Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion > Cybertron.ca Podcast - Canadian Slag

Old 03-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
Decepticon Army
King of the Obscure
Canadian Slag Episode 58 - Our Latest Masterpiece

Canadian Slag returns with a brand new episode! Tune in as the hosts discuss BotCon's ban on all Third Party Products (try saying that three times fast), review the Orion Pax saga on Transformers: Prime, and find out all there is to know about Wheeljack in our latest Getting to know. We then end the episode with our thoughts on the latest Masterpiece figure, as well as the upcoming Asian Market exclusives.

EPISODE 58 - Our Latest Masterpiece
Host: Ian w/ Daniel, Phil, Wendel and Chris
- BotCon's banning Third Party Products
- Episode Review - Orion Pax (Parts I, II, III)
- Getting to Know - Wheeljack
- Discussing MP-12 Lambor & Overview of the Asian Market Exclusives

DOWNLOAD NOW!
(Click the link to play in browser or right click and save if you wish to download outside of iTunes)

WE'RE ON ITUNES! CLICK HERE! RATE AND REVIEW!
Old 03-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower
Thumbs up Re: Canadian Slag Episode 58 - Our Latest Masterpiece

Awww man, TeleToon hasn't aired the Orion Pax episodes yet. Now I'm going to have to wait to listen to this ep.

*sigh*

At least the podcast is back to its old "every 2 weeks" schedule *thumbs up*

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
TMIIWonkoNemises
Animated
Send a message via Skype™ to TMIIWonkoNemises
Re: Canadian Slag Episode 58 - Our Latest Masterpiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex79 View Post
Awww man, TeleToon hasn't aired the Orion Pax episodes yet. Now I'm going to have to wait to listen to this ep.
Be patient.They'll come quite shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot View Post
My anus is certainly not a secret toys garden, and I'm deeply offended by the insinuation!
TMIIWonkoNemises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Oh man...this episode...

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
TMIIWonkoNemises
Animated
Send a message via Skype™ to TMIIWonkoNemises

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan View Post
Oh man...this episode...
Was this the one where you fell asleep in?It could explain the breathing I keep hearing in the background.

Anyway,love the BotCon talk.It's true that there's going to be a lot of 'Third Party Speakeasies' (As I like to call them) in the hotels,outside the Dealer's Room,etc.If Hasbro wants to lead collectors into buying more of their products,yet wants to contain the Third Party guys,I don't understand why wouldn't Hasbro want to invest on the Third Party and make smaller branches that cater to collectors,and at the same time,do their regular business?I know that's idealistic(And unrealistic?),but instead of 'beating them',why not Hasbro 'join them'?I think buying out of the Third Party guys will be easier than giving the 'Prohibition' stamp on the tables.Either way,I hope this is all hot air and that nothing has changed.

Third Party on Third Party on Third Party?Third-ception?

It's true that the 'amnesia' plotline has been used in everything (Even Shining Time Station!Thanks for reminding me of that Episode),it was a very tired concept,even in Transformers (Ironically,that's standard in Spanish novellas).

I think the real problem here is that Optimus has been used so much that there are a lot of 'expectations' on 'what makes this Optimus a Prime'.Even when looking at Beast Wars,where we have a Primal,he was still under the expectations of what makes a 'Prime',same with Animated Optimus.When the writers have to think about how to write his lines,I think they are aiming more towards the film versions of Prime,considering that his lines,though little,are often lines that can be quoted or paraphrased.This has become the new ideal 'Prime Template' (As I'm calling it),and it may have affected the writers to create something that is too similar rather than something different.I believe that to keep Prime 'related to the film version' due to the new generation remembering him as such (Contrast to Primal and Animated Optimus) is why they hired Peter Cullen in the first place.In my personal view,this choice not only causes some difficulty for me in trying to place the voice to the animation model (As this version of Optimus seems too young-looking to be voiced by Cullen),this attempt to have 'an expectation of what makes a Prime' is really causing a backlash to 'How do we make this Optimus not a Prime'.

I'm very sorry Ian,but I have to disagree with you on the 'kid's show' excuse,which I tirelessly hear from adults every single time.Just because it's a 'kid's show' does not exempt kids from what they want/expect in their shows.I recall in Beast Wars when Primal died,I really wanted to know how the Maximals can handle without him,and actually expected for something new.When Primal came back,I felt a bit cheated at first that things were going back to 'normal',except the view of normality has changed dramatically,making it greater than any Transformers series ever dreamed of.If Prime would have gained some of his memories back while gaining more during the rest of the Season,that could have worked perfectly...very much like Transmetal II Dinobot.Though not like the original,he had a transition towards being the same Maximal/Predacon at the very end.I think you're really underestimating the children here.Like us,they want something different in their cartoons.This may not be their first full-length animated series,nor their first Transformers.A 'kid's show' excuse,does not excuse writers to write bad endings either.If that's the case,they're not taking their job seriously as writers.

Daniel,if it is because of Standards & Practices,along with Hasbro's expectations of what they want in Prime,then this is a problem.I also believe that another problem is that the Production team aren't interacting with the Fans to know what they want in a show,compared to DiTillo and Forward when they were members of a.t.t.,where they met the likes of Ben Yee and others to create something grander in Beast Wars.If you contrast it to Beast Machines,where Skir and Isenberg were under the demands of Fox to not look at any Beast Wars material and interact with the Fans,caused a lot of unwanted expectations for the show to be reviled at the time,but,never excused themselves for making a brilliant masterpiece in Transformers history.I don't know how much control Hasbro has over the writers,but they,as writers,should create something phenomenal.It still doesn't excuse them from making a mediocre ending.

Ian,I think you're contradicting yourself here.If the demographic you predicted in Prime are for '5-7' to 'keep things simpler',while kids of this generation are 'playing Mass Effect',then how does this excuse the writers to make bad Episodes?It shows that they are expected to write better ones since the mentality of a child now is more advanced than when we were kids (When the most complex storylines were in Final Fantasy VII for example).Based on the demographics I found for Prime (Since the 'Darkness Rising' Episodes),the highest numbers that Hub collected (Excluding the men) were boys ages 6-11,where,at this age are probably playing Call of Duty,Mortal Kombat,or Mass Effect on PS3s from their older siblings,cousins,friends,etc.Each of these have storylines,though aimed for adults,a child will be exposed to.Why can it not be the same for Prime,when they compete with other shows such as 'Clone Wars'?They have a similar Fandom as we do who cater to the Fans while keeping the kids entertained with rich storylines (Although with Clone Wars,some do end up mediocre).It shouldn't be made 'to keep it simple'.I think there's a barrier that has been laid to the writers on trying to not keep it 'too kiddy' and not making it 'too adult' like Clone Wars is trying to do.Because of this brick wall,it's becoming a normative where bad writing can be excused based on the mostly fantastical idea of what a 'kid' is supposed to be.If 'keeping things simpler' is to keep the kids away from the complexities of video games,then it's admitting that Prime has to be toned down rather than being up par to compete with other media that kids may find more attractive,and in my life observing my younger cousins,they appeal more to the complexities that adults enjoy.

The real problem here is that kid's really aren't that stupid than we make them out to be (As someone who clearly remembers her childhood).They are thrust into being more mature,but it doesn't mean we (And media as well) can educate them while being forced there.My earliest cartoons were from MTV and HBO,before moving to YTV and TeleToon,where I was thrust to maturity,while the others taught me about that thrust in steps,at the same time being taught morality from my parents,teachers,and priests.It's up to parents to educate them what they watch and play to become better people.The problem is that media is educating the new generation that stupidity is rewarded,rather than shunned like us when growing up.It doesn't mean that kids are stupid,it's that stupidity is a way for social acceptance,which I observed is becoming apparent in our lives (Though disagree with me here).Cartoons are also accepting this,and it's becoming a problem.I know some are for humour purposes,but they also provide a social commentary for the current culture we're facing.This is where I think that parenting has gotten to the point of shielding kids (As observed with my second cousins) from anything that praises stupidity,where complaints from parents over shows is appearing more and more.If you shield a kid rather than educating them on what is being viewed to them and not forcing the 'moral right' to them,then they can grow up to becoming functional and intelligent enough for stupidity to be ashamed in future media.We,have the ability to change,it starts with our future/current kids in our lives.

So there won't be a Masterpiece Quintessons? :P

So for every time Daniel mentions a character,it appears as a toy....great power,Protoman.

Ah!There it is!Chris slept in this Podcast...and I was wondering why he was so quiet when you guys were talking about the Asian repaints...and you guys still keep going!LMAO!!I can't stop laughing!

The most entertaining Episode yet.Nicely done.

(That ending!BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot View Post
My anus is certainly not a secret toys garden, and I'm deeply offended by the insinuation!

Last edited by TMIIWonkoNemises; 03-23-2012 at 07:31 PM.
TMIIWonkoNemises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Malwave Send a message via Skype™ to Malwave

Did.....Did Daniel just reference Shining Time Station?

I.....whu......does not compute.
Malwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag

Good to hear BotCon/FunPub/Hasbro can't touch anything sold in hotel rooms at BotCon. Because I planning on bringing a bunch of those Headmasters set to sell there. Wouldn't want them confiscated.

I think you guys might have been a little harsh on Transformers Prime. Though you did have point in saying that the end of these multi-part episodes, nothing much has happened, especially when compared to Beast Wars.

Although I think it's more of a changing in writing styles from when we were kids and today. Today kids have a lot more distractions than we did at their age. Not just video games, because we had video games too, but we'd always make use to keep an eye on the time and pause/save the game, so we don't miss the newest episode of Dragonball Z, or Reboot, or Digimon, or Justice League, or whatever. But kids also have the internet. So they're on YouTube. They're on Skype. Their IMing. They even got cell phones, the little bastards. The list going on and on. Asking a kid to sit down every Saturday at 8:30 and watch Transformers Prime week after week after week, that's nearly impossible today. So I think maybe they've toned down the continuity from episode to episode a bit just so that incase you miss an episode, you're not lost altogether. Where as if say you missed an episode of Beast Wars, you could be totally lost. So they still have threads of continuity in there for the dedicated fans. Just like how they have easter eggs for the hardcore fans. (BANTOR! Mother F******** Bantor, the mandrill/tiger Fuzor!)

As much as we'd love them to shake things up for a while, they have to leave things more or less the same for the sake of the kiddies. The one who watch regularly or ones just catching it for the first time. If they had left Optimus as a Decepticon all season, we would have had another G1 season 3 on our hands. No Optimus Prime. And no Optimus = no kids = no audience = no ratings and no toy sales.

And looking back at this last 2 parter, there's a lot of threads that will carry over to future episodes. The Hammer of Solus Prime. Machination being 1 step closer to builder their army of Sunstreaker clones...er, I mean MECH building their army of Robotech Fighters. Yeah, that's it.

I'm really digging some of those Asian market exclusive repaints. Namely:
Hot Spot-Although I'd prefer they use the Grapple mold with the ladder rather than Inferno with the little water. But who knows, maybe TFC will rerelease their Gear of War set if that happens)
Powerdive-Only if he bares a passing resemblance to Obsidian from Beast Machines. Which if I recall from BotCon, that's what his alternate head struck me as and with Micromaster Powerdives color scheme it could work
Megatron-This one actually works for me. Kind of a mix of G2(color scheme), Armada(cannon on his back), and Alternity(swords and overall samurai motif).
Springer-Really interested to see what he'll look like I really like the Tomahawk mold and almost bought that Vortex repaint.
Swerve-I think this really works the best out of all of these. And I think the alternate head is perfect for him. Almost like that's what it was meant to be used for. Hopefully he sees a domestic release.

Other than that, not much to say about the episode other than....zzz....zzzzzz....ZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Last edited by UltraPrimal; 03-23-2012 at 10:15 PM.
UltraPrimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraPrimal View Post
Although I think it's more of a changing in writing styles from when we were kids and today. Today kids have a lot more distractions than we did at their age. Not just video games, because we had video games too, but we'd always make use to keep an eye on the time and pause/save the game, so we don't miss the newest episode of Dragonball Z, or Reboot, or Digimon, or Justice League, or whatever. But kids also have the internet. So they're on YouTube. They're on Skype. Their IMing. They even got cell phones, the little bastards. The list going on and on. Asking a kid to sit down every Saturday at 8:30 and watch Transformers Prime week after week after week, that's nearly impossible today. So I think maybe they've toned down the continuity from episode to episode a bit just so that incase you miss an episode, you're not lost altogether. Where as if say you missed an episode of Beast Wars, you could be totally lost. So they still have threads of continuity in there for the dedicated fans. Just like how they have easter eggs for the hardcore fans. (BANTOR! Mother F******** Bantor, the mandrill/tiger Fuzor!)

As much as we'd love them to shake things up for a while, they have to leave things more or less the same for the sake of the kiddies. The one who watch regularly or ones just catching it for the first time. If they had left Optimus as a Decepticon all season, we would have had another G1 season 3 on our hands. No Optimus Prime. And no Optimus = no kids = no audience = no ratings and no toy sales.
Pretty much sums up how I feel.

I really doubt we're ever going to get a show that will have 'Beast Wars' level writing ever again. That was just a perfect storm of various factors that ended in probably the best transformers Media (as far as writing, overall story and voice acting) we've seen and probably ever going to see.

And yes TMIIWonkoNemesis Prime is a show who's main target audience is Children and the writing is going to suffer because of that. Now I'll say that the writing is far superior in shows geared for children nowadays then in was back when I was growing up (the G1 days), but the writing and story lines will be "simplified" to cater to their target audience.

I was taking a shot in the dark with the "5-7" demographic but regardless of that any show that panders to children under the age of 12 will have to be simplified to appeal to the widest audience possible - and yes the writing will suffer because of this.

Trust me, there's probably some kid eating glue somewhere that just wants to see Optimus fight Megatron and could give two craps about the overall story. And Hasbro and the showrunners are aware of this.

I'm not saying either case is the rule or the exception - but they are trying to cater to the broadest audience possible.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #9
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex79 View Post

*sigh*

At least the podcast is back to its old "every 2 weeks" schedule *thumbs up*
Or you could just skip the Orion Pax parts.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:14 PM   #10
Stapler
Nexus Maximus

Am I the only one hyped for the Wheelie RTS Jazz repaint? He's friggin' Wheelimus Prime! Just imagine that he got the matrix and this is the result. I would love to see a Protector-styled trailer upgrade for him.

And I'm all over the Swerve since he have a special place place in my heart for being the very first TF toy I ever had. And it's great to finally see him back as a truck. I'm also interested in the Powerdive for the same reasons.

And I really hope the legends make it here too. I have been a big legends fans since the Classics line. So what are the chances that all these exclusives might show up in North America?

Great episode, guys. This was a very fun one thanks to Chris. XD

Looking for: - Energon Snow Cat's mini-con connecter piece.

- Hasbro MP Rodimus prime junker (need left shoulder/arm).

Last edited by Stapler; 03-23-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote