Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Old 10-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #21
purple-bot
Yeah, I made that.
Re: Planning for 2012

3 things

1 - MAKE A LIST OF WANTS!!!!!

its hard going to tfcon and only getting certain things, (for me anyway). I want everything. i tend to stay away from G1, other than cassette bots (if decently priced). The hard part is ive been collecting since beast wars (born in '88) so i want almost everything. and its easy in the moment to justify getting something not on your list cause you never thought of it

2 - DONT GO CRAZY AT PARTS PARTY!!!!
Friday night i am always in the mood to spend money. and waiting the extra 12 hours til the saturday dealer room is hard.
Every year i spend way more than i should on things i didn't even plan on buying.
Just ask yourself "do i REALLY want this?"
i bought a bunch of Dark Of The Moon figures, random loose figures, and Beast wars neo Magmatron (great figure, but i should have passed)

then again, there are some exceptions:

While at the parts party i was trying to focus more on selling than buying (though i failed and dropped $300 on friday night alone)
Big thanks do my buddy Andrew (PrimeBein) for finding me a misb beast wars x9 Jaguar (RAVAGE), (Last beast wars show character i needed for a full cast set.)
So glad i grabbed him there, cause i didnt see one in the dealer room

3 - AVOID RETAIL
i am told every year "why would you buy that? it will be at walmart in a few weeks" lol
TFCon is one of the best ways to find almost anything tf related. so i would suggest not buying anything you will be able to grab at a store shortly after the con
Old 10-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #22
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
Sorry, just noticed this thread... If you're from Saint John, may I humbly suggest flying out of Halifax instead of Saint John? Sure, you'd spend a few bucks to drive here, but tickets to TO are a heckuva lot cheaper. I spent about $250-300 round trip this year. (90 one way, 115 back, plus airport fees). Just wait for seat sales. Unless it's going to cost more than $300 round trip from Saint John, it'd save you a few bucks.
Going to moncton where the flights are aprox $155 each person each way. Plus all the fees and airport crap is what got me the $900 number for me and the wife.

Put yeah if I was to drive the 5 hours to halifax I can see where It would save me. SJ sucks for flights.

Oh there is a list Purplebot. A grand list. But yeah the goal is to stay under a 1000. Plus I hope to bring a few carry on suitcases worth of stuff for rearranged trade.

Last edited by Gaetznes; 10-23-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Gaetznes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #23
Mumps
Canadian Slag

Since I hate flying (migraines..) I am thinking of taking the bus to Edmonton and then taking the train to Toronto for this years con.
Could be fun.
Mumps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:24 AM   #24
Nomad
Airachnid's ratservant
Send a message via AIM to Nomad Send a message via MSN to Nomad

I get what you're saying though, as I've always had troubles with planes too, and will only take that route when absolutely necessary. Most of it's had to do with my ears & things associated with it such as losing most of my hearing for 2 days (rather than migraines), but it still slaggin' sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
"they're all gone, vultures everywhere"

Last edited by Nomad; 10-28-2011 at 06:48 AM.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #25
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
Since I hate flying (migraines..) I am thinking of taking the bus to Edmonton and then taking the train to Toronto for this years con.
Could be fun.
I've taken the train to Toronto before, its not too bad though from Edmonton it might take a few days.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #26
Omegatron
Gen 1

Take the train dude! Its something everyone should do at least once. I did it a few years ago the other way (Toronto-Vancouver). Forgive me for sounding a bit like a travel agent (I'm not really), but it really is a good way to see the country and get a real impression of how vast and scenic it is. You also meet some cool people along the way, not unlike at TFCON. I think it takes about three days from Edmonton.
Omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #27
Nullray
IGC

It is great coming out and staying in the hotel. Last year was the first year I did that. I must say, I have attended all the TFCons since back in the day in an old hockey arena which have all been fantastic but nothing compares to just being in the buzz of things. Great people coming together. It just adds a whole new dimension to the experience. Slag was an amazing after party on Sunday. I hope you and your family can make it. You won't be disappointed.
Nullray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:53 AM   #28
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

I actually came across this a few days ago, I've been thinking of attending for the first time. I normally only attend Anime North during the con season, but my sibling has been wanting to travel more, so I suggested it. We'll see.
Knockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #29
purple-bot
Yeah, I made that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockout View Post
I actually came across this a few days ago, I've been thinking of attending for the first time. I normally only attend Anime North during the con season, but my sibling has been wanting to travel more, so I suggested it. We'll see.
you definitely gotta come Knockout! Its only an hour and a half drive from St.Kitts. even if you just drove up for the saturday. Its totally worth it! And you can find almost everything you want, if not everything. If you like Anime North, you'll LOVE TFCON
Old 12-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #30
Cpl. Chrissandwich
Robot Master

Damn, after reading the posts...I want to go to TFCON! But, never been, and probably cant go. Being in the military, I tend to work on the coasts...