Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2015, 10:56 PM   #1
Sir Prime A Lot
Energon
Wal-Mart's Price Matching Is A Scam

I found Hot Spot at Wal-Mart yesterday so I brought it to the register to have it price matched, I even brought up the Toys 'R Us flyer on my phone. I was told they couldn't price match it because it was a discounted percentage and not a dollar value.

I then spoke with another manager since I wasn't satisfied with that answer and apparently they can't do basic math to get the sale price, they need it to be written there for them. The original price is listed on the website, the discounted percentage is listed, I don't understand the complication in multiplying 2 numbers together.

On top of that, the manager told me that they couldn't even match it if any percentage discount was listed anywhere in the advertisement. For example, if the flyer read, "On sale for $10" they could match it. However if the flyer read, "On sale for $10, 30% off" then they couldn't discount it, even though it's stating the sale price right there. It all hinges on whether or not there is a percentage listed anywhere in the advertisement.

Is this right? Is anyone else price matching this week? Can you post photos of your receipts so I can email them to Wal-Mart's customer service? Thanks a lot.
Sir Prime A Lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:44 AM   #2
Jeepmanhastj
Beasty
Re: Wal-Mart's Price Matching Is A Scam

A friend of mine that works at Walmart told me the same thing. They don't do % off price matching. It has to be a Sale Price.

So in my recent case, I got CW devy off their website at their full price but was able to price match it to the TRU sale price because on toysrus.ca is shows a sale price, even though its a 30% off sale.
the CSR I talked to went online looked up the sale price and said yup, sale price is good and matched it and refunded the difference to my credit card.

My friend was surprised that it worked, he really believed it wasnt going to.

So essentially they just want to see a listed sale price in a flyer or online and they match it.
Their MRSP (regular price) is usually different and I think thats why they can't do % off to match prices.
Jeepmanhastj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:02 AM   #3
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

They did the same thing to me at Target. But took it a step further. The sale was for all Voyageurs or something in a TRU flyer, but because the specific figure I wanted was not pictured in the flyer with a price beside it, no dice. The problem here is also the TRU website keeps pulling their listings. So not even a smart phone can help you.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:59 AM   #4
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

Even the same figure online with a sale price isn't always enough, as they want to see dates (like Aug 21-28, etc) to ensure the competitors sale is on now. This part breaks my brain a little, because if I'm showing you their website: that's the competitions price right now. If you think I've kept the browser window open for weeks on an old sale price, get me to refresh the page.

Only workaround I've found is to take the flyer and your phone: show them the webpage price on your phone first ("they have it for $132.97 right now") and then show them the flyer ("and here are the dates for the sale").
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:45 AM   #5
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

Another imposed restriction I've encountered is them telling me the item has to show (on theor webpage) as being in stock. They want to know if you can purchase the item right now. This happened to me once.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:10 PM   #6
garu
Generation 2

This does not only apply to wm, but to the other retailers as well. Like the other posters above said, it need the actual sale price, the beginning and ending date of the sale and its actually in stock. U can pm with a percentage because the listing price from wm and tru are different, if they use percentage, they re reducing from their actual price and not the competitors' listed price. In many cases the product description and picture must be identical for them to pm. Sumtimes, if it is not listed as it is, they may not pm it.
garu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:45 PM   #7
Rodimus Prime1
Ride in Style

Not really a scam, as it is all stated in the policy ( click the link and read). I understand your pain though, but don't blaim someone if the are following their rules

http://corporate.walmart.com/policie...e-match-policy.

Most of the situations above I have encountered too myself, but I keep trying, sometimes I get lucky and sneak one thru.

Wants: >

Feedback

Collection
Rodimus Prime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:19 PM   #8
Sir Prime A Lot
Energon

That doesn't make sense. If the listing states this:

regular price: $20
Sale: 50% off
sale price: $10

They should be able to price match this, they should match the $10 but they won't. However if it states this:

regular price: $20
sale price: $10

For some reason they will price match it. It doesn't make any sense. The point of price matching is to get me to shop at your store and not have to hunt around for deals or sales at other stores, thus losing you money. If I can get the item somewhere else at $10 and you're not going to sell it to me at $10 then your whole philosophy and reasoning of price matching breaks down to nothing. It's completely pointless.
Sir Prime A Lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:46 PM   #9
Jeem
Energon

I've brought TRU flyer in on a cell phone and they said they need the physical flyer and I've brought the flyer in with the %off sale and they have said they would prefer an online print out...

It's whatever suits their needs.

Woot woot! My own Feedback thread!: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=24846

My For Sale thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=51577
Jeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:16 PM   #10
Xtreme987
Metroplex

I've had good luck price-matching at my local Walmarts. Usually I go right to the customer service desk with my tablet with the TRU website pre-loaded on it to the correct page. That way your not holding up a long line of regular customers. I usually use the Mcdonald's WI-FI so if they really want to see dates they can.
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote