Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
Witterquick
Unabashed Cosmos Fanboy
I have a question about Fan Expo for all you Torontonians...

My plans for SDCC fell through, what with them selling out extremely fast and all, so i'm looking at Fan Expo instead to replace the gaping hole in my heart. I checked out the website, and there was no information that I saw about pre registering. Is it even necessary? For the convention itself I mean, I know for hotels it's a good idea. Any info is appreciated.
Witterquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian
Re: I have a question about Fan Expo for all you Torontonians...

Depends on what you really want to do.

FanExpo in the past few years has grown into quite a beast.

I suggest if you don't like waiting in huge lines, to pre-register/pre-purchase a VIP package. This will allow you to bypass many long lines.

The sad thing was last year, those who had just simply pre-purchased tickets (not "VIP" tickets) had to wait in a line that was moving slower than the people who were purchasing tickets at the door, it was a pretty stupid system if you ask me, what's the point of pre-purchasing tickets if you have to wait in a long line, actually get the tickets and then enter the event.

After last year, I came to the realization that the "VIP" package is the best way to go if you don't want to wait in lines.

However, I didn't have tickets last year and it took me and my friend almost an hour to get tickets and get inside, which wasn't bad considering the mass of people that showed up.

If you do decide to go, I can give you some more tips for survival at the convention. It was a bit of a zoo last year.

Last edited by Cheers Ian; 02-05-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Cheers Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
Dragon Knight
Geass'd

Haven gone to both, I can say that FE is definitely Toronto's SDCC.

If you go early, you probably won't have a problem getting inside quick. Oh and avoid buying food from their, it's ridiculously expensive.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
Aernaroth
Metroplex

Probably not NECESSARY to pre-reg, but hey, it'll save you some time in line (and you REALLY want to minimize that at fanexpo) and gives you one less thing to do in prep close to the show. Might as well do it if you can afford it.

I wouldnt necessarily get a hotel downtown, you might be able to find cheaper accomodations and then just take the subway down.

Other than that, standard giant-ass convention rules and advice apply. If you do SDCC you should be well acquainted with what you'll need to do. If you have a really crappy cellphone though, keep in mind you may not get reception in the convention hall, which is significantly underground.

Last edited by Aernaroth; 02-05-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
Zodberg
Machine War
Send a message via AIM to Zodberg

Last year's fanexpo had many things in common with Fanexpo but was still a good distance from what Fanexpo is supposed to be. But at least Hasbro was there last year.
Zodberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
Witterquick
Unabashed Cosmos Fanboy

Thanks for all the replies so far. We're probably going to go with the VIP tickets, when they go on sale. Does anyone know approximately how much they are? And can anyone recommend a good hotel? I did some searching online for flights and hotels, but I don't know Toronto very well at all. I was there once 13 years ago and stayed with a friend. Thanks again!
Old 02-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #7
Dragon Knight
Geass'd

Since FanExpo is four days this year, I imagine they're gonna be charging people quite a bit for four day passes.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
Witterquick
Unabashed Cosmos Fanboy

Yeah that's what I figured, i'm just not sure what "quite a bit" is. Also, the Fan Expo website says the tickets are available to buy on site at the Metro Convention centre box office. Does this mean I can't purchase them online? Because that would really suck.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
Dragon Knight
Geass'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterquick View Post
Yeah that's what I figured, i'm just not sure what "quite a bit" is. Also, the Fan Expo website says the tickets are available to buy on site at the Metro Convention centre box office. Does this mean I can't purchase them online? Because that would really suck.
I bought my tickets online last year. All you need to do is print off the receipt and bring it to registration. There should be two line ups depending on what kind of package you bought.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #10
Aernaroth
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterquick View Post
Thanks for all the replies so far. We're probably going to go with the VIP tickets, when they go on sale. Does anyone know approximately how much they are? And can anyone recommend a good hotel? I did some searching online for flights and hotels, but I don't know Toronto very well at all. I was there once 13 years ago and stayed with a friend. Thanks again!
It really depends on how far from downtown you're willing to stay, and whether or not you're getting a car. The Delta Chelsea might be worth looking into.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote