Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 03-17-2012, 01:59 AM   #1
Nomad
Airachnid's ratservant
Send a message via AIM to Nomad Send a message via MSN to Nomad
Question Beast Wars pricing in the 90's?

So basically, does anyone remember how much the BW shit used to cost when it was still available at retail, namely their Canadian pricing?

Also, how much did places like Superstore & TRU differ from Wal-Mart & others if we can remember? It's not a big deal or anything, but I've been wondering this for a while now, and since I don't remember anything definitive on my own, I figured I'd ask the peoples here instead of getting lost in the sea of Google that'll probably just give me US & current pricing anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
"they're all gone, vultures everywhere"
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
Protoman
The Legend
Re: Beasr Wars pricing in the 90's?

I still have a lot of my card backs from the Zellers days. Only Deluxe class was effected by inflation during the Beast Wars run from 1996 to 1999. Again these are all Zellers prices

Regular Class - $6.99
Deluxe Class - $12.99 (Jumped to $13.99 during 1998/Transmetal era)
Mega - $19.99
Ultra - $39.99
Combiner 3 packs - $29.99
Microverse sets - $12.99

*EDIT*
Forgot Optimal Optimus had his own size class at $49.99
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman

Last edited by Protoman; 03-17-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:25 AM   #3
purple-bot
Yeah, I made that.

TM2 Megatron and TigerHawk were $40 at walmart, and optimal optimus was $45 at walmart and $50 at TRU
Old 03-17-2012, 04:59 AM   #4
Summit
Banned

www.wishbookweb.com might have some pricing in one of the old catalogues.
Summit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus
Re: Beast Wars pricing in the 90's?

Ultras were 40$???

Are you guys sure about that, I mean seriously, my collection includes every Ultra except for the original Optimus Primal and I can't see how I could have afforded them at 40$ a piece if that were the case.

I seem to recall the prices working out like this...

Basic 5$ with taxes rougly close to 6$
Deluxe 10$ with tax around close to 12$
Mega 15$ with tax it would be about 17$
Ultra 20$ with tax closer to 22$
Optimal Optimus would have been either 30 or 35$ I can't be certain.

I mean seriously, I can't see how the Mega figures would be around 20$, especially since I managed to buy most of them myself with my own money. And I wasn't getting that much back then.

Heck I'm amazed I even managed to afford half of what I did if the Ultras were 40$ a piece, I mean seriously, that size class evolved into the Voyager size class of today and they are only 30$ roughly a ten dollar mark up compared to the old BW Ultras. No way they could have been 40$ and then went DOWN, that's not how inflation works.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
Vain
Spin Drive Smasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
I still have a lot of my card backs from the Zellers days. Only Deluxe class was effected by inflation during the Beast Wars run from 1996 to 1999. Again these are all Zellers prices

Regular Class - $6.99
Deluxe Class - $12.99 (Jumped to $13.99 during 1998/Transmetal era)
Mega - $19.99
Ultra - $39.99
Combiner 3 packs - $29.99
Microverse sets - $12.99

*EDIT*
Forgot Optimal Optimus had his own size class at $49.99
This is a 100% what I remembered them to be.

"They can't beat the Best"

Follow me on Instagram: @Dropdead_Charlie
Game with me on PsN: Dropdead_Charlie

-------------------------------------
Vain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
Nomad
Airachnid's ratservant
Send a message via AIM to Nomad Send a message via MSN to Nomad

Thanks guys, and the same goes to whoever fixed the typo in my title hah.

As far as these numbers themselves go, I remember Depth Charge being about 50 bucks after taxes (so 40 before taxes seems about right), but other than that, I was drawing a complete blank. Like, these prices seem a lot cheaper than what I remember (I've always seen deluxes at around the 20 dollar mark of today(, but I think much of that has to do with how young I was at the time, and how actually having an entire bill in my pocket (even 5 bucks) was a big deal.

... now, this also begs the question of whether or not it was the same across all provinces (I remember certain things being cheaper in Edmonton compare to where I lived in Saskatoon, where as others were more to account for the cheaper tax or whatever), but I think if we take inflation into account, what we're paying now isn't too bad.

Plus, I was looking for a present for my cousin last week, and couldn't believe the retarded pricing for kids toys, especially popular brand things. Compare to what I came across pretty much everywhere (in terms of both pricing, quality & availability), I found the transformers of today to be a much better buy, so I can't wait till he's old enough to play with this stuff on his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
"they're all gone, vultures everywhere"
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #8
justprime
Animated

Zellers was always a couple of bucks or more... than walmart just as today... however they usally got new product in first before wally and being as you can never count on the line showing up any where else or short packs its a reason I will buy there fromt time to time,.. protomans prices are correct,.. checked my records to confirm and they mostly match what the BW were here in Ontario at that time.
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
Protoman
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post
Heck I'm amazed I even managed to afford half of what I did if the Ultras were 40$ a piece, I mean seriously, that size class evolved into the Voyager size class of today and they are only 30$ roughly a ten dollar mark up compared to the old BW Ultras. No way they could have been 40$ and then went DOWN, that's not how inflation works.
I think you have things a little mixed up. 2004 was the last year that the term MEGA was used as a price point and that was during Energon (Toy examples like Jetfire and Ironhide). In mid 2005 when Cybertron made it's debut, MEGAs turned into Voyagers (Example Vector Prime) while the Ultra price point still remained (Example Scourge/Flame Convoy).

Also keep in mind the naming conventions during that Armada to present era changed back and forth and sometimes JUST for a wave. Deluxes were called Deluxes from 1996 to 2001, then Super-Cons till 2004, then "Combat" for Energon's first half, then back to Deluxe in the 2nd half, from Cybertron onward it stayed that....

and that's one micro example.....

I will stop now.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
I think you have things a little mixed up. 2004 was the last year that the term MEGA was used as a price point and that was during Energon (Toy examples like Jetfire and Ironhide). In mid 2005 when Cybertron made it's debut, MEGAs turned into Voyagers (Example Vector Prime) while the Ultra price point still remained (Example Scourge/Flame Convoy).

Also keep in mind the naming conventions during that Armada to present era changed back and forth and sometimes JUST for a wave. Deluxes were called Deluxes from 1996 to 2001, then Super-Cons till 2004, then "Combat" for Energon's first half, then back to Deluxe in the 2nd half, from Cybertron onward it stayed that....

and that's one micro example.....

I will stop now.
See here is where we differ, I don't go by what the size class was called, but how large the figures are comparatively to the modern figures.

The Mega Size-Class of the Beast Era is more akin to our Deluxe scale nowadays than it ever was to the Megas of Energon. Toy Scale Wise, BW Inferno is roughly as large as, say, Armada Demolishor or Cybertron Hot Shot.

They are nowhere near as large as the later Megas that came out in height or bulk.

BW Ultras pretty much can meet eye to eye the Voyagers of this new era.

At least I want to say this, but I could be a bit off, as height in figures have never been consistent even in their own line.

Still, I'm pretty sure I never once spent 40$ on those BW figures in the Ultra scale, either I got them on sale more often than not, or I had a lot more money than I realised with my mediocre High School Cafeteria job.

EDIT: I mean at one point I had, Magnaboss, Tripredacus, Megatron, Depth Charge, Rampage, Tigerhawk, Megatron and a second Magnaboss. Now at 40$ a pop, if that was the going rate for Ultras, I would have spent 320$+ for all eight of those. I hardly think that's how it went down.

Last edited by Scrapper6; 03-17-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Scrapper6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
90s, beast wars, beasties, canadian, pricing