Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-08-2008, 09:48 AM   #31
Aernaroth
Metroplex
Re: Hasbro scared of chrome parts???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rage View Post
Aernaroth can give us a detailed reason at why chrome fails.
Do... Do you really want me to? I mean, the majority of it has already been covered... There's a cost issue (its more expensive than regular paint as its a different compound), and in a lot of cases, it doesn't really stick well to plastic (it doesn't adhere to most surfaces as well as paint), and if the plastic gets bent, the chrome can crack, chip, or flake off (due to the fact that the metallics and plastic have different mechanical properties)... and the fact that chrome has to be applied after the plastic is cast, making it like another separate paint app (again, going back to the cost issue), and I'm sure the chroming solution/paint/whatever behaves differently during manufacturing compared to paint, which must be another pain in the ass.

Also, it can end up looking tacky. Some of the henkei stuff is nice and classy, like rodimus, but not every metal surface needs to be chrome.

So yeah, it can work in some cases, and it looks terrible in others. In terms of the classics line, I don't necessarily think its required, but some of the henkei stuff turned out looking quite nice (although some of the henkei without chrome, such as skywarp, look nice as well, just due to colour choice) .I'd actually be more interested in hastak developing different shades of metallic paint, so they could get a whole bunch of "metal" surfaces besides chrome.

Is that enough?
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:53 AM   #32
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aernaroth View Post
Is that enough?
NO! Only because Henkei Skywarp does have chrome....just on his missle launchers :P

Good explaination though, you win cookie

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:40 AM   #33
-KG-
Kranix

I like chrome, but I can live without it. My problem is Hasbro's paint choices over chrome. If you look at the grills of Hasbro classics Prime and Magnus, they used a nice shiny silvery grey instead of chrome, that looks great. But then you look at most of the movie Primes and DVD MP Prime and they used this horrible dark grey. Why? Clearly the classics look better, so why go with the dark grey?

-KG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:18 PM   #34
Aernaroth
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan101 View Post
NO! Only because Henkei Skywarp does have chrome....just on his missle launchers :P
Yeah, but I can always remove those. :P
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:01 PM   #35
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

To chrome or not to chrome. Personally, I don't much care that there are figures lacking chrome. In most cases I'd rather they don't have chrome. It can scratch, flake, scuff, tarnish, etc. Plus you have to take into account that the chroming process will add cost to the figures. And I need my figures to be more affordable. I'm in favor of chroming smaller details rather than huge pieces. Usually huge sheets of chrome just make the figure look cheaper instead of more expensive. Especially if its in a place that doesn't make sense. On regular run-of-the-mill figures, I say no chrome. But on stuff that is "premium" or collector grade sort of figures, by all means chrome it. Just don't go overboard, and make sure it makes sense.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote