Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2016, 11:35 PM   #1
Slave
Energon
Slave's Ebay Auctions
Unhappy Video Cameras?

Hello there!

I got a problem: throughout years, I've made video reviews... and I always used sucky cameras... every time I bought a new camera thinking "This is the one" it turns out that... nope my video reviews still have a bad quality.

So I want suggestions, but I know NOTHING in cameras... and I want to make video reviews with a nice good video quality.

So far I used a Sony Handycam dont remember the model, I made few reviews with it and sold it off because it sucked video was bad quality, it couldnt focus at all, and the video format was HELL to convert, I then bought a Go pro (older model 1 or 2) and that thing cannot focus at ALL quality was decent, but I couldnt show toy details at all, I then used the video camera of my HTC M8 One phone... it has a bad focus but had one, but bad video quality, plus since its my phone and always in my pocket, the camera now has a scratch and my videos are now blurry

So I want to buy a new camera... but I'm on a budget... tight one...

Anyone here can recommend good decent cameras (I live in montreal, so local stores would help but I can buy online)

-Maybe a camera in the 200$
-Focus WELL because I want to show the toy details
-high resolution for HD would be really nice too.

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2016, 05:27 AM   #2
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag
Re: Video Cameras?

I know reviewers like Peaugh just use their iPhones, so that may be an option if you own one or maybe you can get a used one.

I have an iPhone 6 that I've used to record my nephew's baseball games, and the quality has been pretty good.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:27 AM   #3
ngnaw
Armada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave View Post
Hello there!

I got a problem: throughout years, I've made video reviews... and I always used sucky cameras... every time I bought a new camera thinking "This is the one" it turns out that... nope my video reviews still have a bad quality.

So I want suggestions, but I know NOTHING in cameras... and I want to make video reviews with a nice good video quality.

So far I used a Sony Handycam dont remember the model, I made few reviews with it and sold it off because it sucked video was bad quality, it couldnt focus at all, and the video format was HELL to convert, I then bought a Go pro (older model 1 or 2) and that thing cannot focus at ALL quality was decent, but I couldnt show toy details at all, I then used the video camera of my HTC M8 One phone... it has a bad focus but had one, but bad video quality, plus since its my phone and always in my pocket, the camera now has a scratch and my videos are now blurry

So I want to buy a new camera... but I'm on a budget... tight one...

Anyone here can recommend good decent cameras (I live in montreal, so local stores would help but I can buy online)

-Maybe a camera in the 200$
-Focus WELL because I want to show the toy details
-high resolution for HD would be really nice too.

Thanks!
You probably don't know how to edit your clips. Please research online. All you have to remember is you can't take low resolution to make it high resolution. If you can get anything that will do 720p at 30 and 60 fps minimum you are set. I usually use 1080p at 30 and 60 fps depending on what I'm doing. And I don't mix and match different video sizes in a clip, stick with 1080p or 720p. Also I think the standard now is H.264 codec in an mp4 format. Goodluck! Oh yes lighting must be good too!
ngnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:31 AM   #4
Slave
Energon
Slave's Ebay Auctions

yeah but iphone 6 are quite stupidly expensive

i dunno if past models does as great HD videos as the 6 does...

and fo for Editing clip I'm a pro I've been making professionalmovie edition for years, I made video game trailers for a company for years now... I know how resolution and everything works i know the basic rules of not upscaling obviously not mix matching video resolution in a single video (who the hell does that?) and whatnot... as for the encoding,,, I work with RAW video files Uncompressed so the quality is stellar... but when I make the trailers, I'm provided top notch video quality samples so I dont have to film myself... I only do the montage which is easy. Now I wanna do the filming myself.

Heres the thing, all my latest cameras did minimum 720p and 30FPS... but NONE had focuses... I couldnt bring the toy close to the camera and show the actual details... thats my Main problem

Last edited by Slave; 08-18-2016 at 07:37 AM.
Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #5
Sir Prime A Lot
Energon

I find the biggest thing is the audio. I think Peaugh just uses the microphone on the phone but I like how James Rolfe uses an external microphone with a shield and they're not that expensive.
Sir Prime A Lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:06 AM   #6
elburrito
Animated

Just to make sure, are you using a mount for the camera? Also, lighting is important of course.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #7
jtkv
Robot Master

Sounds like your real issue is close up focusing. This is usually the macro mode of the camera.

All cameras have a minimum focusing distance, and you need to understand that for focus to work properly.

The best way to know what works for you is to try it at the store, and to read reviews that are available online.
For Sale List thread
jtkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:33 AM   #8
Slave
Energon
Slave's Ebay Auctions

Audio I do you an external microphone to record my voice and during montage I merge them video and audio together... so I believe my audio should be ok

My cam is mounted on a good tripod... I dont think this would affect quality, unless I was holding it and moving a lot... lol

Lighting YES this was a big problem at first a lot of my early videos had crappy lighting but I believe since then its gotten much better... still not perfectly lit room with white background and big lighting spots... my current setup surely could use an upgrade but my current setup is satisfactory for me...

Yes Focusing is my real big problem. I did read a lot about the Macros and I used them a lot in my video testing... but it's still never good enough... the focus works only for exampe if the object is like 20-30cm from camera... but if I'm filming a review for example of a legend size figure... i want it to be much closer to the lens and thats where is disastrously blurry.

So this is why I was asking for help with a good camera that has great video quality, HD preferably, with great focussing, 60 FPS would be a great bonus. All of this around 200$
Old 08-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #9
Rodimus Prime1
Ride in Style

$200 pretty tight.

For Video only

Go-Pro
or
Sony Action Cam Mini HDR-AZ1

or upgrade your phone you should be able to do that for $200

and as said above

More Lighting and a tripod are your best freinds, and will drastically improve most cameras, also check your settings. Most new phones are great for vid clips.

Don't know how serious you are but

article for lighting
http://photo.net/learn/lighting/guid...kits/beginner/

Beginner stand and umbrella

http://www.londondrugs.com/opus-delu...ndkits&start=1

Wants: >

Feedback

Collection
Rodimus Prime1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, reviews, video