Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-27-2017, 07:32 AM   #21
Pascal
Banned
Re: Last Knight Slash and Grimlock repaints...why?

Another thing to consider: there are plenty of $15-40 toys that don't do much compared to Transformers. $20 Zords that barely transform, poorly articulated action figures, etc. Transformers may be small at times, but at least they do something.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:43 AM   #22
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Another thing to consider: there are plenty of $15-40 toys that don't do much compared to Transformers. $20 Zords that barely transform, poorly articulated action figures, etc. Transformers may be small at times, but at least they do something.
Excellent point, of course, here every single Power Rangers toy is sorely shelf warming. They aren't moving worth a Damn here. Everywhere is fully stocked every day. Food for thought.

Last edited by GotBot; 04-27-2017 at 03:14 PM.
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:19 PM   #23
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBot View Post
Funny how time goes. As a kid, Woolco here had G1 Oprimus for 32 bucks. I can recall drooling and my parents saying hell no. For that price, maybe Christmas, lol. Which was what happened.
$32 in 84 is equivalent to $70 today. $30 for a deluxe seems like a bargain in comparison.

Quote:
Good point, but it has been stated that this line is intended for adults akin to Star Wars Black Series.
Its been stated by fans but not hasbro. Hasbro is curently advertising these same toys on their facebook page for all kids to see. These toys are meant for kids, not collectors and the fancy packaging is to help show their parents that they are worth the $30.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:52 PM   #24
Ultra Maverick
The Bow Tie Guy

Both are an easy pass for me, the only Dinobot I'm considering this time around is the Voyager Scorn figure we're getting
Ultra Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:08 PM   #25
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
$32 in 84 is equivalent to $70 today. $30 for a deluxe seems like a bargain in comparison.

Its been stated by fans but not hasbro. Hasbro is curently advertising these same toys on their facebook page for all kids to see. These toys are meant for kids, not collectors and the fancy packaging is to help show their parents that they are worth the $30.
All true. But let's face it. Even the kid market only goes so far. Every movie results in some of the worst shelf warming. Remember the colonies of bumblebee after aoe? Jesus.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:17 PM   #26
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post

And that is exactly the problem, how ANYONE can call 30 for a deluxe a bargain. and THIS is why prices keep going up, because we allow it.

That is not what I read at all. I read that Hasbro's intention is for these to be collector oriented. Now, I cannot cite a reference, so I won't bother and will defer to you. But, no, I didn't hear fan chatter. I heard it was a statement by Hasbro.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:35 PM   #27
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
But, people still hav3 a choice to look at a box and say yep, this is fine for 30 plus tax or say no, that's nuts. Funny how time goes. As a kid, Woolco here had G1 Oprimus for 32 bucks. I can recall drooling and my parents saying hell no. For that price, maybe Christmas, lol. Which was what happened.
For that time period that was expensive for Prime. In my area he retailed for $20. Man you have awesome parents.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:11 PM   #28
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

MPM Optimus announced for $99 usd... so $150 here most likely.

It great, but not terrible for an "MP" figure. $100 on sale would be nicer.

I may end up only buying Voyager Megs, Leader Megs, Voyager Scorn, and some of the MPMs this time around. Voyager Hound and Deluxe Steelbane are a "maybe on a big sale".
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:00 PM   #29
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con

Personally, I'm fine with my AOE Slash and have zero love for that Grimlock mould, so I won't be getting either. As for the price...

So here's the thing. I think deluxe class figures are actually worth $30. IF DONE WELL. I pay $30 for Marvel Legends because the sculpts are amazing, the paint is great and the accessories are cool. I also pay $30 for Star Wars Black Series figs...though only for my most cherished characters. The sculpts there aren't as good, nor is the paint or accessories. Both those lines, however, I only grab occasionally. Basically cause I just pose them on my shelf and that's that. Transformers I actually fiddle with. Bot mode for awhile, then wok-wok-wok to alt mode. (Yes, that's a transformers noise.). I feel like I get more value from transformers than action figures, so sure, I can respect the price hike. WHEN DONE WELL.

The catch there is the DONE WELL part. You know what's not worth premium pricing? Repaints. Know what else isn't worth premium pricing? A figure with a grey hinge in the middle of a black door, (looking at you, Berserker). Or a backpack I need to mod. Or a flap behind the head that doesn't fold down. Or clear painted plastic that doesn't match coloured solid plastic.

Wow. Ranting, huh.

I also have an issue with getting bombarded with the price increase. See, $30 might be justified, but it's a 50% price increase all at once. F that. Imagine buying gas last week for $1.10, then finding it at $1.65 today. Everyone would lose their shit over it. Go to see 'Logan' last month for a $12 ticket; go see 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' for $18. That'd be crazy. .

So that's my thoughts. Will I buy anything from this line at retail? Probably. Not nearly as much as I would have though.
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:38 PM   #30
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
For that time period that was expensive for Prime. In my area he retailed for $20. Man you have awesome parents.
Yep, I sure do. I am very lucky. Even now, Starscream Girlfriend is the reason I have Primus, Sky Shadow, Deluxe Octane, Grimlock, Jhiaxus and ever so many. I have my wave three TR deluxes as a Christmas gift from my dad and my mom scored me TR Brainstorm. That is a supportive family and I loved email dearly for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliebot View Post
MPM Optimus announced for $99 usd... so $150 here most likely.

It great, but not terrible for an "MP" figure. $100 on sale would be nicer.

I may end up only buying Voyager Megs, Leader Megs, Voyager Scorn, and some of the MPMs this time around. Voyager Hound and Deluxe Steelbane are a "maybe on a big sale".
Oddly, I don't really see any fault with the MPM Prime pricing. I mean, kind of expensive but so is that line so it makes sense. Thank God, finally seeing a sane movieline decision. There is hope lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Quinn View Post
Personally, I'm fine with my AOE Slash and have zero love for that Grimlock mould, so I won't be getting either. As for the price...

So here's the thing. I think deluxe class figures are actually worth $30. IF DONE WELL. I pay $30 for Marvel Legends because the sculpts are amazing, the paint is great and the accessories are cool. I also pay $30 for Star Wars Black Series figs...though only for my most cherished characters. The sculpts there aren't as good, nor is the paint or accessories. Both those lines, however, I only grab occasionally. Basically cause I just pose them on my shelf and that's that. Transformers I actually fiddle with. Bot mode for awhile, then wok-wok-wok to alt mode. (Yes, that's a transformers noise.). I feel like I get more value from transformers than action figures, so sure, I can respect the price hike. WHEN DONE WELL.

The catch there is the DONE WELL part. You know what's not worth premium pricing? Repaints. Know what else isn't worth premium pricing? A figure with a grey hinge in the middle of a black door, (looking at you, Berserker). Or a backpack I need to mod. Or a flap behind the head that doesn't fold down. Or clear painted plastic that doesn't match coloured solid plastic.

Wow. Ranting, huh.

I also have an issue with getting bombarded with the price increase. See, $30 might be justified, but it's a 50% price increase all at once. F that. Imagine buying gas last week for $1.10, then finding it at $1.65 today. Everyone would lose their shit over it. Go to see 'Logan' last month for a $12 ticket; go see 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' for $18. That'd be crazy. .

So that's my thoughts. Will I buy anything from this line at retail? Probably. Not nearly as much as I would have though.
Very well thought out. Thanks for sharing. I am not personally into Marvel Legends or Star Wars, but air completely see your point and am familiar with the figures. Mind you, I tend to find more fault with Black Series then Legends. TLK though, as you point out is not done well. I feel like with TR we hit a super sweet spot with awesome value for cost. I can't speak highly enough of Hasbro fir that line. Sure there are still imperfections but on the whole it has been fun, innovative and characters not seen overly often. With a few more paint apps and maybe an extra mold of too for added diversity they may well be worth a slight hike at some point over the next couple years. But TLK isn't close to that level of quality.I go to a restaurant and spend a lot on food. No issue if I am full and it is delicious. If I still leave hungry then even if the food was good it just wasn't good enough and as fun is say Barricade is things like the backpack and tricky arm transformation just make him not quite good enough.