Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #1
Dragon Knight
Geass'd
RIP Future Shop

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/futu...-buy-1.3013534

And another retailer bites the dust...
Old 03-28-2015, 12:48 PM   #2
stef2130
Generation 2
stef2130's Ebay Auctions
Re: RIP Future Shop

If you have any items that have garenties like pc
It is transferred to bestbuy
stef2130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #3
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

Unfortunately not surprising, both Best buy and Futureshop have lost money over that last few years. Was kinda surprised this didn't happen earlier.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:13 PM   #4
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Yeah, wasn't too surprised. Honestly, I hated shopping at Futureshop. So many weird and bad experiences.

One time, I went to a store to shop for a new computer after mine went belly up. Told a guy my situation and asked for a couple printouts with the specs to a couple of computers, so I could go home and think on it. I was told I should go to their site and do it myself from home.

I promptly told the guy, I can't do that because, like I said, my computer is dead, hence why I'm shopping for a new one. Never did get my printouts and never went back again.

Too many other options.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:03 PM   #5
stef2130
Generation 2
stef2130's Ebay Auctions

Not all are closing some are staying and some are transferred to bestbuy
stef2130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:45 PM   #6
Wheelwave
Cybertron

I didn't even get my Meta Knight amiibo yet.
Wheelwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:59 PM   #7
laffy
Crossover

Guys Best buy bought out futureshop back in 2001 as to get a hold of Canada retail products and suplyers and was planing to switch over all futures to best buys but to all amazement both brands did very well competing with each other but over the last 5 years with online sales and electronic prices dropping margins were cut and best buy over the last two years started to switch things and both best buy and future shop was the same except for our shirts, store colors/names (lol) and web site as to get ready for this day.. last year our store got all new tills and software as futureshops old software for our tills was crazy 1990 old so that again come today all is needed is to flick a switch and all pos tills will see each other and such... yes it sucks but trust me this was in the works for years and should have happened back in 2001... I for one and getting switched over to best buy and only change is I sadly loosing making commission and getting a new shirt lol everything else is the same as we were already being paid under best buy... These closer as sad but omg Canada does not need 120 + stores across Canada . In the end i can say this as Im an employee for furtreshop/bestbuy and best buy is going to take care of the full time staff (the word iswe will be getting 3 months paid but depends on time .. but sadly the part timers and all management is the really said part... if any one whats to know any more info please feel free to leave a comment bellow and i sure i can answers it to a point.. like I know last week this day was happening and no i can not say for sure the exacted day the re-branding will be done. and as most of my friends where bugging me THE IS NO LIQUIDATION SALES AS FUTURESHOP STOCK IS OWNED BY BESTBUY and the stock from the store closing will be brought back to the warehouse where it will be re shiped out when needed to the remaining store.. at most some shelving and such might be sold off but knowing best buy all this will be done under rap unlike target.. as above comment all Futureshop stores are closing and the brand is sadly done NO MORE FUTERSHOP.. I think 66 stores are closing for good and 65 stores are closed and will go though a fresh coat of paint and all new signage and re-branded to bestbuy...

Last edited by laffy; 03-28-2015 at 11:05 PM.
laffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:05 PM   #8
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Future Shop/Best Buy Canada was my client, employer and now a competitor. I can tell you I loathe that company. I worked for Canon and I was dealing with FS. They treat their suppliers and vendors like shit, because they think they are the #1 guy in Canada. Then I went on to work for FS/BB both in store and in their CHQ. It's a slave labour camp there. If you are part-timer in store you are paid minimum wage and not guaranteed any hours. One week they schedule you to work 30 hours, the next week only 4 hours. You are only getting your shift 1 week ahead and their can change your shift without telling you. At CHQ it's long hours and cheap pay. They are always fighting. The products buyers are rotating every year. All the newbies are fighting for the few spots to get promotion. The suck-ups get promotion. Product category managers are fighting for flyer ad space. Hell my last manager even took my idea and presented it to the director as if it was her own idea. Dept directors are fighting for budgets. The big wigs are always working and scheming in secrecy. They talk big. One of their motto is "Learn from Challenge and Change". Well I did learn and I changed. But guess who didn't? Everyone I know who left FS/BB - by choice or not - is a much happier and better man.

