Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-31-2020, 10:45 AM   #11
Collectingtoys
Kid of the 80's
Re: Winter tires

I've purchased winter tires on my vehicles for the last 19 years, live in Toronto & my business required me to be on the road quite a bit prior to the situation we are all in.

I find that they do make a difference, now that I have children it makes me feel safer to have them on even though I consider myself quite a confident driver.

Now with driving signficantly reduced, I think many of us will save money because the wear & tear on all of the tires we use will be stretched out a few more years. Plus, my auto insurance company gives a 5% discount for putting them on.
Collectingtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:12 AM   #12
evenstaves
you renegade maverick

Lived in Gatineau for 4 years, got a set of winters on their own rims for easy switching
Used to switch them myself when I had a Civic; now w/ GrandAm just get them swapped at the shop (really tough to pry the rear wheels off; allegedly a QA issue but cant say for sure)

Same as others though, usually procrastinate getting them on, and do a week or two with the summers on in the snow
I'd say there's a difference, can't really describe it other than a bit noisier (a heavy tread sound)

All that said, the last time I spun out was on winters anyway, two Januarys ago (should have taken the corner slower, natch)
evenstaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:59 PM   #13
Ozrein
Stunticon

I live in the lower mainland of BC, so snow is a rare occurrence.
I have all weather tires on my wife's vehicle (mostly because we have had BFG ATs on her current vehicle and previous vehicle and the newer version (KO2) are all weather).
I have all season performance tires on my other truck (a "sport" truck).
I'll be looking to install all weather tires on my next vehicle.. once I actually buy my next vehicle.
If I lived anywhere else in Canada, I would most likely have two sets of wheels with one set wrapped in a dedicated snow tire.

A side note: a few years ago I got caught in an unexpected snow "storm" that "dumped" about 1" of snow on the ground (this is near Vancouver, 1" is a "storm"). I had been out with my AWD "sport" truck with summer performance tires and OMG what a nightmare that was. I was sliding all over the place and stopping was the almost impossible unless I was already going pretty slow (like 20kph). Coming down a very slight incline with a light at the bottom, I slowly applied brakes and next thing I knew I was sideways going down the road. Luckily there was no one else on the road around me and with the AWD, the front wheels pulled me straight again with a light application of throttle, the light was also green by the time I got there so that was fortunate. But take this as advise, tires make a HUGE difference in snow or icy conditions.

Last edited by Ozrein; 11-03-2020 at 05:08 PM.
Ozrein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #14
Pascal
Banned

Got my winter tires installed yesterday. Sure enough, streets were slippery AF yesterday morning. They do make a difference here...
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote