Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion > Cybertron.ca Podcast - Canadian Slag

Old 12-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #11
Aernaroth
Metroplex
Re: Canadian Slag Episode 20 - OMG WTF IDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stapler View Post
That was nice episode with some very frank discussion. I've been considering getting back into the TF comics via TPB's. I've mostly have my eye's on the G1 Marvel collections and the War Within omnibus.
The G1 marvel collections are nice, but due to trademark issues, there are some issues they can't print in full, and it kind of breaks up the flow of the story. I cant recall if the Titan books had the same problem.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #12
Paradigm-Shift Prime
Unit Warrior

Good stuff.

B-day TFCon!!!
Paradigm-Shift Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #13
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stapler View Post
That was nice episode with some very frank discussion. I've been considering getting back into the TF comics via TPB's. I've mostly have my eye's on the G1 Marvel collections and the War Within omnibus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aernaroth View Post
The G1 marvel collections are nice, but due to trademark issues, there are some issues they can't print in full, and it kind of breaks up the flow of the story. I cant recall if the Titan books had the same problem.
More or less what he said. I think one of the major issues is Circuit Breaker because she's owned by Marvel. I got the original Marvel stuff they printed but I think IDW's issue one was like issue 4 and suddenly they were on to the smelting pool story line with Blaster (???). What is a pretty good bang for your buck though if you want retro stuff go for the UK reprints (aka best of the UK) like Target: 2006, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm-Shift Prime View Post
Good stuff.

B-day TFCon!!!
Seems to be the case for a lot of people this year...a lot of parents found ways to keep warm in November I guess....

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #14
omegalaw
Generation 2

Great job summing up IDWs fatal faults, I wish that they would get their excrement together so I had a more established and expansive universe to follow. Unless they do I know I will not be picking up another book.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #15
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

A good episode. Most of what Daniel said mirrors how I feel about the IDW books. Mostly how they seem to be completely ignoring everything that has been established for these characters just to do "new things".

Some, hopefully constructive, criticisms; Daniel needs to sit closer to the microphone, or get a better one than he's using because it was often difficult to hear what he was saying (which will be addressed again later), and please, for the love of god, please keep Mindy from SCREAMING into the mic! "DAMMIT!!" and "I'M NOT THAT KIND OF FANGIRL!!!", and others almost blew my friggin' speakers!

Also, and I'm sure it's hard not to, but please try not to talk over each other so often. If it wasn't missing a good point that Daniel was making because Chris and Mindy were having their own side conversation; which comes back to Daniel either needing to sit closer to the, or get a completely new, mic, then it was not being able to hear what anybody was saying because you were all talking, and others screaming, all at once.

I don't say these things out of hate, but out of love. I have really just started listening to these podcasts and I really enjoy them. I just want to see (or hear in this case) them get better.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #16
TMIIWonkoNemises
Animated
Send a message via Skype™ to TMIIWonkoNemises

Now I'm incredibly thankful that I didn't bother reading the IDW Comics...otherwise I'd be ranting like the rest of you guys...not like that's a bad thing or anything.

.....I heard that snicker when Beast Machines was mentioned....

I guess I'm one of the 10% that don't care about the 80s Transformers...but rather,the ones from the 90s(lol).I don't find it as bothersome anymore that the current stories are G1-esque,however,I still care about better written TF Comics.It's inexcusable that they get away with the writing because of how well Transformers is selling right now.I grew up with a well written Transformers Series,so I expect...well,want for others to follow.

But it is true that about the casual Fans,but it's truly up to them if they want to explore the Franchise...have I not went to explore about certain aspects of G1,RiD,IDW,and DW...I would have been one of those casual Fans.I'm sorry that I can't really talk about the whole difference between IDW and DW and each of their accomplishments...but you did got me interested in picking up these DW Comics.

It seems that IDW is really spreading around in many directions and adapting former Series',which I'm guessing it's causing a huge mess in the Ongoing Comic.Of course this is due to bad editing and quick decisions.Although my assumptions are based entirely of little knowledge of what's going on(and correct me if I am wrong here)but if IDW want to go with new directions for the Ongoing Comic,would it have not been better to slowly move from one direction to another within each comic,instead of putting it all at once?It pretty much worked throughout the ongoing comics in Marvel and DC,which Andy did work on apparently...also...IDW could have followed a similar formula to the ongoing Marvel/DC Comics....but once again,this is due to poor editing and quick decisions.

On the Movieverse itself,I agreed with Daniel said that everyone coming out of the theatre don't go to get Movie stuff.Eventually I got some toys,but I still would rather favour the two TF Series I grew up with know well.Currently,I am disappointed with the direction of writing on all TF Series since the end of the Beast Era,and considering what you guys are saying about IDW,that direction of good writing has not yet returned...and guessing it might never come back.

I'm going to get off topic now,but I really wish that IDW should explore more untold areas that need to be written rather than what they're doing now.I agree that the Original Thirteen was something that I was looking forward to,and I wish that IDW will flesh out more stories that deserved to be told in terms of G1,since this is the most expansive.I'm reading the Marvel TF Comics right now,and I agree that Furman did a great job at that time...but this type of writing needs to go deeper,and I really hoped that IDW would do something like that now that they are handling storylines with G1 characters again,but for now...I'm going away from IDW,perhaps all TF Comics until they put their act together in terms of writing.I know you guys mentioned art as well...but I won't delve into that.

Okay,I'm done with my rant now.Great Podcast guys.

On an unrelated note:

'Soundtape and Dogbot'--Still never gets old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot View Post
My anus is certainly not a secret toys garden, and I'm deeply offended by the insinuation!

Last edited by TMIIWonkoNemises; 12-06-2009 at 06:25 PM.
TMIIWonkoNemises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:37 PM   #17
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

Yep.

Drift is Poochie.

"Where's Drift?"

That's what everyone should be asking!

Cheers!
-Ian
Old 12-06-2009, 11:38 PM   #18
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

On a side note...

Was the whole Sunstreaker/Hunter/Headmasters thing ever properly wrapped up?

Cause I sure missed it if it was...

Cheers!
-Ian
Old 12-07-2009, 12:29 AM   #19
Protoman
The Legend

Sorry about the shitty mic guys. It's a headset so I doubt it's cause I am too far....... it's just a bad mic, I need to get a new one. Thanks for the kind words.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:56 AM   #20
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMIIWonkoNemises View Post
would it have not been better to slowly move from one direction to another within each comic,instead of putting it all at once?
Ya... probably... but really this is something the readers need to bring to Andy Schmidt's attention but honestly I think the guy is so full of himself he doesn't think he can possibly screw up anything... hell look how successful Continuum was!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cky_ibm View Post
On a side note...

Was the whole Sunstreaker/Hunter/Headmasters thing ever properly wrapped up?

Cause I sure missed it if it was...

Cheers!
-Ian
It was kinda wrapped up in Maximum Dinobots and All Hail Megatron. Basically in MD Ratchet was able to remove the bond between Hunter but Hunter still had the headmaster implants. In AHM somehow the Decepticons captured Hunter, tortured and extracted information about the Autobots from him, and after being found by Sideswipe hooked up to life support was "let go" and flat lined immediately.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canadian slag, podcast