Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-22-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
Dark Rage
白人看不懂
What's up with the unstable prices of some Transformers?

Hey, just been observing the prices for some of the TF's I've been looking for, and notices how fast they increase or decrease, very odd.

Example:
TFC Insecticons - What gives? Is it because they're 3 bots in a box set?
TFC Mini-bots - I'm guessing the same quantity over quality issue.
BT Skids - Nothing really special about this Binaltech, at least not visually
BTA Broadblast - I could barely find this one of the BTA's anywhere for a few months or so (And when I did find him on ebay, it was on a horribly inflated price)

I saw TFC Jazz being sold for like $50-60 on some ebay auctions and Action-HQ (Although I know their prices are horribly inflated), but then I've been recently able to get one at a price even cheaper than what it originally cost. I"m guessing the Encore reissue could be a factor in that case.

I'm sure the typical economical theories of supply and demand apply here, but on some TF items, I'm totally lost on their sudden spike in rarity.
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
soundwaveCA
Retired TF Fan
Re: What's up with the unstable prices of some Transformers?

I know what you mean on this one, I've been on the hunt for the TFC Insecticons for a wile now and its just to pricey. Started looking early in the year and was amazed how much they had jumped. Instead I just picked up the originals loose for like $30 for the set. I plan to do the same with the minibots, I have most of them already which I bought back in the day for like $5 each, why one would pay $100+ for the TFC set is beyond me.

The other one I would add to this list is TFC Blitzwing. At Botcon he was going for $100-ish at most tables and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Even Astrotrain now commands pretty high prices which I find odd as well.

I still raise my eyebrows on how much people will pay for BT Skids and BTA Broadblast. I never thought the mold was that great but I guess a lot of people really like him *shrugs* But I know with BT Skids he was really the last mainline BT so I figure that has something to do with his price tag. That and the BT is no question much more beautiful then the Alt version.

My running theory on a lot of these toys is that they are ones that were passed up on by a lot of people when they were widely available thinking they could go back anytime and pick them up later and perhaps cheaper. Then you fast forward and now you have a lot of people finally going back realizing the supplies all dried up and there not around much anymore.

Last edited by soundwaveCA; 10-22-2007 at 08:53 PM.
soundwaveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:51 AM   #3
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Never mind how much Buckethead is going for these days

Transformers are bigger than ever and secondary market prices are sure to reflect that. I gotta find a Buckethead before its too late.
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:32 AM   #4
darthrage
Beast Machine

the prices sometimes follow the trends that some other sellers set on their own.

For example, one seller on eBay will sell a particular item for $40, even though they bought it retail for $20 and then another seller will follow and then sell it for that same price and then another will follow.

After that, buyers go in a buying frenzy thinking that it went rare all of a sudden so they should pick it up before it goes up any higher, which it does because the buyers bid it up, also known as panic buying.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:26 AM   #5
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban-samurai View Post
the prices sometimes follow the trends that some other sellers set on their own.

For example, one seller on eBay will sell a particular item for $40, even though they bought it retail for $20 and then another seller will follow and then sell it for that same price and then another will follow.

After that, buyers go in a buying frenzy thinking that it went rare all of a sudden so they should pick it up before it goes up any higher, which it does because the buyers bid it up, also known as panic buying.
So should we expect this panic buying to ever go away?
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:45 AM   #6
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

That Panic buying happened with the G1 movie jazz at first. All the ebayers had him for $50+ dollars. Fast forward to a month later and they cant even get $15 plus shipping.
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:07 AM   #7
Tech Spec
Canadian Slag

Someone told me the TFC Minibots set was so expensive b/c of the remolded head on Bumblebee. As for the other ones you mentioned I dunno why the prices are soooo inflated.
Tech Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:03 PM   #8
-KG-
Kranix

I've wanted TFC insecticons for a long time. A lot of time I see it for $150! I have the e-hobby exclusive, which is just a repaint and includes the energon cubes, and I got it for around $50. I don't get it, cause I could get the originals mint for less than $150...

-KG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:09 AM   #9
Autovolt 127
Animated

Look at the price for certain Figures like Cybertron Galvatron $200! and know Megatron going for $100 What the hell is wrong with Evilbay,They shouldn't have to pay that look at 08 BB Damn Scalpers took the dreamns of little kids away,Evilbay and Scalpers are too blame.
Add me on Discord: Autovolt#7759
Autovolt 127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:34 AM   #10
Tech Spec
Canadian Slag

Dun forget Cybertron Leobreaker man... I made some extra X-mas dough selling multiples of that toy last year. I'll admit that was the only time I scalped on Ebay LOL Made a pretty penny though, the first one I sold was at about $145 not including shipping.
Tech Spec is offline   Reply With Quote