Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Canadian Transformers News

Old 07-14-2014, 12:06 AM   #51
wedge1021
Energon
Re: TFcon Toronto 2014 Is On Now!

I attended Saturday - my first time ever to TFCon. I got there a bit before 9 so I decided to buy the early admission, and made a beeline to the A3U / Fansproject booth to see what what was new. I made a total impulse buy of Columpio, so I guess now I am collecting that line!

By noon I'd spent all of my budget and then some! But I'm happy with my purchases, pretty much everything was on my want list. I'm sure I would have ended up ordering them all online eventually, and this way I saved on shipping, taxes, etc.

I attended all of the afternoon panels except Sue Blu & Gregg Berger (unfortunately, had to grab some food). I've only been to a few fan conventions before, but never went to the panels, so it was neat to experience them. The Customizing Tutorial and the Aaron Archer Q&A were very interesting, and Garry Chalk & Neil Kaplan were a hoot. The 3rd party one was great - it was exciting to see the reveals live and in-person, to know that we were some of the first people to learn about some of those products.

A few more general comments:
- The dealer room was awesome, the best I've ever been to. Good layout, decent space in the aisleways, and a great selection.
- Polite and helpful staff, both for the event and the hotel.
- It was really cool to see how many people knew each other, how passionate everyone obviously was, and how diverse the crowd was.

Overall, I had a great time! I'd just finished off months of stressful work projects the day before, so it was a really welcome and timely opportunity to geek out and have some fun for a day. I went into it thinking it would just be a one-off event to say I'd been once, but now I'm already looking forward to next year!
wedge1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:58 AM   #52
jtkv
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageD View Post
Central to who? People come from all over not just the GTA.
Duh, I am fully aware of that. Even for people flying in, it's a long trek from the airport.
Maybe a location closer to the airport or Yorkdale Mall... that is what I consider central.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockout View Post
I'm going to say the same thing I tell everyone who complains about Anime North's location (It is on Dixon Rd at the Toronto Congress Centre and every year people complain that it's not in downtown Toronto)

TFCON at it's current state works well at the Delta. It hasn't outgrown it's venue yet, the hotel itself is utterly awesome. (Trust me. I wish it was closer to AN and I've told them that because I'd book at the Delta instead) and it's near food. Lots of it. Just down the road. When you make an event you need something by or in a hotel, that has easy access to get to and be around food/drink.

It's also a quiet area, great, clean, free parking for the event, etc etc.

And that's true. Heck the majority of cosplayers these year were American's. We had a nice lady from the UK too.
AnimeNorth is not too bad a location. Definitely more Central than the current location.
Yeah, I'd avoid it being downtown as well... I feel along the 401 works best for travellers and locals.

Anyways, that's just me voicing voicing my distaste for having to drive 1 hour+ to get there.
For Sale List thread
jtkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #53
Nightscrabbler
mississaugascrabble.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkv View Post
Just curious on what's the decision to hold it at this hotel way out in the far end of Mississauga?
Can't they find a more central location along the 401?
Several past TFcons were right by the airport at the Doubletree hotel.

No matter where you are, it'll be far for some and close for others. The goal is to try to create the best situation overall. The Delta Meadowvale has been a great venue in terms of space, comfort and staff. Given how far some people come from, consider yourself lucky to be just an hour away!
Nightscrabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:34 AM   #54
RageD
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightscrabbler View Post
Several past TFcons were right by the airport at the Doubletree hotel.

No matter where you are, it'll be far for some and close for others. The goal is to try to create the best situation overall. The Delta Meadowvale has been a great venue in terms of space, comfort and staff. Given how far some people come from, consider yourself lucky to be just an hour away!
Very well said!
Old 07-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #55
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

The 401 is PRETTY close to the Delta, but I've never used the 401 to get to TFCON or AN, or even Fan Expo. I always use the 407, less stress!

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Knockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:22 AM   #56
The 12th Prime
Lost count, long time ago
The 12th Prime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockout View Post
Also is it just me or the con flow got smaller. Previous years it was hard to move especially in cosplay anywhere in both Grayden/and the hallway leading to the panel rooms. I remember lines and having issues getting Sideswipe, Sunstreaker and Bob down the hallway but uh, there was no lines. (I heard this morning there was) but when we got there about 9:45, the dealers/artist area was kinda not crowded, empty hallways, even the panel room had alot of open seats. I thought the con attendees supposely went up this year? Why did it seem so dead and small?
It might have been more spread out and a little less tire kicking joe public. Some people weren't able to come until Sunday and then there's this World Cup thing I'm sure some people watched Some of the dealers I know that I spoke to were doing quite well.

Plus big kudos to Premier Toys' booth for the set up of eliminating the tables and setting up a lattice cage like structure with shelving inside it. It was nice to be able to walk into a space normally occupied by a table and get out of the aisle way of traffic. It was relaxing just to be able to stand in there and listen to music as I looked at stuff. If the rest of the con could be set up like that it would be able to handle increased traffic and stay at it's current venue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwave View Post
Do we have to stay at the hotel? cause if I come next year, I will stay at my aunts place, not in the mood to pay the extra $$ to stay at a hotel
I stayed at my sisters at Hwy's 10 and 407 it's about 10 km's and minutes from the Delta but the draw backs are having to leave each night (so no getting liquored up if you happen to like that), getting up or leaving a little earlier to drive to the con or back to your resting place and you go to the car a lot when your hands get full. I drove about a 160 kilometres total from Friday to Sunday which is about a 1/4 tank of gas for my car going back and forth between my sisters and the show. It's nice she made food for me but I'd feel douchy if I didn't spend some time with her while at her place and eat food that she made for me.

There's ways to save money to make the hotel worth while, bring snacks and drinks, figure the difference in cost between the gas and the hotel. Use Hotwire or something similar you just might get lucky and get the host hotel for a great rate. Back in '09 I got the Double Tree for $77 taxes in which was better than the TFCon rate by more than $45 with tax. This week my gal pal and I stayed at the Holiday Inn on Dixon for the Gaga concert for $78 taxes in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkv View Post
Just curious on what's the decision to hold it at this hotel way out in the far end of Mississauga?
Can't they find a more central location along the 401?
Originally some people complained about the lack of free parking at the Double Tree, I had no problem paying for parking, the rate was reasonable $10 to $12 a day and there was a great place to party near by though the bar at the Delta is good but the service seemed slower this year. You might have to drive faster, lol. An hour? I can make the trip from your area in 45 minutes you're just half way there for me I can make it to the Delta from Peterborough in an hour and a half. Burlington in 1:45.
The 12th Prime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convention, masterpiece, pestilence, tfcon. shafter, transformers