Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one
Re: How Toys are released now-a-days Pro-Cons

where did you see Skids????? I have been looking everywhere for him, I still haven't seen any recon ravages at retail....did they ever come out in Canada?
Matrix_Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #12
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

I miss the days of only knowing which figures were coming out by the cardbacks and the Sears/Consumers Catologues.

It was nice when I was a kid to walk into a store and discover a new toy/toyline that you knew nothing about. I miss those days.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #13
Optimus73
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheers Ian View Post
I miss the days of only knowing which figures were coming out by the cardbacks and the Sears/Consumers Catologues.

It was nice when I was a kid to walk into a store and discover a new toy/toyline that you knew nothing about. I miss those days.

This.
I recall these on Star Wars & GI Joe cardbacks vividly.
For TF's, those full colour catologue fold up thingy's that came with most of the toys. These were what I used to gauge my next "to get" wish lists.
Of course, those awesome 30 second animated tv ads debuting new toys were especially memorable too.
Optimus73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #14
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix_Holder View Post
where did you see Skids????? I have been looking everywhere for him, I still haven't seen any recon ravages at retail....did they ever come out in Canada?
Poor Guy, I never knew Burlington was such a collecting wasteland. I still think my local TRU has some Recon Ravages if you'd like one.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #15
pandaprime
aficionado!

so is the way toys are currently released helping attract kids to them or not?

Feedback thread:Cybertron.ca
Items for sale thread: Selling TFs
pandaprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #16
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

Gotta remember though back in the 80's TF's were re-released a lot the next year. ie. Minibots from series one pre-rub sign were released again during series 2 this time with rub signs. This happened often. As well, what also gave the illusion of longer releases was the packaging. Transformers did not recv any significant packaging changes until late G1, IIRC, I know it was a few years a least. When you keep seeing the same packages year to year its easy to think the line never seems to end.

Nowadays packaging changes every couple months it seems. ROTF ->HFTD, Generations->RTS, and now we are about to roll into DOTM. I'm sure some stores you will see all 5 series out there at once.
razin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:03 AM   #17
CBII
Animated

I think a lot of this is a societal problem. Credit is to easy to get now a days so people impulse buy like no tomorrow. Here's a few example's, I was in at a Walmart and a kid asks his mom for a transformer and the mom's response was "sorry honey but you have all of these already, there are no new ones". What's the parent to do? The retailer (Walmart in this case) wants new stuff on a regular bases to keep that mother and child happy and coming back. So not totally there fault.

Two things to take away from that. 1...kids want the latest thing. 2...parents are buying there kids love with toys and other such items. When I was a kid I remember being flat out told before entering a store that I wasn't getting anything so don't even ask. I'd of course look and try to ask. Always shut door with I told you before...NO. If I threw a fit...well it got ugly quickly and I still didn't have a new toy. However the next time I returned the very same toy was still sitting there. I see this problem all the time in stores. The kid throws a fit and parent panics and gives in. This is partly because people tend to look down on you as a parent because your child is having a fit. Heck I've even been guilty of it myself with my 20 month old daughter.

Not sure where I'm going with this but those are some of my random thoughts on this.
CBII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:16 AM   #18
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

I'm thinking your heading to the implication that society as a whole is based on Guilt. If not a persona that implies we must maintain some sort of social norm. That may be a standard we've adapted from TV or those self help books that do nothing but make us dsyfunctional. Or we are componsating for what we see as a correction to how we were treated as childer. Theres a lot of phyco babble that could explain it.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #19
gagagalvatron
Half psychotic

I'm thinking a lot of this is based on ideas that really haven't been tested, or that work for different products (i.e. not Transformers), or that the whole thing is just random and ad-hoc, governed solely by short-term thinking.

While I can believe that retailers believe that holding less inventory at any given time and having stock that changes frequently is a good thing, it leads to things like the glut of HFTD. This was not a good thing for anyone.

Part of that was Hasbro's fault for assembling a crappy wave. But part was the retailers'. They don't understand the product or the people who buy it, and therefore cannot make intelligent purchasing or stocking decisions.

I would say that things are getting worse, but they've been this way for years now. Energon Ultra Magnus. Alternators Swerve, Rumble, and Ravage. Animated Arcee. Red Rampage and Evac.

Still, I never felt the "you snooze you lose" quite so acutely. It seems now that even with obvious mainstays of the line -- Windcharger, Grapple -- you may only have one time (if that) that you ever see it at retail. The will-we-won't-we-Warpath wave is only the latest symptom in a system that isn't working for anyone.

It's not working to the benefit of collectors, who can't even get regular releases. It's not working for Hasbro or retailers, neither of whom benefit by tons of toys on the aisles that no one want. It's also not good for either of them to alienate customers.

About the only people who benefit are secondary market sellers. This makes no sense. Collectors pay more, and Hasbro sees none of that profit. It's the worst possible outcome.

This sucks. I didn't get into Transformers in order to gamble. I feel like I already visit chain stores way more than average and yet I feel like if I'm less vigilant, I'll miss out. It should not be this hard or tedious.

And I don't think it has to be. Last year, during my Great Arcee Hunt, I visited a bunch of Toys R Us stores over a short period. Amazingly, while there were no Arcees anywhere, Hasbro and Toys R Us were able to roll out exclusives to all the stores at the same time. Of course, they were exclusives that no one wanted (Shanghai Showdown, other repaint sets). It was uncanny.

This led me to three realizations:

1. There can be coordinated releases if they want it to happen.
  2. Hasbro and the stores don't really understand their markets -- there is something in the process, whether its from one side or both of them together (i.e. a communications breakdown) that leads to a disconnect with consumers
  3. The process is completely inefficient for everyone involved.
Will it change? It's really hard to overcome short term thinking, since it leads to short term profits and that's all they have their eyes on.

But retailers are missing out. They could be selling so much more product to people who want it. Hasbro could be moving more Transformers and seeing more profit.

Getting people in the store isn't enough. I'm at the point where I have retail fatigue. I don't want to go your store anymore, and when I don't find what I'm looking for the fifth, tenth, twentieth time, I'm not going to hang out in your store and buy something else. I'm out the door.

And if I finally decide to be done with it by shifting my orders online, I won't be coming back in that door. You've done worse than lose a sale. You've lost a customer. For good.
gagagalvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #20
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

If retail is going by this "wave" theory so that there will always be "something new on the shelf" then TRU really has to have a talk with their purchasers, because rather than purchasing several waves, they seem to stock up on waves 1+2, a little of wave 3, and then forget about the rest. That's not a good strategy in my humble opinion.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote