Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-11-2013, 03:22 AM   #1
Oberon Prime
Beasty
Wreckers and Helicopters

So I just had this really strange realization.

Through various continuities and incarnations the Wreckers seem to have quite a few members both former and current who turn into helicopters.

Two of them are Springer and Sandstorm and are as such triple changers but their is also Whirl and Rotorstorm who only change into Helicopters. Perhaps their are others I've missed. and I am well aware that their are many other established members who are not helicopters.

However I'm putting together a team of mainly IDW Wreckers in toy form and it seems with the exception of botcon exclusives and those FoC Bruticus repaints (which are horrible IMO) that the majority of the official main release toys out there and soon to be released are copterbots with the exception of Generations Kup and RtS Preceptor.

Has their been any fiction to explain why so many bots with copters as their alt mode are or have been wreckers members?

Also does anybody have ideas of who else aside from Kup and Preceptor I might use to balance out all the helicopters in my planned display. I would like some ideas that are not TFP, FoC Ruination set or 3rd party
My Want Thread
My Sales Thread

Oberon Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:18 AM   #2
Hobbytron
Straight and Flowerful
Hobbytron's Ebay Auctions
Re: Wreckers and Helicopters

That's quite a quite a quest, good luck!
Hobbytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
down_shift
Fortress Maximus

No fiction to explain why there are so many copters in the wreckers.

Other then the official wreckers team they put out, that awful Voyager Whirl that's coming out and some third party options there really isn't much else outside the g1 figures.
down_shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
nicoath
Underbase caretaker

Here's some ideas for your wreckers team:

1. Universe Roadbuster (from the 2-pk; repaint of Cybertron Defense Hotshot)
2. Generations Deluxe Scoop (upcoming)
3. Generations Voyager Whirl (upcoming)
4. DOTM Cyberverse Commander Guzzle
EDIT
5. PCC Leadfoot
6. Universe Voyager Inferno

The above two edits if you consider the Marvel UK & Regen 1 incarnations

That's all I can think of, respecting your limitations but the 3rd party Mech Ideas Topspin & Twintwist are very affordable and awesome figures.

Not sure why there's an abundunce of choppers, coincidence or tactical I guess

Last edited by nicoath; 09-11-2013 at 08:54 AM.
nicoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
Oberon Prime
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoath View Post
1. Universe Roadbuster...
Anybody have any idea on how easy this would be to obtain and how much? Looks like a good option. Thanks.

Quote:
2. Generations Deluxe Scoop (upcoming)
3. Generations Voyager Whirl (upcoming)...
I had already intended to get the Whirl (despite being another copterbot) and given the surprise with Sandstorm the Whirl toy would be a relatively easy and obvious remold into Rotorstorm so I expect that will happen as well (which will bring the number of copters in the display to 4)

I will admit I had forgot Scoops status as a past Wrecker. I was getting that toy for the double target master feature anyways. So in the display he goes.

Quote:
...respecting your limitations but the 3rd party Mech Ideas Topspin & Twintwist are very affordable and awesome figures.
Now not wishing to set off a debate about the merits of 3rd party, I am well pleased with various replacement parts and accessory pieces. And I've seen and held many such items first hand (including the Mech Ideas Demolition Crue) and they are quite nice. However at the back of my mind I think their not really Transformers (which of course they are not). And quite right they are very affordable compared to many but still expensive for a pair of deluxe sized robots.

Mostly my objection to those two I suspect is bad memories of owning the originals as a child. The Jumpstarters were by far my least favourite G1 toys as a child. I look at the Demolition Crue and despite the addressing of all I hated I just can't bring myself at this point to buy them.
My Want Thread
My Sales Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
carissa
Energon

I've also repainted DOTM Ratchet (dlx) into Ironfist. And got the new head, fists, chest piece from a member on Shapeways. Intend to do a second repaint at some point.

Last edited by carissa; 09-11-2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Popped in a photo of Ironfist.
carissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
Tonestar
Star Seeker

I think Bulkhead from the TF Prime TV show said Seaspray was part of their Wrecker Team before he was destroyed and the HFTD Seaspray or Deep Dive would be ideal to join the Wreckers IMHO.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberonprime View Post
Now not wishing to set off a debate about the merits of 3rd party, I am well pleased with various replacement parts and accessory pieces. And I've seen and held many such items first hand (including the Mech Ideas Demolition Crue) and they are quite nice. However at the back of my mind I think their not really Transformers (which of course they are not). And quite right they are very affordable compared to many but still expensive for a pair of deluxe sized robots.

Mostly my objection to those two I suspect is bad memories of owning the originals as a child. The Jumpstarters were by far my least favourite G1 toys as a child. I look at the Demolition Crue and despite the addressing of all I hated I just can't bring myself at this point to buy them.
Friend of mine has the 3rd party jumpstarters. Much as I don't really go in for 3rd party, they're pretty nice toys. Not way too overly complicated (and well beyond what a person can expect from a mass-retail toy), not too big or small, and pretty much bang on with color and look. I didn't transform but they aren't nearly as overpriced as some of the 3rd party stuff. I'm tempted, personally.

I wish I'd found Guzzle on the shelf.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
Oberon Prime
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
Friend of mine has the 3rd party jumpstarters. Much as I don't really go in for 3rd party, they're pretty nice toys. Not way too overly complicated (and well beyond what a person can expect from a mass-retail toy), not too big or small, and pretty much bang on with color and look. I didn't transform but they aren't nearly as overpriced as some of the 3rd party stuff. I'm tempted, personally.
Yeah a friend of mine has them as well and I had the opportunity to see them in hand. They are very nice.

Its just a matter that usually I'm pretty budget restricted when it comes to purchases. Requiring me to make some tough calls.

For instance I largely had to restrict (despite wanting to buy them all) my purchase of TFP toys to the best representation of each character that appeared in the show with a few exceptions. So I have the FE versions but not the PRID versions for the same characters. I skipped all the Beast Hunter spiky versions that never appeared in the show and most of the Predacons (which was an easy skip since I strongly dislike the aesthetic of those toys). But I bought Thundertron (cause you know space pirate with a peg leg, he was never not being bought). The result is that TFP now represents the most figures I have from any single line while still being far from the complete line. Long and short is I can't afford to be a completist.

The very first 3rd party toy I saw in person was Warbot Defender so impressed was I that for a time I seriously considered tracking him down. I only held back because of that innocuous he isn't really Springer or a Transformer feeling in the pit of my stomach. Now I have an amazing and far preferable official version for far less.

I think I will always wonder if I'll come to regret the premium I pay for 3rd party placeholders should Hastak come through and engineer an official release.

All of this being said I rather badly want Hexatron and if not for what I spent on MP Soundwave and Generations Metroplex I may very well have ordered him...
My Want Thread
My Sales Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberonprime View Post
Has their been any fiction to explain why so many bots with copters as their alt mode are or have been wreckers members?
I think the reason why so many helicopters, just in general, are Autobots is for the same reason most fish are Maximals. It's almost a universal rule that Decepticons are jets and Autobots are cars. Like how Predacons are almost always cold-blooded animals(reptiles, amphibians, insects) and Maximals are almost always warm-blooded animals(mammals and birds). The only flying type of alt mode left for Autobots are helicopters. And the only scaly creatures for Maximals was fish.