Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
chroma23
douchebag
japanese packaging vs korean packaging?

hi guys, just something that came to mind and sorry if this has been discussed before

for somewhat older toys (90s and on), japanese toys also have korean variants (such as beast wars and brave series to be a bit off topic). i was wondering how the market perceive korean packaging. are they considered "inferior"? if so why? it seems to me that a toy in korean packaging will have a lesser value than in japanese packaging even for the same toy (big convoy comes to mind)
chroma23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
Metrotitan
Robot in Disguise
Re: japanese packaging vs korean packaging?

It's my understanding that Korean packaged TFs, such as the ones from CAR ROBOTS and BEAST WARS are worth less than the Japanese ones because they came out later than the original Japanese ones, almost putting them in the realm of reissues. That said, they are identical to the Japanese ones in most cases and are worth grabbing for a lesser price than the Japanese versions!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
Mumps
Canadian Slag

IMO the Korean boxes tend to be of a bit lesser quality, though the toy inside is perfect. I own two Korean toys, Big Convoy and Car Robots JRX.

I see no reason not to buy Korean, unless you have the money and are keeping it MISB.
Mumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
Ground Zero
Generation 2

I have at least one Korean figure -- Big Convoy. I had no issue with the box, but as Metrotitan mentioned, one of the reasons I *have* it was because it came out well after the original Big Convoy was released so I was able to get it for cheaper. I think I may have another Korean figure too, but I can't recall.

I thought the box was fine -- at par with my Japanese figure boxes -- and the figure inside was awesome. Great figure for less cost.
Ground Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
Mumps
Canadian Slag

Yeah, I think I was able to get Big Convoy for around $30US, and that was within the last year sometime.
Mumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
TFtoys
Animated

so the Korean packaging and the actual toys are still better than the north america one ?

I also wonder how the Korean Brave model turn out? Like most of the Japanese Kabaya 80's model kit are very expensive to get but how is the Korean one?
TFtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:04 AM   #7
chroma23
douchebag

thanks for your replies

i was told by someone that packaging in korean versions are more flimsy and plastic quality on the toy may not be so great. but that said, if the price is right i guess its okay

with that in mind, what do you guy think would be a fair price for a MISB korean big convoy?
chroma23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:15 AM   #8
TinTip
Generation 1

well you can find one on BBTS for $35 right now, thats where i got mine and i love it, though i found the packaging massivly oversized for the toy inside, that said the quality of the toy itself is awesome.
TinTip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:56 AM   #9
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

I always thought the Korean versions had a cheaper plastic used, since they were actually made by another Korean company (At least I believe the Car Robots were). I would never buy a Korean Brave Max though, too risky.

I suppose after years of buying Takara stuff, you're too used to the aesthetics of seeing "Transformers" in Japanese. I've only gotten Japanese versions so it would be more consistent with the rest of my other either Car Robots/Beast Wars figures' packaging.

Nothing wrong with Korean packaging, it's just not as pretty or familiar to us I guess...love the Korean food/girls though...lol
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:36 AM   #10
Hobbyist Prime
King of the Scratchbuild
Hobbyist Prime's Ebay Auctions

This is just me personally but I think the Japanese packaging just looks better over all and I am willing to pay a little more for it.
Hobbyist Prime is offline   Reply With Quote