Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 05-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions
In the defense of RotF Skidz and Mudflap

I've finally got around to seeing the movie, and I must say that I can understand a bit about the whole flak against Skidz and Mudflap. They just don't feel all that much in place in the movie.

And here's my reasoning why: they actually don't.

No, before everyone points at the title of the thread and calls me a liar, let me share my reasoning as an actual defense of the characters themselves.

Firstly: there are very few Autobots in the first and second film. It seems they are vastly outnumbered. That's because they are. Since the Autobots need all the help they can get, they're going to lower their enlistment restrictions and take anyone that applies. Which brings me to my next point...

Secondly: Skidz and mudflap simply aren't ready for battle. They act immature because they are. You could call them mere children. I'd expect that 13-year-olds would act similarly. Think about it, how many early teens would spout the wisdom about blending in with their surroundings like a ninja when trying to conceal themselves? I'd say most, if not all of them.

Thirdly: what exactly would Optimus Prime have them do instead? Having them work towards clearing out the ever growing Decepticon forces keeps them close at hand so they don't get into trouble. How much hijinks would the two get into if they weren't kept on a short leash? Hell, it looks like the immature Cheetor in Beast Wars had more self control and direction.

Fourthly: in fact, they do fit in the movie by not fitting in. It may or may not have been intentional, but they prove how desperate things are for the Autobots. They also show that not every Cybertronian is a battle-ready veteran of their war.

They add depth to the movie as well as relate-able characters for the target audience. By far I would consider them better used and better presented than most other Jar-Jar Binks wacky comic relief characters.

So what does everyone else say?
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
alexsaurus_rex
Don't Panic!
Re: In the defense of RotF Skidz and Mudflap

Very sound argument and I tend to agree.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
Vain
Spin Drive Smasher

I never hated the twins, In fact I enjoyed them quite a bit and own both their figures which everyone seems to hate on.

It's an interesting take and I'm on the boat with ya. They interact in a very uncommon way when it comes to autobots. They're unconventional, all twins up to now seem to be in sync with one another. Lambo twins, Fastlane/Cloudraker,etc. These guys go at it much like normal brothers would and hell they're pretty funny.

The autobots aren't suposed to be these amazing fighters as ya said, they're just trying to survive and do what's right. It's nice to see these two who aren't real good at anything still be there and do their best. So it's nice that bay plays on the fact that the good guys aren't always badass and wonderful and could be pretty goofy. On the other hand he also through in the Optimus executing Demolishor scene...not quite sure where that came from. Optimus doesn't seem to be the one to hit a guy when he's down..much less shoot him in the face.

"They can't beat the Best"

Follow me on Instagram: @Dropdead_Charlie
Game with me on PsN: Dropdead_Charlie

-------------------------------------
Vain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one

They are one of the main reasons I hated ROTF. They are a slap in the face to all TF fans... they look and talk like they were designed by a Klansman and not just some pumped up B-movie hack. If I do watch the film I fast forward any scenes with them in it. I really hope that Bay is telling the truth that they will not be in the new flick.
Matrix_Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

They are a bit over the top but I liked them.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
lars573
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix_Holder View Post
They are one of the main reasons I hated ROTF. They are a slap in the face to all TF fans... they look and talk like they were designed by a Klansman and not just some pumped up B-movie hack. If I do watch the film I fast forward any scenes with them in it. I really hope that Bay is telling the truth that they will not be in the new flick.
Klansmen? Let's back this outrage truck up a bit. You been to a Junior high/high school in the last 15 years? They're packed with the human equivalent of the twins, wiggers. They're alien robots trying really hard to be African Americans, and failing. Is the alien robot angle why people see them as being so offensive? I honestly don't get the outrage. I knew what Bay was going for as soon as they opened their mouths.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #7
Stapler
Nexus Maximus

I didn't hate them like I thought I would, but I would still rather have had Sunstreaker and Sideswipe in their place.
Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
Perceptor
Alternator

I didn't find the twins that funny (but then I am not 13)... That guy from Sector 7 provided the comic relief with the other college kid caught up with Sam. We didn't need the comic relief from the twins. I don't mind the love-hate thing between the twins but their inept fighting abilities didn't fit the movie for me. As toy figs I think the alt modes look alright, the robot modes are not bad. But I wish they had less ugly head sculpts. I guess the goofy ugly faces go with the goofy characters they play.

My guess is that the twins are actually in the DOTM, but they probably won't get any lines or any camera time on their own. Just background troops, like what they did with Jar Jar Bings... He was in the next movie, but he was background.

Last edited by Perceptor; 05-07-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Perceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix_Holder View Post
Well, they're shown in the trailer. But then, that's in the background with much going on, and a big battle scene as well. Whether that means they're featuring or have any dialogue, who can say?

Is your opinion wrong? No, nobody's opinion is wrong. Personally, I hate their fugly head sculpts, and I'm not exactly fond of the fact that they act too human. Then again, I'm also not exactly a fan of the way Wheelie acted in the movie, or Jetfire's role, or the gaping plot-hole left by the pretender, etc. The whole movie seemed a mixed bag.

Anyways, I'm glad you did actually post in here to give some contrast to the discussion and show that not everyone is of the same opinion. Plus, you gave reason for your opinion, which allows other people to see your side.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
pandaprime
aficionado!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perceptor View Post
I didn't find the twins that funny (but then I am not 13)... That guy from Sector 7 provided the comic relief with the other college kid caught up with Sam. We didn't need the comic relief from the twins. I don't mind the love-hate thing between the twins but their inept fighting abilities didn't fit the movie for me. As toy figs I think the alt modes look alright, the robot modes are not bad. But I wish they had less ugly head sculpts. I guess the goofy ugly faces go with the goofy characters they play.

My guess is that the twins are actually in the DOTM, but they probably won't get any lines or any camera time on their own. Just background troops, like what they did with Jar Jar Bings... He was in the next movie, but he was background.
I agree the head sculpts were very ugly IMHO.

Feedback thread:Cybertron.ca
Items for sale thread: Selling TFs
pandaprime is offline   Reply With Quote