Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!
Challenge To Myself...Need Your Input

I want to step outside my narrow minded G1 box for a second and force myself to try something new. I can't enjoy most of my collection with my kids because most are quite expensive (G1 or Masterpiece). I want to get my 8 year old more involved.

I only began collecting in August 2013 so I missed out on a lot of lines. Personally, not many of the Transformers today impress me. But admittedly, I have not tried much out there either. So my assessment usually has no merit other than by visual appearances and others' feedback. So here's the challenge...

I'd like members here to recommend some official Transformer toys to purchase that are NOT from the G1 or Masterpiece line. No 3rd Party please. It can be new, old, any line, CHUG, Beast Wars, Movieverse, whatever. I will try anything and hunt it down if not readily available.

Tell me what's your besty. Something you consider to be an excellent designed mainline toy that can be played with over and over, not just a good display piece. Ideally, a character that has G1 roots, but not necessarily a must. I'm looking for something with an interesting transformation, nothing too simple. A well executed alt mode would be nice too. Something that's worthy of displaying proudly in my collection and at the same time can be enjoyable to share with my children.

Thanks,
MP

P.s. pics or links would be helpful. I'm not well versed in anything other than G1/Masterpiece lol

Last edited by MULTIPLEX; 11-10-2014 at 08:44 PM. Reason: P.s.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #2
tz101
Machine War
Re: Challenge To Myself...Need Your Input

I suggest the Target Prime&Grimlock set. Deluxe and Voyager for 16.99 with a $5 gift card. Wicked price and the Grimlock has an awesome deco.
tz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
Rev
Addict

Armada. Love those toys. Not all of them have great articulation but they are creative and solid. The plastic is phenomenal. If you are used to today's toys you will find the plastic wonderfully solid.

Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #4
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

Armada. I watched the recently released videos with my kids, and got the old toys out--the play value is excellent. Some of the toys are a bit silly looking but many are great sculpts, VERY well built and rugged, and just plain fun.

For example maybe start with "Bendy Prime", Red Alert, Starscream and Megatron. And perhaps the Grindor/High Wire/Sureshot team. If there isn't interest after that then there are always other lines to try...

EDIT--Rev, you beat me to it, lolzzz!!!

Now, if not for the kids, might I recommend the Alternity Line. This fantastically detailed line doesn't have a huge number of molds, but if you focus on the original releases (vs. the recent racing cars with liveries) the price is reasonable and the transformations are very challenging and impressive!
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower

Off the top of my head:

-UNI 2.0 or RTS Cyclonus (depending if you like G1 toy or cartoon colors)
-RotF Ejector...a little killer toaster
-RTS Lugnut
-ENER or 25th Anniversary Unicron (the colors)
-Armada Megatron...a big electronic green tank, with a bit more play value and articulation compared to G2 Megatron
-ENER Galvatron...it's G1 homages galore. Plus it's a big jumbo piece of plastic with a funky space jet/cruiser alt mode
-Generations Scoop...can't go wrong with a figure with 2 Targetmaster guns
-Prime Wheeljack...futuristic sports car with decent articulation and 2 non-rubbery swords
-Generations Swerve...very good little figure
-Generations Starscream (Legends)...decent crossover between G1 and modern jet. I love the colors, and it comes with a little Waspinator if you liked BW.
-PCC Undertow....an excellent figure. There's not that many waterbased alt modes for the Decepticons
-Animated Arcee...not perfect, but a very good homage.
-Animated Rodimus...a very good figure that's almost 100% show accurate.
-Cybertron Scrapmetal (any color)...I just love both modes. The key activated feature is kinda crappy, so you can ignore it.
-RiD Scourge...if you like a good toy that was also on the show. Plus it's a legit black Optimus, not some repaint to sell a toy.
-Armada Mini-Cons...there are a variety of teams to suit your preferences. Some have been released in multiple colors as well. The Japanese ones might get pricy, but some have better color schemes.

Your tastes may differ from mine, so do research first on my list above. There are plenty of galleries of each figure.

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #6
Wheeljack Off
Banned
Wheeljack Off's Ebay Auctions

I would say Classics...
Like where have you been man, they are the g1 characters you clearly care for updated without sacrificing.

No corresponding cartoon though, which might make it tricky to get your kids that into it.
Wheeljack Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:14 PM   #7
Jonnydark
Beast Machine

I recommend Animated to be honest. I loved the chunky designs and many of the toys had fantastic transformations.

Voyager Prime... Voyager Wrek-Gar... Deluxe Blur... Leader Class Bulkhead... Deluxe Soundwave.

I haven't watched the show though so I don't know about that.

Jonnydark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #8
sarmick01
Canadian Slag

I always thought that animated Rodimus was an awesome design....especially how the alt mode folds up and is almost non existant in robot mode.
sarmick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #9
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

I would easily recommend Animated. Great appeal to kids, colourful, unique design. Appeal to adult collectors, very show accurate, not overly complicated but still satisfying transformations.

If you have not watched the show, please do yourself a favour and watch it. It takes a few episodes to really get into the new aesthetic but the G1 throwbacks through out the series are fantastic.
razin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:41 PM   #10
pandaprime
aficionado!

Quote:
Originally Posted by razin View Post
I would easily recommend Animated. Great appeal to kids, colourful, unique design. Appeal to adult collectors, very show accurate, not overly complicated but still satisfying transformations.

If you have not watched the show, please do yourself a favour and watch it. It takes a few episodes to really get into the new aesthetic but the G1 throwbacks through out the series are fantastic.

Checkout Deluxe Samurai Prowl:

or Dinobots!

Feedback thread:Cybertron.ca
Items for sale thread: Selling TFs

Last edited by pandaprime; 11-10-2014 at 10:06 PM.
pandaprime is offline   Reply With Quote