Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 12-30-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
innermanchild
Robot in Disguise
Angry MP-09 Rodimus Hasbro version

I started collecting Transformers about six months ago. It was my intention to stay in the masterpiece segment, but that didn't work out

I picked up MP-09 in Toronto during FanExpo and the right arm snapped off the first time I tried to transform him, so I hadn't touched him since. I was tired of seeing him on my shelf lying there with the arm off to the side...it was very post-crash landing on the planet Junkion. Anyway, I decided that I was going to glue it back on and make it more of a static statue, since it was my only option left. As I was moving the figure around, one of the side panels on the leg snapped off as well!!!

Did I just get a really bad figure or is this the worse MP figure out there? Just wondering what experience other people have had with it.

Last edited by innermanchild; 12-30-2014 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Correction
innermanchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
carissa
Energon
Re: MP-09 Rodimus Convoy Hasbro version

It's a known issue with Hasbro MP-09. Takara MP-09 generally snaps off at the knee.

From the TFWiki, this quote refers to the Takara mold:

Quote:
Unfortunately, Masterpiece Rodimus has suffered from numerous quality control issues, which vary from figure to figure. Commonly reported problems include fragile leg panels which break off with ease, the inability of the figure to hold its guns due to shallow peg-holes which conflict with the bending angle of his hands, the springs within the figure's ankles becoming unwound, and the spoiler/backpack assembly refusing to clip into place. Mostly infamously, the slot on the trailer into which the spoiler slips is extremely narrow as a consequence of its interior being painted; as a result, paint is invariably scraped off the inside and leaves disfiguring marks on the spoiler when the figure is transformed to Rodimus Prime vehicle mode. A second production run, done shortly after Hasbro's release of the figure in a different deco (see below), amended these issues and also featured some slight changes in paint colors, although the forked chest tab not quite locking properly still seems to be an issue. Some of the second production run retain the original elbows from the first production run while the others feature the retooled elbows from the Hasbro version. The second release also features the retooled crotch plate from the Hasbro release.
Regarding the Hasbro version:
Quote:
The Hasbro version of Rodimus featured retooled elbow joints that, when separated, make it difficult for him to hold a pose with his arms. The crotch plate was retooled on its underside to help prevent it from hitting the ground while in car mode.
Hasbro's Rodimus, sadly, will eventually tear itself apart due to overly powerful springs putting constant pressure on peculiarly weak plastic. The arms have a disheartening tendency to spontaneously break at either pinned section of the shoulder joint, while the upper ratchet in the knee has a high likelihood of shattering, either rendering him only durable enough to transform a few scant times. Just pose him once and back away slowly...
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Hot_Rod_(G1)/toys#Masterpiece

As good as he look I am simply avoiding MP-09 in the hopes he will eventually be remade. And with any luck the new mold will have no issues.

Last edited by carissa; 12-30-2014 at 08:47 PM.
carissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
ironhide_warmachine
Generation 2
ironhide_warmachine's Ebay Auctions
Re: MP-09 Rodimus Hasbro version

Sorry to hear that the arm on your Rodimus snapped off and also the leg panels. I think the general consensus on this figure is that it is the second worst MP, beaten only by MP Megatron. I don't classify my MPs from best to worst like most do. I haven't had the best experience with MP Rodimus myself(same arm snapping off issue) but was able to get it replaced from TRU when it came out. I like complexity and ingenuity when it comes to MPs and MP Rodimus and Megatron alike fulfill that criteria. I like MP Rodimus but will have to agree that the quality has been slightly disappointing.
ironhide_warmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:10 PM   #4
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2

My leg on my Rodimus snapped after the second transformation. Went back to TRU the next day and exchanged it. Think I transformed the new one once and he has since stood there holding the matrix above his head.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

I've been lucky with mine so far. He's been transformed a few times, but he is likely to now stay in 'bot form permanently just in case.
razin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:25 PM   #6
omegaprime
Energon

There is a replacement shoulder parts for np rodimus.. also a diecast knee too.
omegaprime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken arm, hot rod, masterpiece, mp-09, rodimus prime