Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
jackalprime
Y U NO MAKE NEW BEASTWARS
jackalprime's Ebay Auctions
Question Bell TV HD reciever issue

Just got an external drive for my HD reciever to make a pvr. But all my movies on the drive keep getting deleted because the sat. reciever always must do a "format" to the drive to use it. Does this mean that I can only use it as a pvr? I really wanted to be able to watch my downloaded movies on it too, which is why I bought a large size. Any solutions to this?

"for everything there ever was"

jackalprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
racerguy76
Nexus Maximus
Re: Bell TV HD reciever issue

I've never had an issue with mine, but it's never been unplugged from the box. I think they are meant to be plugged in and then never touched again. I think when you plug it in it formats its.

I know our reciver could only handle certain sizes of hard drives. The max size it could be was 740G, which still allows for over 700 hours of record time.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
jackalprime

mine is the newest version of the bell hd reciever. I have a lot of dvd rips on my computer that I was hoping to watch on my tv via my reciever. But when I plug it in to the reciever it deletes it all. I guess its meant to be a dedicated harddrive for the reciever. thats a shame its 1 Terrabite. Ample for my movie collection and if i want to record something. I guess Ill have to get another smaller one for my dedicated pvr, and use this one with my ps3 to view movies. any tips or tricks around buying another harddrive would be cool if anyone knows.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
racerguy76
Nexus Maximus

Were you able to veiw pvr'd items on your pc?

Costco is usually the best place to buy portable hard drives, but sometimes you can find a good sale at futureshop or best buy. Check any larger wholesale computer retailers too.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
jackalprime

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerguy76 View Post
Were you able to veiw pvr'd items on your pc?

Costco is usually the best place to buy portable hard drives, but sometimes you can find a good sale at futureshop or best buy. Check any larger wholesale computer retailers too.
thats the frustrating part. I first plugged it into my reciever, to make sure it was compatable. It is, and it said it was formating the drive. Thats fine. Then I hooked it up to my computer to transfer my files. the drive did not appear in My Computer, but it appeared in device manager. So i couldnt use the drive to copy files from the comp to the drive. after an hour seaching for answers online, i just ended up reformating the drive for the pc, which "erased" the formatting for the reciever. So i cant use it for both it seems. unless there is special software for it, but there was no splash screen when i first plugged it in. it just said "the device is installed and ready to use" its pretty dissapointing, i mean a 1 terabite drive and nothing to store on it. theres gotta be a way to use it for both comp and pvr.