Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-26-2017, 05:54 PM   #11
GotBot
Nexus Maximus
Re: Last Knight Slash and Grimlock repaints...why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliebot View Post
Repaint Grimlock and Bee I'd normally assume were for casual "I want the dinosaur guy and bumblebee, mom!" kid markets... except for they were put in this premium box and price.

So I can only assume they're intended for a "gotta collect them all, even the variants" movie toy collector market - similar to some Star Wars collectors or some G1 collectors.

Thing is, I don't think there are more than a scattered handful of such movie TF collectors out there. So either mom and dads budget tolerance needs to be cool with $30/$40 little toys, or this line is going to have troubles selling.

I have both molds from AOE. This Grimlock is better colors and decent for a fan who doesn't have the mold and catches it on sale. Scorn is not a good Transformer or robot, but is a mildly fun dinosaur.
I agree with everything you said, but I assume you meant Slash, not Scorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkamanraiden View Post
So how similar is TLK Voyager Grimlock to the one in the platinum AOE giftset?
Similar-ish . Do you mean the one that came with more muted Dinobots or the one knows the 5 pack with the g1 heads? I assume the first. I forgot about him. I think the TLK has more silver on him. The rest of him is more of a matte grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
I think they're mistaking the audience/sales for things like Star Wars Black and Marvel Legends. Yeah, they're $30 bucks a pop. But a. they're VERY adult-collector geared, b. they have obscene amounts of articulation and paint, and c. I don't have a C.

Wait, C. They're also not the entirety of the line. There are also toys that are more kid friendly in price and durability/style out there. They're a very specific part of Marvel and Star Wars, that in TRU or Wal-Mart, only take up really a handful of the pegs.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is out and there are all sorts of toys out there. They're not charging some crazy markup on every single GOTG2 toy, but there will be Legends. you can buy some super kid-friendly Star Wars toys, or the Black high-end version of Kylo Ren and Rey.

Not the entire fucking lineup for the new movie.

Really, the short answer from Hasbro is:

"Because fuck you, that's why!"
THIS us why they need a new brand manager because they would totally sag we have lots kf kid versions, you know, tiny titans, one step and armour knight junk. Basically, all the non poseable trash that has been a waste of time and money which I am SURE has been a factor in the price hike, asking their idiotic failures on to his. I could get behind these IF kids really liked them. The scraplets and their friend thing these suck now and thought they did with AOE too. Know the one real worthwhile line for kids here? Legion class. Which is fine except all four we have now are literally repaints of molds now used several times. I gotta believe there is mold degradation by now.
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:58 PM   #12
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Nice paint, but I'm not paying the extra for repaints of a bots I got for $10 and $15 last time.

If they want to milk the mould, go right ahead, but I'm not drinking.

I'm only interested in the new moulds, maybe. I skipped a lot of bots from the last movie line. I'm probably going to skip more, because getting charged more and getting less does not get my chain cranked in the least.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:03 PM   #13
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

All the movie toys in the montreal area are sold out or just about. Looks like you guys not buying them made no difference in the end. Collectors and parents are still buying them full price.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:22 PM   #14
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
All the movie toys in the montreal area are sold out or just about. Looks like you guys not buying them made no difference in the end. Collectors and parents are still buying them full price.
a. they didn't exactly fill the shelves. This is first wave trickle.

b. it's first wave. so it's going to sell just because it's new/htf. Give it a bit. We'll be drowning in a month and half. We do EVERY movie, it's going to be worse.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:55 PM   #15
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

Quote:
What are you talking about? Scorn is the best Dinobot from AOE. Cant wait for this voyager in TLK.
Yeah, meant Slash. Scorn rocks and I am eager for the Voyager of him.

Quote:
This is the thing, it is a bit of a litmus test: if this line sells well it's a huge surprise indicator to us that we (Forum member fans) are not as significant as we thought. That would be interesting if so.

The market will decide, really.

Last edited by Goaliebot; 04-26-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:01 PM   #16
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
I realized later I should've said "listen, kid, this is the same toy you bought FOUR YEARS AGO but they're asking 12 dollars more for it."
Thing is, 4 years ago, that kid maybe wasn't into Transformers. New fans don't know what got released before, each line ends up being new to someone.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:19 PM   #17
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Thing is, 4 years ago, that kid maybe wasn't into Transformers. New fans don't know what got released before, each line ends up being new to someone.
Yeah, plus people are already buying older toys at a premium on e-bay. Takara just reissued a bunch of older movie molds and fans jumped on them paying at least twice the price it cost for those same molds 3-6 years ago.

Not saying this is cool from Hasbro, but anyone saying people wont pay more for older molds is flat out wrong. Making blanket statements like that leads us nowhere and there is some major hypocrisy in this fandom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkamanraiden View Post
So how similar is TLK Voyager Grimlock to the one in the platinum AOE giftset?
It totally different. The first platinum Grimlock toy had a ton of clear plastic, this one doesnt.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:01 AM   #18
alternatorfan
g1 baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonestar View Post
I will be skipping the Dinobot repaints altogether for TLK because I have all 7 from AOE. I keep Deluxe Slash and Voyager Grimlock in their Dinosaur modes but I keep AOE Leader Grimlock in robot mode because his alt mode is quite bad.
I also want Voyager Scorn as his AOE Deluxe figure was IMHO the best of all 7 Dinobots...plus I might want to replay the scene from Jurassic Park III when Spino and T-Rex go at it.
I agree with this as I too have all the dinobots.
That is good enough for me.
I caved and got barricade but nothing else of interest
That prime and grimlock are bazaar.
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:28 AM   #19
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliebot View Post
\
This is the thing, it is a bit of a litmus test: if this line sells well it's a huge surprise indicator to us that we (Forum member fans) are not as significant as we thought. That would be interesting if so.

The market will decide, really.
Personally, I don't think collectors make up that much of the market, at least not when compared to the kids. They may be the most vocal, but the fact is stuff sells, even the stuff collectors thumb their nose at.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:49 AM   #20
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Really? Not here. TRU still has one Barricade and Berserker and 2 Legion Grimmy figs. Mind you, they only started with 8 deluxes and 2 voyagers to begin with. As was stated, this is a trickle. It is also very sad people will accept buying these at these prices. That just send the message that yes, this price is fine with people so we can charge that and probably more. ..and it just is not okay. They aren't THAT good. My God, Voyager Prime can barely bend his knee. I think what gets me is that, in general, titans return and RiD have been hitting it out of the park for less. These movie figs are not up to that standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Excellent point. But, people still hav3 a choice to look at a box and say yep, this is fine for 30 plus tax or say no, that's nuts. Funny how time goes. As a kid, Woolco here had G1 Oprimus for 32 bucks. I can recall drooling and my parents saying hell no. For that price, maybe Christmas, lol. Which was what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
Personally, I don't think collectors make up that much of the market, at least not when compared to the kids. They may be the most vocal, but the fact is stuff sells, even the stuff collectors thumb their nose at.
Good point, but it has been stated that this line is intended for adults akin to Star Wars Black Series. Kids will generally get these, get frustrated and either break them, like Berserker really thin roof or will end up asking their parents to transform it. Yep, money well spent. Like WFC prime. I love him, but the kids forget how to change all his parts all the time so they never chang3 him and rarely pick him to play with.
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote