Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion > Cybertron.ca Podcast - Canadian Slag

Old 10-14-2009, 01:48 AM   #11
GMfan
Robot in Disguise
Re: Canadian Slag Episode 19 - The Art of Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Sorry but thats why I found the whole idea of the Egyptian history subplot incredibly unoriginal.
Well to be fair both are unoriginal as they stem from the whole "Aliens visited ancient civilizations" theories and a little from the "Aliens build the pyramids" theory.

Here's my theory, Orci and Kurtzman seem to know their scientific/theoretical lore. Fringe is a show built off that knowledge and even the first Transformers movie, IE The Men in Black (sector 7), we got all our modern technology by studying aliens. So all they really did was apply another alien myth/theory into this film...

Who knows maybe in TF3 had they stayed on we'd find out that crop circles tell the coming of Unicron?

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:53 AM   #12
Protoman
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
And yeah, the Egyptian god stuff....All stolen from Stargate. Sorry but thats why I found the whole idea of the Egyptian history subplot incredibly unoriginal.
Could be, but the whole idea of Aliens coming to earth and being the reasons behind our culture today has been done WAAY before Stargate.... heck even Macross did it with the Zentradi.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:22 AM   #13
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

A lot of direct similarities though.

Stargate= Advanced alien race enslaving humanity and forcing them to build the pyramids. The pyramids themselves are tied to the alien technology as landing platforms for their space ships.

Human's take to worshipping the aliens as gods, include the aliens images in their wall carvings, so on.

US military shows up, defeats the aliens. End of film...start of weaker series.

TFTM2= Decepticons enslaving humanity, maybe forcing them to build the pyramids to house their technology.

Humans take to worshipping the Decepticons as gods, carving pictures of them into the walls.

Autobots and USA army show up, beat the Decepticons. End of film.

I just would have liked to have seen something that felt a little less like Stargate. While that film certainly borrowed very general speculative theories it also delivered a very similar historical Egyptian plot when put alongside TFTM2, something I hadn't seen done in that way before.

Maybe Orci and Kurtzman didn't mean to directly present them as similar, but thats really how it came across to me..

Proto posted:
Could be, but the whole idea of Aliens coming to earth and being the reasons behind our culture today has been done WAAY before Stargate.... heck even Macross did it with the Zentradi.

I'm sure it has, nothing is truly original in this day and age. But they do have very similar themes even down to both films being summer blockbuster hits

Something a little more inspired, a little more different wouldn't have invoked the images of that exact film in my mind.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #14
Stapler
Nexus Maximus

Nice talk about the unused concept art for the movies.I quite like the design for Hightower because its shape really reminds me of the G1 Sharkticons, flail and all!

Looking for: - Energon Snow Cat's mini-con connecter piece.

- Hasbro MP Rodimus prime junker (need left shoulder/arm).
Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #15
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Except HUGE! :P That isn't a stick in front of him, supposedly it's a human. That crane alone is massive.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:51 PM   #16
Stapler
Nexus Maximus

So wouldn't the ice cream twins combined alt-mode have already been beaten to the punch by the original Dreadwind and Darkwing's Dreadwing mode? Either way I'm hoping that the ice cream twins will inspire some actual duocon figures in the future.

Looking for: - Energon Snow Cat's mini-con connecter piece.

- Hasbro MP Rodimus prime junker (need left shoulder/arm).
Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #17
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stapler View Post
So wouldn't the ice cream twins combined alt-mode have already been beaten to the punch by the original Dreadwind and Darkwing's Dreadwing mode?
I suppose...but they each had their own vehicle mode and the combo mode, which isn't even a whole vehicle, just a smashed together pair of planes :P

So the more appropriate first version of their transformation are those combining micromasters (from 1990) which had individual robot modes but one became the front of one vehicle and the other became the back.

Check out the bottom left corner, 19 year old "technology" FTW, lol

Old 10-14-2009, 04:22 PM   #18
Pascal
Banned

Awesome stuff. My favorites are the Micromasters Combiners and Transports series.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #19
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag

Yeah, Nemesis Prime! I love Nemesis Prime, Scourge, Black Convoy and just black repaints in general. I even did a "Master Class" on this very subject on the old "YouTubes". I remember getting Universe Nemesis Prime at TFCon. I think it was my first one(TFCon and "Nemesis Prime"). I forget what year it was. And then I got Armada Nemesis Prime at last years TFCon, I think. And just recently, I picked up Galaxy Force Soundblaster and black Snarl, or Wolfang, or Silverbolt, or whatever his name is. So yeah, much love for the black repaints. I think I usually end up getting one at every convention.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #20
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

Great episode! I really enjoyed Gizmo, can you guys make him the new host?

G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canadian slag, podcast