Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #1
transcustoms
transcustoms's Ebay Auctions
What Musician/Bands have you met?

I have met:

CKY
Placebo
HIM
Mindless Self Indulgence
Skindred
Finch

I could have met Katy Perry but I had no idea who she was at the time
Old 07-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind
Re: What Musician/Bands have you met?

I met Ace Freely once. Nice guy I suppose.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:24 PM   #3
Pascal
Banned

Aerosmith (shook hands with Steven Tyler before a show in Montreal in 2001)

The Cult (before that same Aerosmith show)

Proclaimers (met them before a show in Montreal 2001 and again in 2005 after a show in Vancouver after they helped me proposed Emilie)

Skydiggers (met them backstage before a show in Montreal)

Matt Sharp (ex-Weezer, after one of his solo shows in Vancouver in 2004)

Glen Phillips (Toad the wet sprocket, after an in-store solo performance in Seattle in 2004)

Eric Singer (drummer for Kiss/Alice Cooper, before an Alice Cooper show in Ottawa last year at a Long & McQuaid)

Jean-Marc Pisapia (The Box, after a show in Thetford Mines last year)

Last edited by Pascal; 07-26-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

I've worked with Bob Dylan for about 15 hours at a concert. A very odd unpersonable individual.

We weren't allowed to make eye contact with anyone from his tour bus, or even be in the same area as them. I'm not kidding. We were actually told before the tour bus arrived that it was in the contract, and the moment any of that happened Dylan and everyone on his tour bus would pack up and leave. Didn't matter if it was before, during, or after the show. The only contact allowed between the crew setting stuff up and the tour bus people was our head supervisor and their liaison. Two people had to move a sound board, and a bunch of heavy equipment cases the long way around the entire area to move it about 4 meters from its origin just to avoid those people. The people from the tour bus would skirt around areas if we were already in them (a courtesy I am grateful towards), but they wouldn't budge from where they already were.

And on top of that, Dylan had his back to the audience for all but 2 songs during the show, and of those songs he only actually sang one of them. For the time that his back was turned to the audience, he ended up maybe singing a song and a half, just cutting it right off in the middle. And this show was definitely longer than an hour.

So most of the show he just swayed back and forth as the band and background singers played.

I used to have a whole lot of respect for Bob Dylan, but after seeing that, I lost a little. I know he's a huge star and everything, but he should have at least shown a little respect and actually sang the songs, or even just faced the audience for the whole show.

Seriously, it could have been almost anybody up on that stage that somewhat looked like Bob Dylan from behind, and the audience wouldn't have known the difference.

edit: I am a bit embarrassed about the whole thing though, since at the time I had confused Bob Dylan with Tom Petty, who I thought were one and the same, and looked like Tom Petty. So at one point I was sitting eating food and Dylan came and sat about 3 meters away from me smoking (no, it didn't smell any different from regular tobacco, if it did I'd have started the post saying I got high with Bob Dylan) and I didn't even realize it.

edit 2: I had no idea how rabid fans could get until that day. While setting up crowd control fences some woman insisted on giving me a hat to give to Dylan, since he had left it on stage at a concert like 20 years prior, and she had been trying to get it back to him ever since. People were piling up outside the fences screaming to have stuff given to Dylan or have him sign hours before the tour bus showed up. And the hat seemed pretty normal. There were people with baked goods and empty wrappers and all sorts of crazy stuff. People just piling up in the middle of the day in the middle of the street on Lundy's Ln. in Niagara Falls, right down near the falls. It was insane.

edit 3: I've also worked indirectly with Sean Schemmel (voice of Goku, and boy is this guy really awesome in real life) for a radio show through This Week in Geek. I played a hippie wormy negotiator, while Sean played like half the cast. Dodd at TWiG is still all buddy buddy with Sean, and they've hung out on a few occasions to just chill out and play video games. I've personally never met him though.

edit 4: Dodd also said he might have been able to get Stan Bush to play at my wedding, thought I have no idea how the hell that would have worked, so I politely declined. Stan probably would have cost more than the wedding itself. Way too high profile for me.

Also, a close friend of mine (he was my best man at my wedding, and I at his) worked closely with a whole bunch of bands that same summer I worked with Dylan.

Last edited by Shepp; 07-21-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #5
Ninjatron
Overlord of all Ninjas

I said Konbanwa to Shonen Knife in line for a November 2007 concert in Toronto as they were walking out of the venue to hit the town before their set. They turned around and said Konbanwa back to me. That was about the extent of it. It was a good moment though.

Sayonara.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
Mighty_Galvatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
I've worked with Bob Dylan for about 15 hours at a concert. A very odd unpersonable individual.

We weren't allowed to make eye contact with anyone from his tour bus, or even be in the same area as them. I'm not kidding. We were actually told before the tour bus arrived that it was in the contract, and the moment any of that happened Dylan and everyone on his tour bus would pack up and leave. Didn't matter if it was before, during, or after the show. The only contact allowed between the crew setting stuff up and the tour bus people was our head supervisor and their liaison. Two people had to move a sound board, and a bunch of heavy equipment cases the long way around the entire area to move it about 4 meters from its origin just to avoid those people. The people from the tour bus would skirt around areas if we were already in them (a courtesy I am grateful towards), but they wouldn't budge from where they already were.

And on top of that, Dylan had his back to the audience for all but 2 songs during the show, and of those songs he only actually sang one of them. For the time that his back was turned to the audience, he ended up maybe singing a song and a half, just cutting it right off in the middle. And this show was definitely longer than an hour.

So most of the show he just swayed back and forth as the band and background singers played.

I used to have a whole lot of respect for Bob Dylan, but after seeing that, I lost a little. I know he's a huge star and everything, but he should have at least shown a little respect and actually sang the songs, or even just faced the audience for the whole show.

Seriously, it could have been almost anybody up on that stage that somewhat looked like Bob Dylan from behind, and the audience wouldn't have known the difference.
All I can say about that is "wow." A very negative wow.

I have met both The Tea Party and Matthew Good. Both were excellent experiences.
Mighty_Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:22 PM   #7
hugh_da_man
Armada

Pelican, All That Remains, and 3 is all I can think of right now...Pelican was awesome but I told them to come back to Calgary soon and they didn't, lol. All That Remains were cool. 3 are awesome guys who deserve to be more famous than they currently are. They killed the show and then signed autographs for hours.
hugh_da_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:26 AM   #8
Gorilla Warfare
Damn Dirty Ape
Gorilla Warfare's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Gorilla Warfare

I met Sasha Koneitzko of KMFDM after a show five years ago, and basically made an incoherent ass of myself by gibbering about how a guy his age can still rock out.

I also got high with the bassist from DOA before their set when I was 18 and all about punk.

My girlfriend interned at one of the local independent magazines, so I got to meet the guys from Shout Out Out Out Out about ten thousand times, which was about as underwhelming as you'd expect.
Gorilla Warfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:46 AM   #9
aximili
Machine War

Lisa Brokop, a very down-to-Earth country singer. She was super nice.

And that's it for actual meeting as in "Hi my name is"

I'm almost hesitant to meet anyone I really like, just in case they turn out awful, like the Bob Dylan thing someone mentioned.

On the one hand, I understand fans are nuts and you shouldn't give up your personal life to please them. However, they made you famous and they're where the money comes from. At concerts and fan events, it can't hurt to say hi and smile a little.

Also, I know some great guys who work in setting up lights and sound and stuff and most bands are pretty good. These guys are working with you, so it's not a lot to take a couple minutes and say hi. And no eye contact is ridiculous.
aximili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #10
Nocturn
Previously Dead

I met Adam Sandler once....