Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-19-2008, 12:49 PM   #11
Batman
The Dark Knight
Re: 25th Aniv. Optimus Prime Reissue.

I'll import this one. Really all I want is the talking Cullen box.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:56 PM   #12
devilsknight
Banned

LOL if i knew it was gonna be $69.99 I would have bought the one on eBay that Pascal posted up

http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-25t...d=p3911.c0.m14

It ended up selling for $49.00US...seesh

I think i'm gonna pass on that Optimus...at $70 it's a bend over and take it rip off.
devilsknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:33 PM   #13
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Depends on how many Walmart, etc. have ordered... it might even be on clearance post-Christmas

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:40 PM   #14
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by venksta View Post
By the way, are you talking about the iPod Prime released by Takara? I thought the head on that version was just a scaled down copy of from MP Prime.
Yes, the one released by TakaraTomy with the iPod speakers/dock trailer. It has the new G1 anime look-a-like head mold in its original colors (I can't remember if the white one also has the head mold or not). To each of his/her own I guess. I have seen too many G1 Primes over the years and I still have a US G1 Prime from the 80's and a MIB Japanese New Year Prime. This will be a 'pass' for me. I guess for someone who hasn't own one (yet) the "US Edition" w/ the DVD is pretty tempting.

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:33 PM   #15
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

I though about picking this one up to continue my never-ending quest to replace every toy I foolishly donated away.

But the short smokestacks are like a slap in the face to me. What idiot child would impale themselves on longer smokestacks?

If they are so concerned with safety then they should have rubberized the whole toy because Optimus is more dangerous (than 3 inch chromed protrusions) when thrown.

Pass.

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #16
SPLIT LIP
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwankenobi View Post
But the short smokestacks are like a slap in the face to me. What idiot child would impale themselves on longer smokestacks?
It's not that at all. If the smokestacks break off and a child too young eats it... well, that's a dead baby right there.

I hate when people say it's a slap in the face. C'mon. Because hasbro really thought: "we'll release an Optimus reissue, but because we hate jjwankenobi, we'll give it SHORT SMOKESTACKS! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Puh-lease.
SPLIT LIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:52 PM   #17
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLIT LIP View Post
It's not that at all. If the smokestacks break off and a child too young eats it... well, that's a dead baby right there.
Most Transformers come with a variety of small accessories like guns and missiles that could be just as easily swallowed. There has to be another explanation.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:24 PM   #18
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:

I hate when people say it's a slap in the face. C'mon. Because hasbro really thought: "we'll release an Optimus reissue, but because we hate jjwankenobi, we'll give it SHORT SMOKESTACKS! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Puh-lease.
As a father of a 22 month old boy I know all about choking hazards, but I agree with Pascal that there's got to be something else.

The premium packaging, comic, DVD, high price point and the 20 year old toy only means one thing: This release is meant for older collectors like myself who can wax poetic on all three versions (four, counting the animated movie) of The Transformers theme song, just like MP Prime (who subsequently suffered from the same smokestack circumcision) was meant for us fanboys/girls who could afford and appreciate him.

So when I say this sort of thing is a slap in the face to me I'm saying Hasbro is blatantly trying to have their cake and eat it too by marketing this as a collectible, but tweaking it in case some poor sucker buys their child an overpriced toy that will be forgotten soon after the tinsel and stockings are taken down.

C'mon Hasbro, you've got bumper battlers and the Animated line to appease the little ones. You should have left Optimus the way he was in '84.

Last edited by jjwankenobi; 10-20-2008 at 01:42 PM.
jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:17 PM   #19
-KG-
Kranix

Quote:
There is no way that the short smokestacks is an issue of breaking off and then being swallowed. As far as I know he still comes with 2 small fists, the hose, 6 small wheels for roller, 3 small missiles, etc. All this would get swallowed long before a smokestack breaks, and then get swallowed. I'm fairly certain it's a "it's too pointy" issue... which I still don't understand. Maybe we should ask Hasbro about it in the Q & A thread?

-KG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:40 PM   #20
Pascal
Banned

Can't be too pointy either, just looking on my desk, the handlebars for my Cybertron Hightail are just as pointy. Or Movie Voyager Prime's missiles/smokestacks.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote