Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion > Cybertron.ca Podcast - Canadian Slag

Old 12-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
GMfan
Robot in Disguise
Canadian Slag Episode 77 - Happy Happy Happy Christmas

Another year, another time to reflect at the season of poorly stocked pegs and lack of new robits. Ever wonder why this happens to be an annual trend? That's covered in this latest episode along with the new year of...whatever animal it is for the zodiac, as well as the best and worst Hasbro/Takara and Third Party figures released this year. Special guest Josh Perez of IDW's Robots in Disguise fame joins his favourite boarderline insane Canadians in the last Slag of 2013!

Canadian Slag 77 - Happy Happy Happy Christmas
Host: Daniel w/ Chris, Ian, Josh Perez, and eventually Wendel
- The annual holiday lull
- Year of the...whatever
- Best and worst figures of 2013

DOWNLOAD NOW!

FOLLOW CANADIAN SLAG ON TWITTER AND BE READY WHEN WE LOOK FOR LISTENER QUESTIONS!

Please e-mail any questions or topic ideas to canadianslag@gmail.com

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Protoman
The Legend
Re: Canadian Slag Episode 77 - Happy Happy Happy Christmas

The best part is someone showing up at the end =P
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Like it's a spoiler if you say who...I posted in the episode appearances that Wendel EVENTUALLY shows up...

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
Protoman
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan View Post
Host: Daniel w/ Chris, Ian, Josh Perez, and eventually Wendel
HAH!
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
HAH!
I thought that was an appropriate description :P

Also check out the Canadian Slag twitter for all the beard pics I made to troll Ian!!

Old 12-23-2013, 01:47 AM   #6
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag

They really should repaint beast figures for these "Year of the..." exclusives. I'm sick of all these big, ugly Optimus repaints. But I'd totally buy a 12-pack of zodiac beast repaints. Heck they could probably just remold RiD Megatron slightly and come up with a couple more bullshit alt modes and he could be all of them in one figure.

Top Hasbro/Takara releases.
1. Metroplex - Just the size of this guy is impressive. Why couldn't this guy have come out during the Armada trilogy? Then you could have loaded him up minicons all over the place. He does have a few issues, though, at least on mine. His knees always seem to want to bend backwards and his visor never wants to stay up. I may just remove it one day. And just overall, other than his shoulders, all of his joints could have been a little tighter. Also, because I have the Canadian version, no phrases. Thanks, Quebec!
2. Springer - Just an amazing figure. I love the aesthetic. I love the transformation. This is the kind of figure I wish all triple-changers could be. I wish I picked a couple extras up when TRU had them on half price because now I want to repaint him as that Cloud Hot Rodimus and that BW Dinobot custom that Cheetimus did.
3. Hoist - I chose Hoist over Trailbreaker because I think for their size, even though they're traditionally the same mold, Trailbreaker should be bigger. I've always though of Trailbreaker as a voyager sized character. So I think the mold works much better as Hoist than Trailbreaker.
4. AM Leo Prime - Technically this guy came out at the tail end of last year, but I think most people didn't get him until 2013. I love him. I still don't own the original Thundertron or upcoming black repaint, but I already know this guy is the best version of this mold so far. Plus he comes with a Moon minicon. I just wish some third party would come out with a Prime head for him. It's not like they couldn't repaint it for Thundertron as Magnus and Go as Nemesis.
5. Arms Micron - Just Arms Micron in general. I wish this is what Armada was originally. Minicon partners that transform into weapons instead of just useless little cars that let you unlock existing gimmicks inside the main figure. Plus you can combine them together to create custom super weapons.

Third Party
1. Hexatron - Easy. Obviously I'm a fan of Sixshot. I wish he was a little simpler actually. Some of his transformation points seem to be there just for the sake of making it more complicated.
2. Chaos Paladin - Looks badass, but a little too loose.
3. TFcon exclusives Prototype X and Z - Whatever their names are. I really dig these 2. There's just fun and solid little figures. Perfect for fiddling with. And I like that you can swap their chests to be toy accurate or card art accurate. But I'll never swap them again. What a pain! Ouch!
4. TFcon Roswell - I love her little ray gun. But she could have use a couple more paint apps.
5. TFcon Van Guardian - Could have used a lot more paint apps. And I really wish he was all silver in alt mode instead of just grey.

The Bad
3. Sandstorm - I think the hype overshadowed the figure here. Springer was so amazing and Sandstorm did less with the same mold.
2. Blitzwing - OMG! What a disappointment! I always loved Blitzwing and I've been waiting for a Classics version ever since the original Classics Astrotrain. This should have been as awesome as Springer. But due to a lot of poor design and QC issues, he's just a real pile of shit.
1. The TFCC TFSS - Aside from Scourge, Ultra Mammoth, and Slipsteam, the figures in TFSS 1.0 and 2.0 are complete crap. Not to mention all the delays and controversy surrounding it.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Arms Microns really was a love it or hate it line now wasn't it...

Old 12-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
Jawz. D
That Black Guy

Great ep guys. Especially JoshiePoo. :3

I kinda feel like the Candyman. Say my name 3 times and I eventually appear.

After I thought about what I got at TFCon this year, I don't think I liked the KFC: Black Hawk and Smack Down. They were okay as robots but didn't sit flush when in cassette mode. I don't hate them like the Hate Pro that GMfan is But they were disappointing when I messed around with them. =/

I'm comparing them to the BTS Minions line.

Follow me on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/JawzD
Jawz. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:21 AM   #9
anemis
Robot in Disguise

speaking of cheese soup you guys MUST eat a beer and cheddar cheese soup at jack astor in montreal... it,s SO good
anemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:57 AM   #10
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Malwave Send a message via Skype™ to Malwave

I have to agree with everyone on those "Year of the..." figures...aside from Omega Supreme, none of them really seem to remotely strike a cord with me. Pretty sure you can find some of those YOT Dragon Primes kicking around if you look hard enough.

But my tops:

Hasbro/Takara:
1. Generations 2013/14 Rhinox - got in JUUUST under the bar, but I can't deny this mold's place on my list. I recall going to Toys Toys Toys a long time ago and buying Rhinox and when I opened him up...eeeeeeh. This new mold does everything right and finally gives him a suitable - and screen-accurate - toy. I hope people buy the shit out of this so we get more!

2. Generations 2013/14 Sandstorm AND Springer - call it a cop-out if you want, but I can't rank one of these guys over the other; both have charms that set them apart. I love Sandstorm's Wacky Races-esk car mode, and Springer's helicopter mode. Both robot modes are articulate and unique. Both awesome and both worth buying.

3. Botcon 2013 Strika - have to agree with Ian on this one; it was the most anticipated entry in a questionable Botcon set...and made from one of my favourite Generations molds to boot. I dig the set (except Megaplex. He can crawl into a hole and die), but I love me some Strika.

4. Beast Hunters Grimwing - fuck you, I like gryphons. Gryphon transformer. I'm done *drops the mike*

5. Year of the Snake Omega Supreme - I'm picking Omega as I really dug the remolds they made for a base mold which - having owned it since 2009 - has........well let's face it, Energon Omega was meh. It was just meh. These remolds give us about as close to a Classics-style Omega Supreme as we're going to get, and that head sculpt. Just wish the damn thing would have shown up in my area's TRUs!

~ I will give an honourable mention to Titan Metroplex however. He did as well as everyone has expected, and despite having a few issues with articulation and QC, still a nice figure. Buy him if you haven't. ~

3rd Party:

1. FansToys Quakewave - no explanation needed. End of line.

2. Fansproject Quadruple-U - seriously I have to find other choices besides the ones the guys' picked

3. TFcon 2013 Prototype X and Z - having never been a fan of Twin Twist and Top Spin, Geminis and Apex's original colour schemes never seemed very appealing. Then came along TFcon and BAM, new colour scheme for two great molds. What else can I say really? If not even flinching at purchasing them wasn't a reason to put them on here, can't figure out what is.

4. MakeToys Hyper Novae - dumb name, great looking figure! I haven't had the chance to fiddle with either the Battle Tanker add-on, or Not-Nova (screw you I'm calling him that now), but I love the fact that an entire new bot was engineered to replace the G2 Prime mold, and that this only adds an extra 20-30 bucks onto the price of the trailer. But mostly, it just looks badass.

5. Echotransformers' FoC Bruticus Add-on set - gotta give a fellow ".ca" member some love here! Having first seen it used on the FoC Predaking from this year's TFcon charity project, I've been itching to get my hands on it for my own retail Brutey. The set upgrades a toy that is flawed by design, and makes it both a bit more game accurate, and a LOT more bearable to look at. Echo, great job mate!

THE BAD:

Botcon 2013 Megaplex - probably tipped my hand a tad too early, but I want to get this out of the way. I bought the set knowing Megaplex was in it....but never truly got why it was so bad. Then I transformed it....or rather, tried to, got frustrated, and left it in the Botcon box for the remainder of TFcon. I get why Blitzwing could be a contender, but he's bad because of bad design oversight; Megaplex is bad because the club made no effort. I disliked the Dreadwing mold to begin with. Also their explanation for WHY they used it is the cherry on the bullshit sundae. I wish I could swap this guy for Electro....least it's a mold I like.

Last edited by Malwave; 12-29-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Malwave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canadian slag, podcast