Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 08-01-2007, 11:36 AM   #1
Pascal
Banned
TMTM '07 toy review : Leader Brawl

Just got it this morning. I'll review as I play with it...

ROBOT MODE

Pretty big, like the other leader class toys. About the same size as Megatron, but more bulky. Detailing is great all over (although nowhere near as good as that custom we have recently seen on Ebay - there's only so much Hasbro can do for that price!). Gimmick are pretty cool : slide a lever forward on the right forearm to extend the cannons. On the left forearm, slide back the black plate to move the claws forward. Pushing down on the upper chest assembly will trigger lights and sounds (shoulder cannons + main cannon). The shoulder cannons light up green, the main cannon red. You hear a sequence of 3 different sounds (various cannon sounds) with lights flashing. Pretty cool. You can also activate the lights and sounds by pushing on the main cannon (it activates sounds #1, similar to the one found on Armada Megatron). Poseability is pretty good : head, shoulders (full range), upper arms, bicep swivel, elbows, poseable claws (all 3 fingers), hips, knee swivel, knees, feet and toes to some extent. Nice use of click joints too. Lower back leg kibble gets a bit in the way during extreme poses, but I don't think it's that bad. You get him to take very dynamic poses.

TRANSFORMATION

Holy crap, that wasn't easy! It requires a lot of manipulation to get from robot mode to tank mode. Automorph gimmick hides the head as push down the upper chest assembly. Arms cannons end up being stored in the lower legs through hinges and tracks and sides of the tank are spring loaded (as are the 2 cow catchers). The most difficult part was to fit the arms flush against the body to close the sides of the tank. Took a bit of massaging, but I guess it'll become easier after a few transformations. Moving the main cannon into place is also a challenge : you have to hold a spring-loaded panel on the side of the turret while you open a second one and move it over the main cannon while you swing it into place. Hard to explain, you'll see when you get it.

TANK MODE

Pretty much the size of G2 Megatron. Big and heavy! Turrets move independantly, main cannon moves up and down (at last!). You can activate the sounds and lights by pushing on the main cannon or by rotating the upper turret (the left side triggers a different side than the right). The tank rolls on 4 little wheels. If you roll it on a wooden surface, it almost sounds like a tank. There's even another twin cannon located on top of the 2nd turret. Brawl is armed to the teeth! Again, a lot of mechanical detailing all over. Too bad it gets a bit lost in the green. Also, the plastic feels a bit soft. Thick but soft.

Overall, it's an awesome figure and it has everything I'm looking for in a quality Transformer : size, complexity, electronics, gimmicks. DLX Brawl can burn in hell, Leader Brawl is immensely better. Is this the best movie figure? I don't think so, but it's quite close.

Overview of the features :
-lights (green for auxiliairy guns, red for main gun)
-sounds (3 different ones)
-automorph : head/chest, arm cannons, upper turret (minor)
-spring loaded cow catchers
-spring loaded tank tracks (front portion only)
-spring loaded turret panel

Last edited by Pascal; 08-01-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:12 PM   #2
Pascal
Banned
Re: TMTM '07 toy review : Leader Brawl

Also forgot to mention that the plastic parts that appeared to be white in previous photos are actually grey. Also, strangely, the back of the head is made of clear plastic but there is no light-up feature for the eyes, they're painted red.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
tfHunter
Generation 1

Thanks for the review man. Sounds like it might be the third best movie figure out there to me

Did you buy it on ebay or did you buy it locally?
tfHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
Pascal
Banned

Got it from toy-wave.com. It was in stock for a couple hours the other day.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
Pascal
Banned

Old 08-01-2007, 02:08 PM   #6
y2jversion1
Machine War

Great review as always man!

Can't wait to get my hands on it!
y2jversion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:23 PM   #7
Paradigm-Shift Prime
Unit Warrior

Nice review Megatrop,

Sounds good to me, except that I never like sounds n lights.

And WOW does he look and is sized similar to G2 Megs, I had to double-take on that picture to make sure Brawl wasn't a slightly remolded G2 Megs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by megatroptimus View Post

Paradigm-Shift Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:34 PM   #8
xeonshock

How much did you pay for it? I think I might need to replace my Deluxe Brawl soon
xeonshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:35 PM   #9
Pascal
Banned

$50 plus shipping. Had to pay $15 for customs though.

Just found out that there are 2 buttons on the top turret to activate sound #2 and sound #3. So either you push the buttons or you turn the turret left or right. Clever.

Last edited by Pascal; 08-01-2007 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #10
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

Hawt!

I will be glad to pick this up.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote