and affects everyone. We all knew this was coming as it escalated.

I (used to) work in a unionized environment (a local of Teamsters International at that) and even I can't agree with what they just did. The kicker is the argument that their union boss (Greg Kinnear) used for striking at midnight; "we were fearful for the safety of our members." And this sudden strike will help them how now again? And what's this about working 24 hours, working in the snow and rain? Only the maintenance personnel (a small part at that) work on the outside clearing the subway rails if need be. The bus drivers (as far as I know) work a 12 hour shift... with a four hour break in between..

Nobody wants to drive a bus at 4:30 AM. I was referring to being on shift in whatever conditions they're in. Not (generally speaking) being outside. But driving on snow and rain is dangerous and they have to be aware as they are liable. Even for idiots on the road.

So... yes I hope they take a long break so they stay awake at the wheel.

Dick move on their part; it's about time something is done with this union. There has been a sense of entitlement with these bunch of workers that it just sickens me now; what do they want, perpetual raises for as long as they're employed? Give me a break. They already enjoy one of the best pension plans in the freaking country.

Yes, I agree that a walk off was unnecessary, and highly irresponsible. It should have been set up correctly, with more of a warning in the media. After shift they should have been picketing letting people know the times they were striking.

No, I'm not anti-union; in this age where temporary and transient workers are becoming more common, unions are just as badly needed. It's lousy errors in judgements like these that doesn't help the image of unions though.

It's clear many bad decisions were made, lousy negotiations and horrible errors led to this miserable strike and current situation. No, it doesn't help the image of unions but perhaps better treatment by the corporation and government can once again replenish the integrity the TTC once had.

I for one hope the strike ends and people's lives can go back to normal.
~Spe><
Old 04-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #15
-KG-
Kranix

Wow, you think they should have state funerals, too?
Workplace accidents happen in all walks of life. There will always be instances of violence in customer service positions. That does not justify leaving people stranded on the streets of Toronto at night. I've been attacked in the past at work, and I can tell you that I made no where near $23 an hour. On top of I didn't put anyone's safety in jeopordy because of it. Ridiculous.

-KG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:38 PM   #16
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

I thought one of the main issues was that they keep on comparing their wage and other benefits to the other public transit system in the GTA like Mississauga or the YRT. It's like a child that says "I want what Billy's having" all the time. I'm quite sure that the Mississauga Transit workers don't have as many or as good as the benefits the TTC workers have.

The overall service of the TTC has just continued to degrade (with disgustingly dirty subway stations), yet they still demand perpetual increases i wage and benefits. Although I know it's a stressful job, they should at least improve service to show some proof to the public that they deserve their damned good pay. It's like an employee who does a half-assed job who demands a raise.

I'm not totally against unions, its just that this one has gone out of whack, especially with the dick sudden move that Bob Kinear has made. They've recently employed and created a TTC Police force, and it doesn't seem to have done anything. my army buddy just wants to get in since it's an easy alternative than joining the Toronto Police force and it has equal, if not more in benefits and wages. The TTC seems to be handling money crappily.

As for the fear and safety for employees, yes, it is a dangerous job, but the salary compensates for it fairly enough, IMO, especially with the yearly wage increases most employees get. All employees get 1 graveyard shift that begins real early or ends real late at night once a week for their schedules, big whoop, it's whats expected for every employee, hence their pay.

Sorry, I'm just venting as a commuting student. Maybe just more money for a budget will solve everything.

Last edited by Dark Rage; 04-26-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:43 PM   #17
Retrospex
Plastiholics Anonymous

Quote:
You forgot the part that details the compensation that was received; please, you're making it sound like their job entails the probability of accidents happening in the workplace, that the city should be lining their pockets in return with gold. If that were the case, the police and fire services should be treated like royalty then...

I've seen instances personally where TTC drivers are verbally assualted or even violently threatened. Fact is, nobody should go through that. Or perhaps that was part of the job description? Compensation after an assault is just a sugar coat. And yes, Police and Fire Services do get royal treatment. Enough treatment so their integrity NEVER gets to the point of a strike. How can compare them to the TTC workers?

You know that the issue (loss of time due to work related accidents) was another thing. The 85% (basically your take home pay) that WSIB will pay you in the event you lose time off work wasn't enough for them, so they wanted 100%? Give me a break...
Who said they wanted 100% from WSIB? That's ridiculous.

~Spex
Old 04-26-2008, 02:48 PM   #18
cannabisprime
トーランスフォムー!

Quote:
Who said they wanted 100% from WSIB? That's ridiculous.

~Spex
The members did; they said that for instances where the employee (ie. bus driver) loses time off work due to events (such as getting assaulted by a passenger), that they should be receiving full pay while on leave.

And cry me a river on working a graveyard shift; they get a shift-premium for that anyways. Last I checked, the attendant at the local 24-hour Tim Horton's isn't given that luxury.

Last edited by cannabisprime; 04-26-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #19
-KG-
Kranix

Quote:
The members did; they said that for instances where the employee (ie. bus driver) loses time off work due to events (such as getting assaulted by a passenger), that they should be receiving full pay while on leave...
This is a fact that they want full pay while on leave.

-KG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #20
Retrospex
Plastiholics Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KG- View Post
Wow, you think they should have state funerals, too?
Workplace accidents happen in all walks of life. There will always be instances of violence in customer service positions. That does not justify leaving people stranded on the streets of Toronto at night. I've been attacked in the past at work, and I can tell you that I made no where near $23 an hour. On top of I didn't put anyone's safety in jeopordy because of it. Ridiculous.
State funerals? No. That is ridiculous. Accidents do happen, but the risk of accidents is higher for TTC workers as opposed to.... retail or office workers. I already agreed with you that leaving riders stranded was wrong.

Seems to me that I am the only one in support of negotiations for the TTC workers and a lot of angry people are coming out. Perhaps the stress of this strike is already taking it's toll?

~Spe><