It's not the first time they shut down stores with no notice. Absolute zero respect for employees and customers. It's all happened in the middle of the night, on a Saturday. I guess only the CEO, CFO and a handful of VP knew. And probably the PR guy who is taking all the fire from media. But they do this to CHQ people too, even Director level. One day I walked pass and people just disappeared from their cubicles and office. No announcement. Meanwhile, the big wigs are still getting their big fat pay cheques for saving the company millions of dollars after shutting down half the chains and laying off some 1500 people, plus the CHQ people.

I am a kind of guy who'd say never say never. But I really think I'd never spend a dollar at BB.

Last edited by Darth Cylon; 03-29-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Darth Cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:45 PM   #9
Chigimus
Masterpiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cylon View Post
Then I went on to work for FS/BB both in store and in their CHQ. It's a slave labour camp there. If you are part-timer in store you are paid minimum wage and not guaranteed any hours. One week they schedule you to work 30 hours, the next week only 4 hours. You are only getting your shift 1 week ahead and their can change your shift without telling you.
I'll throw in my insight as well as I also spent some time employed with FS in the past. The comment about being a "labour camp" and how part-timers got inconsistent hours week to week sometimes, while not false, had a reasoning behind it. Both FS and BB employed a lot high school kids and college kids in their late/early 20's to fill the evening shifts as full timers were needed to cover the mornings and afternoons. As someone who used to build department schedules, there was a lot of challenge in getting part-timers to have consistent hours due to conflicts with school hours, balancing the staffing matrix (ie. having too many people on the weekend and not enough mid-week), and when some of these kids just stick around for the term or just one year, you get a lot of turnover and the full timers fight and squabble for having the consistency of their own hours changed to accommodate balancing of the schedule.

Quote:
Hell my last manager even took my idea and presented it to the director as if it was her own idea.
Interesting you brought that up. Who do you think came up the Geek Squad initiative? Back in 2000 or 01, myself and a few other IPG guys were offering in-home set up to our customers we closed sales with as our own personal touch to our service way before Worst Buy ever came to Canada; this was a matter of building rapport with our client base. A year or 2 down the road after the take over, word got around to the regional manager at the time about we were doing who pitched it as his own idea to the VP or whoever because they thought it would be a great opportunity to cash in on the service. But of course, marketing it as a corporate service took away from that personal touch we were able to provide for our clients. It pissed us off having some of the rapport we could offer to be taken away like that, but also that none of us were given any sort of credit or compensation for its inception.

Quote:
Everyone I know who left FS/BB - by choice or not - is a much happier and better man.
^^ Truth. I walked away at the height of my prime in that I was a COE Elite every year for 3 years and could've chosen to run my tenure longer as I was still fully capable of keeping up my metrics, but ever since the Worst Buy takeover, the corporate culture has gradually continued on a downward spiral. When FS had its original Canadian roots, there was a very healthy and fun sense of family and I enjoyed coming in to work. Those feelings deteriorated over time with the integration of BB's policies and procedures, the disrespectful nature in how they handled disciplinary actions, etc. It all came to a boil for me in 2008 as even though I could still perform as a COE Elite, I just wasn't enjoying the job anymore. I wasn't the only one that felt this way as myself along with 2 other IPG Elites from the same store departed within 6 months. Then another few months went by and even Kevin Layden himself resigned as president. You gotta know SOMETHING must be wrong when the captain jumps ship too, right?

Laffy, your post doesn't make it seem as though you've been there for very long as you seem quite comfortable with FS being scrubbed out of the market, and as a full-timer who seems to be confident in his job security, I'm happy for you. But you'll never truly know how much better it was to work for FS before the buyout.

At the end of the day, as sudden as it seems to be for the general public, I knew this day would come eventually as did everyone else I know who used to work there. The weak electronics market was the last nail in the coffin was all. RIP.

Sadly, there still aren't really many other alternatives for mid to high quality electronics as a retailer in Canada, so BB will probably still end up getting some of my money still. Not for computers, but for home theatre, what other avenue do we have in this country besides Visions?
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:19 PM   #10
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

Good riddance to the company;

But I feel bad for the people who's jobs are affected.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote