Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #1
mcmus
Animated
Canadian TRU finds a buyer

according to this Toronto Star article.

https://www.thestar.com/business/201...-holdings.html
Old 04-20-2018, 04:06 PM   #2
Collectingtoys
Kid of the 80's
Re: Canadian TRU finds a buyer

Yes, pulled from Bloomberg and updated this morning. Fairfax Financial, same firm that rescued BlackBerry a few years ago, that investment so far has paid off I believe based on current share prices even though BlackBerry today looks nothing like it did during it’s glory days.

Hoping Prem Watsa, the deal maker behind Fairfax leaves Toys R Us Canada running as is especially with the many 25% to 30% off Transformers sales that come every couple of months. Just as important, don’t want to see anyone lose their jobs.
Collectingtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:35 PM   #3
Softimus Prime
Beast Machine

This is absolutely great news!!
Softimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:02 AM   #4
MilanX3
Nexus Maximus

Yes, it will be interesting to see how they develop TRU, or even keep the name TRU...Since they run making decent profits not much may change except for some serious investment in their online store that does need alot of improvement. They may even do better as many in the US and UK could purchase from TRU online due to brand loyalty depending on how border tariffs and costs to Canada Post develop over the next while. With the reduced purchase in bulk however from TRU USA, it could be that the prices we have been getting may not last as it will cost more to buy and produce a smaller amount of items for sale in the Cdn market. It essentially becomes a Canadian company, good for Canada, but also becomes a Canadian company, Timmy's, Blackberry and others lose money, many others have disappeared. Interesting times...
MilanX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:45 PM   #5
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

TRU was an inherently profitable company that was felled by unsustainable debtload (in the US at least).

The Canadian stores should be successful without having to service all that past debt (and in fact their free cash flow reserve cited in the article are perhaps good evidence of that).

They might even start expanding again down the line.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #6
zhaobinis1
Beasty

I am always a bigger fan of TRU over Walmart. In terms of buying TF, Walmart is only good if you are a hunter that is always looking for the newest toys. TRU, although always have new stock later than other retailers, have much more frequent sales and their return policy is much better.
zhaobinis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:39 PM   #7
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

I hope this means we'll continue to get good deals and also exclusives, in fact, I hope to hell this means that Hasbro Canada will shop TRU Canada more frequently on the exclusive front so things like Grotusque and Arcee from TR don't slip away from us and become relegated to US only exclusives.

We're just as much interested in those products as the ruddy Americans.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:53 PM   #8
Chigimus
Masterpiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhaobinis1 View Post
I am always a bigger fan of TRU over Walmart. In terms of buying TF, Walmart is only good if you are a hunter that is always looking for the newest toys. TRU, although always have new stock later than other retailers, have much more frequent sales and their return policy is much better.
You're half right. Yes, TRU gets new product later than Walmart does, but TRU's return policy is not much better. TRU has a better price matching policy because they'll take coupons and match percentage discounts where Walmart doesn't.

However, TRU's return policy is only 45 days whereas you get 90 days with Walmart.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:04 PM   #9
zhaobinis1
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigimus View Post
You're half right. Yes, TRU gets new product later than Walmart does, but TRU's return policy is not much better. TRU has a better price matching policy because they'll take coupons and match percentage discounts where Walmart doesn't.

However, TRU's return policy is only 45 days whereas you get 90 days with Walmart.
Guess I am thinking more about return defected items. I have no issue exchange/return a figure when I opened it and found some missing parts/loose joints/misprint, you know, things that happen to TFs. I am not sure if Walmart would do that. I only returned once to Walmart. It was not even opened, yet the customer service examined the item almost like under a microscope.
zhaobinis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:41 PM   #10
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhaobinis1 View Post
Guess I am thinking more about return defected items. I have no issue exchange/return a figure when I opened it and found some missing parts/loose joints/misprint, you know, things that happen to TFs. I am not sure if Walmart would do that. I only returned once to Walmart. It was not even opened, yet the customer service examined the item almost like under a microscope.
Walmart has 0 issues with returns, especially if something is defective. Their 3 month policy is great!
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote