Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-04-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
elburrito
Animated
Will I have to pay duty?

There is so much confusion surrounding "duty" charges that I thought it might be helpful to start a thread to collect information concerning the topic.

The CBSA webpage is a good place to start:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/po...roits-eng.html

and here is the tariff that applies to toys:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-com.../ch95-eng.html

You will note that some toys require duty at 8% and some toys are duty free. Trying to figure out which is which is a challenge, but I suspect that the secret to whether duty is charged or not, is the categorization of whatever you shipped by the CBSA somewhere into this tarrif.

To be sure, this is not the answer, but the answer is in here somewhere.

Toys appear to fall under Chapter 95 of the blah blah blah Act and, as such, should not attract any duty. Depending on how they are labelled though, may change how they are categorized by the CBSA. For instance, identifying and item as "gift" on the packaging will result in a $60 personal exemption and 8% on everything above that.

Another key point, is that your package will contain a statement indicating how the toy was categorized and what duty charges were levied. This is a good way to tell if those extra charges at the door are in fact "duty" or whether they are handling fees imposed by Canada Post or the delivery agent (looking at you USPS).

Sale & Trade

Last edited by elburrito; 04-04-2016 at 02:57 PM.
elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:18 PM   #2
CanBot
Cybertron
Re: Will I have to pay duty?

Here's my two cents on the topic, and I've been buying enough stuff over the years to comment:

It boils down to luck.

But even then, you're only really ever paying taxes (GST) on imports. I have yet to pay any kind of tariff on an imported item, and we're talking musical instruments in some cases over 2k. It's just the GST I've had to pay, and never more than $125 CDN.

There was one time I got really zinged on a figure from ebay. The purchase was $50 and I got charged $30 taxes. That was the absolute last time I shipped with UPS. But again, that was only once.

I read all the stuff above, going back to about ten years ago. In the end, it's all luck. But sometimes you think you dodged the fees, but then FedEX mails you the fees afterward In that case, it was a brokerage fee.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:55 PM   #3
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

UPS (I call you piece of shit), FedEx, and DHL are guaranteed duty/taxes/fees. In fact DHL will require you to pay online before they will clear your package and deliver.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:02 AM   #4
elburrito
Animated

Yes, UPS, not USPS. D@#% them! NEVER AGAIN!

Sale & Trade

Old 04-05-2016, 12:22 AM   #5
CanBot
Cybertron

USPS is the best, IMO. Best because you get tracking and insurance AND brokerage (which is bullshit anyway) and it almost always costs less. I think there's a weight limit for USPS, though, in some cases.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:05 AM   #6
mrluthor
Robot in Disguise

It's all luck and where you order from and what time of the year according to post office worker I deal with. Items from the USA are an easy yes your going to pay if the item is over $60.00 and comes from a store like Bigbadtoystore or TFSource. The Christmas time rush is when they will most likely hit you up for duty the most. International mail from China and parts of Europe are less likely to get hit with custom charges. Avoid UPS, FedEx, DHL, Purolator and Ebays Global shipping at all times. Those companies charge brokerage fees and some charge double shipping. Pay for shipping in USA and pay for shipping in Canada plus brokerage fee. I had this happen to me twice with UPS. When I get items shipped from the USA I use USPS only and try to keep orders small. With using USPS/Canada Post you don't get the tags on the door like UPS and FedEx. Your package just goes to the post office for pick up if no ones home. No calling 1800 numbers or checking websites to have item put for pickup location. I prefer ordering from HK, Japan and China just to save on not getting hit by customs. If you are worried about duty charges just order from a Canadian store instead and avoid the trouble of paying duty.
mrluthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:02 AM   #7
Bluestreak2010
Generation 1

I've ordered from HLJ and I've had to pay duty for every figure. I'm not sure if it's because I used the EMS shipping method. On hot rod and ironhide I paid $32 to ship to Durham.
Bluestreak2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:09 AM   #8
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak2010 View Post
I've ordered from HLJ and I've had to pay duty for every figure. I'm not sure if it's because I used the EMS shipping method. On hot rod and ironhide I paid $32 to ship to Durham.
if you shipped them together then I would say that would have been the case as HLJ declares the full value of the figures for insurance purposes and check your receipt you most likely paid for taxes and a handling fee from customs
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:12 AM   #9
Bluestreak2010
Generation 1

Good point. On Tracks I shipped alone and was only tagged $11. Lessons learned I guess.
Bluestreak2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:10 AM   #10
elburrito
Animated

Found it!

Scroll down and look at the tariffs for Ch.95 & 97.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-com...mod-2-eng.html

TFs should not invite duty, but mis-classification could affect that. Asking a retailer to mark your shipments,

"Ch.95 - SS 55 - Other"

is true, and is one classification that would avoiud duty.

Sale & Trade