Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #1
GotBot
Nexus Maximus
Last Knight Slash and Grimlock repaints...why?

Okay, so with movie time upon us, we have so many people voicing so many opinions. As a fandom, that's our right and we should all be encouraged to be vocal.

That brings me to the current The Last Knight repaints for Grimlock and Slash. I immediately point these out because they are the ones available in wave one and currently hitting shelves.

Honestly? I enjoy the movies, as grossly imperfect as they at e because they still fill me with a sense of wonder I had in childhood hoping to see these huge bots in "real life", so to speak. As such, I was at the very least interested to see the new figures, dare I say excited. Then we get the reveals. Now, I have posted an overview of the line where I share many of my shoughts, as well as my looks at both Barricade and Berserker. But...

That brings us to the Dinobot repaints.

So, Slash. I already looked at him before. This new version is the EXACT SAME THING again, and, trust me, he was nothing to get excited about to begin with. The overuse of soft plastic (and possible breakage due to that), the articulation limits and the conversion is the exact same thoughts I had before. The ONLY change is that he is now in a box and coloured differently. Ironically, I custom painted my Slash into a G1 aesthetic and were I to get the new one I would do the same. the irony is that where I put silver, they have pretty much put blue and where I put gold, they have largely put silver (of course, the new paint is more metallic-ish, but the parts molded in blue and grey plastic don't quite match. He was, and is, a hodge podge. About the only grade I would change for him is the paint. He was a 3 or 4 and might be a 5 or 6 now. So, that being the case, Is he worth the price of admission? Especially with the hike most places have? More on that later. In the meantime, for a greater coverage of my thoughts, he was a my look at the AOE one ages ago compared to my custom version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-oq-rWqzoI

And now, Grimlock. This mold HAS to be suffering from degredation as it has been used oh so many times now. We have the AoE version, then the one in the SDCC set, then the G1 inspired 5 pack, then movie the best and now the Last Knight. If you dislike the mold and styling, none of these paint changes are going to change your opinion. IF you like it, then which one is the best to have? Again, that depends. I have the FOC Grimmy as my Dinobot team leader, so I am way out to lunch. I find the AoE one does pop and looks nice. I enjoy looking at the G1 inspired versions but worry about the chrome wear. I don't know if the movie the best's green is screen accurate, but I'm not a green fan. I DO like the Last Knight one, and would likely score his paint as an 8. Every other thought, would again, be exactly the same as before. So, we go back to the question, is he worth the price of admission? Again, also, he was my original tohughts on him too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13OehAn98_k

My final verdict goes like this. Neither figure is particularly good or bad. Of course, Slash is weaker and Grimmy is, well, a good toy, just very, very stylized. They both do suffer from gorilla arms though. IF there is a price hike in your area as many report, then no, as a fan and a reviewer I cannot in good conscience recommend these to anyone anywhere. BUT, you might say hey, these have shown up at some US retailers for, I think, 15.88, are they worth that? Well, Grimmy at a regular voyager price, whatever that was for the last movie, yes, certainly, but Slash still isn't. he just isn't good. In sum, here is the question I would ask myself always - If I didn't want him before, do I really want him now?*

This brings me to my question to you guys, what do you think? Are these two terrific? Am I being overly critical?
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:42 AM   #2
Pascal
Banned
Re: Last Knight Slash and Grimlock repaints...why?

I transformed Slash for the first time in a couple years the other night... that mold sucks. Displays well, but not fun to play with.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #3
Tyrannosaurus Rex
Machine War

If were to get Slash it'd just be for his dromaeosaur mode, robot mode is an absolute mess.

Grimlock I may get cause I like the deco and I don't own the mold yet, plus I wanna display him with that upcoming Voyager Scorn.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:14 PM   #4
Tonestar
Star Seeker

I will be skipping the Dinobot repaints altogether for TLK because I have all 7 from AOE. I keep Deluxe Slash and Voyager Grimlock in their Dinosaur modes but I keep AOE Leader Grimlock in robot mode because his alt mode is quite bad.
I also want Voyager Scorn as his AOE Deluxe figure was IMHO the best of all 7 Dinobots...plus I might want to replay the scene from Jurassic Park III when Spino and T-Rex go at it.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:13 PM   #5
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I transformed Slash for the first time in a couple years the other night... that mold sucks. Displays well, but not fun to play with.
I could not possibly agree with you more. It is a bit sad really because many get suckered by him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannosaurus Rex View Post
If were to get Slash it'd just be for his dromaeosaur mode, robot mode is an absolute mess.

Yep! I mean..those robot arms alone are wretched.

Grimlock I may get cause I like the deco and I don't own the mold yet, plus I wanna display him with that upcoming Voyager Scorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonestar View Post
I will be skipping the Dinobot repaints altogether for TLK because I have all 7 from AOE. I keep Deluxe Slash and Voyager Grimlock in their Dinosaur modes but I keep AOE Leader Grimlock in robot mode because his alt mode is quite bad.
I also want Voyager Scorn as his AOE Deluxe figure was IMHO the best of all 7 Dinobots...plus I might want to replay the scene from Jurassic Park III when Spino and T-Rex go at it.
Haha, I am in the exact same boat as you.
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:21 PM   #6
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

Repaint Grimlock and Bee I'd normally assume were for casual "I want the dinosaur guy and bumblebee, mom!" kid markets... except for they were put in this premium box and price.

So I can only assume they're intended for a "gotta collect them all, even the variants" movie toy collector market - similar to some Star Wars collectors or some G1 collectors.

Thing is, I don't think there are more than a scattered handful of such movie TF collectors out there. So either mom and dads budget tolerance needs to be cool with $30/$40 little toys, or this line is going to have troubles selling.

I have both molds from AOE. This Grimlock is better colors and decent for a fan who doesn't have the mold and catches it on sale. Scorn Edit/ Slash (meant to say) is not a good Transformer or robot, but is a mildly fun dinosaur.

Last edited by Goaliebot; 04-26-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:31 PM   #7
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliebot View Post
Scorn is not a good Transformer or robot, but is a mildly fun dinosaur.
What are you talking about? Scorn is the best Dinobot from AOE. Cant wait for this voyager in TLK.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #8
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

So how similar is TLK Voyager Grimlock to the one in the platinum AOE giftset?

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772

Last edited by Tekkamanraiden; 04-26-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #9
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliebot View Post
Repaint Grimlock and Bee I'd normally assume were for casual "I want the dinosaur guy and bumblebee, mom!" kid markets... except for they were put in this premium box and price.

So I can only assume they're intended for a "gotta collect them all, even the variants" movie toy collector market - similar to some Star Wars collectors or some G1 collectors.

Thing is, I don't think there are more than a scattered handful of such movie TF collectors out there. So either mom and dads budget tolerance needs to be cool with $30/$40 little toys, or this line is going to have troubles selling.

I have both molds from AOE. This Grimlock is better colors and decent for a fan who doesn't have the mold and catches it on sale. Scorn is not a good Transformer or robot, but is a mildly fun dinosaur.
I think they're mistaking the audience/sales for things like Star Wars Black and Marvel Legends. Yeah, they're $30 bucks a pop. But a. they're VERY adult-collector geared, b. they have obscene amounts of articulation and paint, and c. I don't have a C.

Wait, C. They're also not the entirety of the line. There are also toys that are more kid friendly in price and durability/style out there. They're a very specific part of Marvel and Star Wars, that in TRU or Wal-Mart, only take up really a handful of the pegs.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is out and there are all sorts of toys out there. They're not charging some crazy markup on every single GOTG2 toy, but there will be Legends. you can buy some super kid-friendly Star Wars toys, or the Black high-end version of Kylo Ren and Rey.

Not the entire fucking lineup for the new movie.

Really, the short answer from Hasbro is:

"Because fuck you, that's why!"

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:18 PM   #10
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Like, fuck man. I was in TRU two days ago and a mother and probably 10-12 year old son were looking for new movie toys, and there was one deluxe on the shelf, and it was a repaint. I kind of said "they're charging 30 for this, and here's the same size toy for 20" with the RID/GEN on the shelf.

I realized later I should've said "listen, kid, this is the same toy you bought FOUR YEARS AGO but they're asking 12 dollars more for it."

Like, that's fucking criminal, man.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote