Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 12-11-2009, 12:58 AM   #11
joshimus
Metroplex
Re: ROTF Voyager Long Haul Work In Progress.

I use a dremel to cut the plastic. For me with mods, a dremel is my most used tool. Cutting the plastic from the parts is fairly simple to do. It's hard to explain but all I did was basically consider the outer part the rotater while the part attached to the body where the screw goes to be what holds the rotater in place.
The pins are recycled from past figures and such. For example, where the ball-joint for the wrist is I also used a long pin an part of Rampages hip joint (modded) to fit inside the arm to hold it all in place. Spare parts are always good to have around.
I honestly have NO IDEA why Hasbro didn't do the back section properly to begin with. The hands and head are forgivable, but the back section is a "WTF were they thinking?" deal. It would have been easy for them to do it properly.

Last edited by joshimus; 12-11-2009 at 01:00 AM.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:21 PM   #12
jackalprime
Y U NO MAKE NEW BEASTWARS
jackalprime's Ebay Auctions

im thinking of doing this. I just have one question. how much are these "dremels" eveyone has been talking about? and where can you get one, (Canadian Tire?) i have done customs for about a year now, but havent really ventured into mould modifications, sans my jolt head articulation mod. For that i just used a small hobby knife.

"for everything there ever was"

jackalprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #13
venksta
Render Project Creations

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalprime View Post
im thinking of doing this. I just have one question. how much are these "dremels" eveyone has been talking about? and where can you get one, (Canadian Tire?) i have done customs for about a year now, but havent really ventured into mould modifications, sans my jolt head articulation mod. For that i just used a small hobby knife.
You can get Dremels at Canadian Tire, Home Depot, and any other place selling hardware tools. Dremels come with different bits. The one I got came with several types. But you can buy more bits depending on what you need to do.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #14
jackalprime
Y U NO MAKE NEW BEASTWARS
jackalprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by venksta View Post
You can get Dremels at Canadian Tire, Home Depot, and any other place selling hardware tools. Dremels come with different bits. The one I got came with several types. But you can buy more bits depending on what you need to do.
i just want a basic set, and by that I mean the drill thingy and a few bits to do work like this.

"for everything there ever was"

jackalprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #15
joshimus
Metroplex

Dremel has the Stylus out. It's about 100.00 but it's battery operated. I plan on getting one soon. My corded one is fairly old and I like the idea of not having to worry about the cord getting in my way. Plus the design is more suited for crafting imo.
There is a store in Hamilton called Tegs Tools. I usually get my stuff their. Home Depot and Canadian Tire are like Wal-mart, you can't find anyone to actually help you. Kinda why I prefer small businesses over box stores. They at least want to help you whereas box stores don't give 2 shits.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:48 PM   #16
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalprime View Post
i just want a basic set, and by that I mean the drill thingy and a few bits to do work like this.
You can get a jobmate "rotary tool" same deal as a dremel, at Canadian Tire, for much cheaper than a real dremel. I think mine was like $10 on sale.

I read the reviews and people complained about the quality when they were cutting tiles and stuff, but I figure, this is plastic, it's not exactly a substantial load.

I've only used it once so far, but it seemed to work well enough.

I know, real dremel owners will probably disagree and say I have an inferior crappy product, maybe so...but it does the job.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #17
joshimus
Metroplex

You have an inferior crappy product
All i'll say, you get what you pay for. I hope you don't regret your jobmate, but someone like me, no chance in hell i'll go the cheap route.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #18
joshimus
Metroplex

New Long Haul Update:
Did more painting though I still need to do a few things for his vehicle mode. For example the ladders at the front of the cab should be green not black. Mostly that area needs to be done.
Pretty happy with him.

Also working on making a movie Scavenger from Demolisher. He's has his first coat at the moment, bit rough looking I know. Very much still a WIP at this stage.
Also gotta take measurments, gonna add as much decal work as I can, like he has in the movie for Devestator.
The only real thing I wanted to do was a balljoint head but I need to give props to the person who first thought of using SW's feet as fingers for Demolisher. I did use their idea so I am just giving credit where credit is due.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:28 AM   #19
Icetron

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshimus View Post
*snip*
@Long Haul: I love it, he's so much more posable. great work on that.

@Mix Master & Scavenger/Demolisher: Anymore pics man? And what was that about SW's (Soundwave?) feet for fingers? Would love to see more pics of them either way.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:29 AM   #20
tkim87
Generation 1

dude, the long haul looks absolutely awwesome.
great job!
tkim87 is offline   Reply With Quote