Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #11
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2
Re: Do shipping cost facture in on buying a bot?

It's all about the total cost, don't care what the auction price or shipping is. And i use ebay as a last resort if i can get it at tfsource or some other online retailer. If I'm buying locally, sometimes I compare the prices with online prices and vice versa.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:47 PM   #12
justprime
Animated

Yeh it certainly does play a part, but that said the rant is Its that feeling of being raped when you get the package,.. paid 20.00 for shipping and see postage was like 5.00 doesn't install any sort of trust I don't by that excuse of handling /package fee b/s when I sell the box/package bubble wrap etc is part of the deal no extra charge here as I re-use the stuff from my other purchases buyers get actual postage cost (boxed up taken to post office prices determined.... exact cost) I understand a business is some what different here as they buy there packaging due to large volume this is directed more at online private sales as for e- bay fees well if your going to play you pay I think its unethical to list for a .01 with 200.00 shipping if your going to list it(there some nightmare stories here) and you want a set price use buy it now or put a reserve,.. play fair or go to another site is my opinion,.. I will say I like the sellers that have a flat rate and /or give you a choise of shipping ems,air, etc.. know where you stand right off the get go no surprises.
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:59 PM   #13
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by justprime View Post
Iif your going to play you pay I think its unethical to list for a .01 with 200.00 shipping if your going to list it(there some nightmare stories here) and you want a set price use buy it now or put a reserve
Reminds me of this Buy it now auction where no one was buying and awhile later the seller lowered the price and said something like "New low price! Don't let this opportunity pass you by!" and what the seller actually did was put the difference into the shipping. Sleazy.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:40 PM   #14
Nomad
Airachnid's ratservant
Send a message via AIM to Nomad Send a message via MSN to Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by razin View Post
Basically if they don't ship USPS First class (from the US) then I don't bother. Priority almost always makes shipping at least $20 more. I just wish we had the same postal rates here as they do in the US. Majority of my single TF purchases are $3-7 from the US, whereas in Canada they start around $12 and take up to 2 weeks in our own damn country.
Yep, and this is why many of us will sooner buy from people outside of Canada rather than within it, and to me that seems like a national problem.

Then when it comes to combining shipping, this isn't always easy because the chances of finding one person with 2 or more things that you want can be hard enough, let alone with those things at the lowest prices. Haggling & whatnot is always an option, but there's no point trying to get something that you don't care about a little cheaper for the sake of lying to yourself about getting raped a little less hard on what you're actually after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
"they're all gone, vultures everywhere"
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:14 PM   #15
flexativity
Generation 2
flexativity's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMarknus View Post
I just look at total cost with shipping. Sometimes, overseas sellers may charge double or triple the shipping a North American seller does but it still ends up significantly cheaper overall.
I agree... I only look at total price. Who cares what the "shipping" is... if I can get it cheaper in total then I'm going with that seller.
flexativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #16
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
I recently asked a seller for shipping cost for an item and got quoted $20 then after I win the auction it all of a sudden changes to $25. WTF.
Well wouldn't you know irony decided to give me a kick in the ass today. As soon as I got home. This package is waiting for me. The shipping cost was as they stated.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:04 PM   #17
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

I understand that shipping by region or by country, the pricing can be drastically differt in regards to it destination. I also appreciate that there are ppl out there that over charge on shipping.

What ive learned as an ebayer Buyer and seller, is that buyers associate the value of the purchased item with the cost of shipping. A person buying a crappy SOC generations toy from BC to NS for $5 Does not want to pay 12 for Expidited shipping. However, same destination, but it a Kup, the buyer is happy to pay the 12 for shipping.

Or

As it was explained to me as a kid, a cubed pound of lead, copper, and titanium take up relativly the same space. Hence, weight and the dimensions dictate the cost, not the contents.

More often then not, personal bias is reflected on what a proper fee for shipping an item is. Vs the actual fiscal cost associate with the transportation of good across a counrty that does not have a subsided Postal service.

Its like someone else said, it can be cheaper to buy from tfsource vs loc
Old 08-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #18
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

From my perspective as a buyer, it's always cost + shipping that I consider because as others mentioned, that's your total cost to buy the toy. Ignoring shipping completely could result in me buying a $20 figure from indonesia rather than a $22 figure from Oshawa. With the costs of shipping the better deal is probably the figure in Oshawa.

That said, as a seller I know we don't get to "keep" shipping, to us it's just a disbursement we're passing along to the buyer most of the time. But it can definitely eat into your sale price because when shipping costs are high, most bidders will lower their offers to compensate.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:01 PM   #19
Protoman
The Legend

Of course! What you pay is what you pay.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:45 PM   #20
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

It is one of many factors I consider when buying anything online.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote