Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-10-2015, 11:47 AM   #1
Deception
Crossover
strip LEDs lights for my transformers collection

I want to get some strip led lights for my transformer collection. Anyone know which one is good? I need enough for a least 5 detolfs, how much would I need to buy? Anyone have an idea on how long they last?
Deception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:43 PM   #2
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!
Re: strip LEDs lights for my transformers collection

I've been through this recently and it really depends on your preferred lighting look i.e. LED strip type, colour, brightness, bulb configuration, etc

Once you know what you want to achieve, you will then need to consider the following factors

• Power requirements - do you have enough outlets nearby or do you need to buy a regulated power supply and do you need it on a switch?
  • Cost - a custom LED strip light job for 6 Detolfs similar to mine will cost upwards of $200 with the current exchange rate with plenty spare parts in reserve
  • Effort - this is biggest factor IMO. Do you need a quicker solution like the IKEA Dioders or are you willing to do some basic electrical work and wiring for a custom set up. I can tell you that it's a huge pain in the butt doing a custom and requires a lot of patience, but the end result is phenomenal and worth it. The pics don't do it justice.

Here is an old thread that has some info that might help you out.

And here is my set up. Just got two more Detolfs to wire up this past week. Why do I torture myself

MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:42 PM   #3
Chigimus
Masterpiece

For the time being until I can determine a better solution, I've been using this particular version of Ikea's Dioder's:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/50192365/

These are more expensive than their other set here but my problem with the cheaper set is that the temperature of the color is too low for my taste. To give you a better idea of what I mean if you're not familiar with how temperature affects color, here's a simple color chart for reference:

The cheaper Dioder's give off a color somewhere in the 3000K range, which is too brown of a white. I like my shade of white to be purer, closer to the 5000 range, sometimes referred to as "daylight white"

The more expensive Dioder set can emulate daylight white more closely than what the other set can do. There's a hint of blue tinge to what this set can do, but not extremely noticeable unless you had an actual daylight white bulb shining next to it.

My only gripe with the Dioders in general though is that all the wiring you have to set up (especially with multiple cabinets) can look a little cluttered and messy behind the cabinet. That's why I plan on investing in some of the printed backgrounds from Toyhax perhaps or just putting mirror film against the back sides (which also helps to reflect more light back towards the front of the cabinet).

One last feedback about the multi-colored Dioders, sometimes I've seen them go on sale for the same price as the non-multicolored set. $25 to light up each cabinet isn't too bad (if you're content with having one strip of lighting per shelf, that is).
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:02 PM   #4
MULTIPLEX

Thats a great option too, Chigimus, but The IKEA site is stating that set is 2700K warm white. I wonder if they changed this version to warm white like they did with the basic Dioders. I remember they used to be cool white in the past. Did you install those recently?
Old 10-10-2015, 02:13 PM   #5
Chigimus
Masterpiece

Yeah, I got some recently about 2 or 3 weeks ago. The site refers to warm white at 2700K, yes, I see that now. But having played with the color wheel, it "emulates" cool white. It's basically a mix of the red, blue, and green that come together to produce a cool white, not an actual white LED itself. That's why I tried to emphasize that it "emulates" cool white, not that they're actually built with daylight/cool white LEDs.

To the OP, play with a demo in the store (they usually have them strapped to a board in the lighting department) and you'll see what I mean. Strip version is the way to go for sure. They offer Dioder's in a puck style, but those are REALLY dim, and by that, I mean their intensity measured in lumens looks really low, not just that the color temperature is low.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:35 PM   #6
MULTIPLEX

Ah thanks for the explanation. I agree with your point about wire management. It can get messy for any lighting set up. This is the reason I used silver colored lamp wire with a transparent sheathe and added risers to my Detolfs.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:00 PM   #7
Deception
Crossover

Thanks a lot. That link really helped me decide. Cool white it is!
Old 10-10-2015, 09:01 PM   #8
Rev
Addict

I use IKEA strips. The are warm, which I like. I live in a century home, not a loft. You can see in my collection thread.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:16 PM   #9
alternatorfan
g1 baby

The detolf s and Lites seem a tad expensive
For the crowded Ness the detolf s offer
Ie not much room in them! !!
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:33 PM   #10
Deception
Crossover

Are the ones on eBay worth buying and are they easily removed once you stick them on?