Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-03-2024, 06:36 PM   #1
Soundwaves
Robot Master
Most Regrettable Purchase?

Was just doing some work in my basement and had to reorganize a bunch of my storage.

Was going through some of the bins of old stuff and found a classics Ironhide/Ratchet that still had the Ebay invoice where I paid 190.00 for it.

I was new to collecting, trying to complete the line and impatient.

This still stands out as the worst TF related purchase I have ever made from an overpaying for no good reason standpoint....

Anyone else bit the bullet on something they later regretted as the market value changed?
Soundwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 07:25 PM   #2
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..
Re: Most Regrettable Purchase?

That G1-style Jetfire called "God of Flame". Paid full price+shipping for the thing...very disappointing. I don't hate it, but I really hate how much I paid for it.
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 07:28 PM   #3
optimusb39
Animated

I've been pretty lucky. If it's something I really really wanted I waited for reviews first before spending obhorent amounts on it. If it checks out I'll usually go with it. Otherwise I can wait patiently for years and then snag it at a fraction of the price from another collector.
Picked up tw devastator 2 years ago after watching out for it for ages, seeing it sell for 600- 700 even 800 bucks. I found it on kijiji for 250. Complete with boxes and upgrades. Same with zeta bruticus, 200 flat
Recently found fantoys Thomas 100 bucks. Not the ko. And fanstoys power glide 150.
My advice, unless it's something you absolutely must have at any price right away, is to just sit back and wait. It'll show back up to fill the gap eventually and save a great deal of hard earned money.
optimusb39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 10:34 PM   #4
lifedragon99
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusb39 View Post
My advice, unless it's something you absolutely must have at any price right away, is to just sit back and wait. It'll show back up to fill the gap eventually and save a great deal of hard earned money.

Easy to say, much harder to do I find in practice.

But something I am going to try this year. Things are too expensive out there right now.

As for the topic. Nothing springs to mind, though if I take a look at my collection I am sure there are a few stinkers I would have rather not picked up.
Old 01-03-2024, 11:32 PM   #5
Tiffster
Classic

Netflix Elita 1. At first I passed, then decided I wanted her. Paid a premium off Amazon USA. When I got her, she broke on the first transformation. Worst purchase ever for me. Otherwise, its been alright.
Tiffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 11:42 PM   #6
NightshadeX
Robot Master
NightshadeX's Ebay Auctions

I regret the wfc siege cybertronian modrs. If I knew earthrise was coming the next year I would’ve skipped them because I’m trying not to have duplicates of characters anymore.

Bigger purchases are probably some of the toy deco masterpiece +. They were more expensive since they were TT shop exclusives so there was a markup to get them here. I since found them duplicative and taking up space so I sold them. I don’t even know if I broke even.

I am still on the fence as to whether the TF collabs are purchases I regret or not. I actually like they are all new characters and not just old ones repurposed into the BTTF Delorean or things like that. But they are overpriced. I try to get them on sale but not always lucky.
NightshadeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 12:06 AM   #7
BeeTrain
Beasty

God of Flame is the top of the list for me. I got 2 of them since it's a limited run of 2688 units and I thought it would sell out instantly. NOPE! My second one is on eBay for less than I paid for it from BBTS.

Beast Machines Nightscream is on that list, too. He's ridiculously big and does not fit with the rest of the line. I've been looking at his ugly mug on my shelf for 20 years and I still hate him. At least he's at the back behind my Dragon Megs so he's mostly hidden :-D
BeeTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 12:36 AM   #8
Dynamo.Dave
Too close for missiles

Early on in the 3P scene, I was excited about everything coming out.
TFC Hercules had just come out and was getting good reviews (for the time). I went with Maketoys Giant, but when TFC announced a Superion, I was fully on board.

Yikes.

The alt modes aren't terrible for a couple of them, but overall they're really bad, floppy combined, and not a great visual style. To boot, my favourite (Air Raid) had some paint splash, and kind of warped rear tailfins.

Not too sure if I actually regret buying them, but they're awful.

Sparktoys Grimlock
FT Stunticons
FT Aerialbots

Dynamo.Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 01:13 AM   #9
Skorpulator
Armada

The Primo Vitalis upgrade kit for CW Prime.
Skorpulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 09:26 AM   #10
MahtimusPrime09
Shut up, Rattrap
MahtimusPrime09's Ebay Auctions

Combiner Wars Firefly

Not that I actually regret him. He’s a nice figure and obviously an essential part of Superion. It’s mainly that I was in Europe in 2015 and my impulsive, excited self got him for 30 Euros at the time.

Simply not worth that amount especially since I could’ve just waited and got him for much less when I got back, but I was excited in the moment.

Like a few of the other posts, other than that, it’s been pretty good. I haven’t over indulged in things that I was on the fence about. I usually watch a few videos about what may interest me and go from there. Otherwise, I usually get that which I genuinely want, always willing to wait for that deal to come around.

My Sales Thread
My Want List
My Collection
My Feedback Page

Last edited by MahtimusPrime09; 01-04-2024 at 09:30 AM.
MahtimusPrime09 is offline   Reply With Quote