Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-17-2017, 12:24 PM   #1
BigWillay
Robot Master
Grinds my gears!!!!!!

Sorry if this isn't where I should be posting this, so mods feel free to move if you'd like to appropriate location.

Felt the need to post this, instead of calling the individuals out, so its a little more generic. I don't like drawing attention to members specifically in case its a one off situation.

I understand that we all love this hobby and have different levels of involvement, and I understand that some people are a little more anal in regard to the condition of their figures. That being said... I was a little disappointed this weekend with a few of the figures I picked up and their "cleanliness". I know there are some other members from this board who had similar issues.

My gripe is this..... if you are claiming a figure to be mint... having caked on dust or a thick layer of dust a) is disgusting and shame on you for treating your figure that way b) isn't really mint.... now I get it everyone has their own interpretation, and I'm not saying I'm perfect but I do wipe down all the figures I sell before meeting the other member (I give figures how I would want to receive them) and in the past I know I have sold a figure that was a little dusty, but apologized to the buyer in advance as I didn't have a chance to wipe it down as it was a spur of the moment sell/meet. I did still have the courtesy to apologize and let them know up front that the figure was dusty and would need to be wiped off.

I get it... I am one of those anal people who cleans his figures before I put them back in box, and have my loose stuff stored in ziploc baggies, but some of the condition of stuff that was sold this weekend was just nuts. Again I don't want to call the individuals out cuz I don't think that's fair. The products were great once they were cleaned. But having to clean a figure for 2.5 hrs to get it nice.. just doesn't seem fair. Granted I could have backed out of the deal, but I have been looking for said figure for a while, and didn't realize it was that bad till I got it home to have a good look at it. I'm also a man of my word so won't back out of a deal on the spot, I know I could have but that's not fair either, especially as people are carrying these figures around at the con... again won't mention any names but feedback thread will bring up time wasters.

I guess I just don't understand the lack of pride in peoples figures. The one figure I got I would be embarrassed to sell to someone in the condition I received it. Anyways just my 2 cents....
BigWillay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:39 PM   #2
79transam
Machine War
Re: Grinds my gears!!!!!!

If it takes 2 and a half hours to clean a figure, I can see why a bit of dust would be a gripe. Also makes sense why you didn't have time to clean the one you sold.
I clean mine when I get them. Regardless if it's dusty or not. But it usually only takes a couple minutes.
79transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #3
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

If I had to spend 2.5 hours cleaning a figure I'd be upset so definitely hear ya on that one and since pennies are "gone" that's just my nickel
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:32 PM   #4
TRUCKvsGUN

I once bought a figure from a boardie, and when I started transforming it, there was a giant dead earwig inside :\

Contact me if you have for sale:
Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe Book
Botcon 2006 Dawn of Futures Past Boxed Set
MP-01 Matrix
POTP Onyx Prime
TRUCKvsGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #5
Yonoid
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapmaker View Post
I once bought a figure from a boardie, and when I started transforming it, there was a giant dead earwig inside :\
custom minicon?
Yonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:04 PM   #6
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapmaker View Post
Now that's messed up
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:47 PM   #7
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

I understand where you're coming from, but to look at it from another perspective, if you own hundreds, or in some cases, thousands of figures, you just don't have the time to keep each and every figure on display clean. First world problems, am I right?

But I do think a figure should pass the blow test, as in someone took the ten seconds to quickly blow the surface layer of dust off the figure before selling it. Depending on how many figures being sold, a quick wipe with a rag couldn't hurt.

If the figure is dusty, it should be stated as part of the deal, because dust can cause discoloration.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:59 PM   #8
alternatorfan
g1 baby

Some people need to get lives.
If the price is right who cares if it's dusty??
And on that note.
Spend the time to get as clean as you would like it.
Keeping in mind what you want to pay.
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:25 PM   #9
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

Not much is worse than cigarette tar residue buildup on a white TF...
Do you have Perfect Effect Powermaster Prime upgrades PC-15 (little Ginrai dude) and PC-16 (transforming Prime cab) - or Fans Hobby Powerbaser - and you want some hard-to-get MISB ER / TR figures (the 3 ER Coneheads, Runamok, TR Twin Twist & Top Spin)? PM me if you're interested in working out a trade!
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:29 PM   #10
elburrito
Animated

i always have to fight tunnel vision on important pieces or i never see the flaws at the point of purchase which is probably where issues ought to be raised (not to suggest healthy civilized complaint is not appopriate here).

dust though is the real life equivalent of cosmic rust when it comes to TFs. fades paint, weakens plastic, hoses joints. a far cry from MIB

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote