Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #11
Goji_tron
Beasty
Re: Concern regarding yugioh card changing names

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomGundam View Post
Ummm. Not the same thing there, buddy.

One is when a company owns the rights to a name for X amount of years, thus another entity cannot use the same name.
The other is about piracy of copyrighted intellectual material. There's a BIG difference there.

You're confusing "trademark" with "copyright", and then you're (perhaps unintentially) saying that copyrights are bad for piracy?

Okay thanks for the differance between trademark and copyright.

Back to the main topic, there are unfortunate rumors/news in Youtube that Meklord name is confirmed for TCG by Konami. Which is a very stupid move of Konami to do that might peeve off a lot of Yu-gi-oh fans. Again, what were they thinking?! There should be no trademark name problems with Machine Emperor. If they are tryng to make the archetype name cool, then they are epicly failing. Who agrees with me?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #12
Goji_tron
Beasty

Bad news, Meklord has just been confirmed as the official name for the card archetype. I hate it. Konami really made a stupid mistake of trying to change a normal archetype name. Are the original names so complicated that they have to change it for the kids? Or are they trying to make it sound cool? Machine emperors and Machine Imperial soldiers are not that complicated. For example, they changed machine imperial soldier wisel ein to Meklord Army Wisel. Does Konami have some issues with multicultural names or something?

Anyway the translations are an epic fail on Konami's part. It can make you wonder whether they were smoking something. I wonder how the fans will react to this? Probably outraged.

I also don't like the name change because it might be confusing for me to use them

Forgive me for complaining, but I just don't like the unnecessary changes to names that are awesome. Changing the word god to divine or immortal is okay because it is religion related, but not stupid translations for appropriate names. Who agrees with me?
Old 03-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #13
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!

I think the main problem here is that you seem to be fixated on the thought that Konami is doing this BY CHOICE to piss off their fanbase.

Yes, the name has changed for the North American version. As I'm not a YuGiOh fan at all, I won't comment on whether or not it is a good/bad thing. But you have to realize that their choices for name changes very likely has much more reason behind it than just "they felt like it". And most of the possible reasons are money/trademark/brand-association related.

And besides, as far as I can find, the name of the card(s) would be:
機皇帝 - きこうてい - ki koutei.

機 = machine, or something that has the attribute of a machine (ie, mechanical)
皇帝 = emperor

As far as I can tell, "Meklord" (what I'm assuming is a "trendy" version of "Mech-lord") is NOT that farfetched from the actual definition, and is by far NOT a "stupid translation" as you seem to assume.

TFs and other toys for sale! (last updated: Post-TFCon2018):
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=72568

Custom Double-Detolfs:
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=47820

Looking for:
- Cybertron Hot Shot
- Cybertron Defense Hot Shot
- G1 Repugnus
- G1 Scowl (with Monstructor foot)
- G1 Icepick small gun
- G1 Fire Guts God Ginrai
Old 03-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #14
Goji_tron
Beasty

Quote:
I think the main problem here is that you seem to be fixated on the thought that Konami is doing this BY CHOICE to piss off their fanbase.

Yes, the name has changed for the North American version. As I'm not a YuGiOh fan at all, I won't comment on whether or not it is a good/bad thing. But you have to realize that their choices for name changes very likely has much more reason behind it than just "they felt like it". And most of the possible reasons are money/trademark/brand-association related.

機皇帝 - きこうてい - ki koutei.

皇帝 = emperor

As far as I can tell, "Meklord" (what I'm assuming is a "trendy" version of "Mech-lord") is NOT that farfetched from the actual definition, and is by far NOT a "stupid translation" as you seem to assume.

Right sorry about that. I just think that Machine Emperor sounds more cooler than Meklord and was unnecessary, including especially machine imperial soldiers being more cooler than meklord army. I hope that konami makes reprints of these cards in original translations (not necessary for Machine Imperial God to be included since it is would be understandable to change it for religious purposes) to appease the fans if they can do it for the near future.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #15
Goji_tron
Beasty

Quote:

機皇帝 - きこうてい - ki koutei.

皇帝 = emperor

Meklord may not be farfetched but it can be quite confusing for the card game play. Trust me, if you type in Meklords wiki into google, you will see a forum about some other people also share my dislike of name change for Machine Emperor to Meklord within Yugioh wiki. Some of them would've preferred Mech-lord instead of Meklord, thinking that Meklord is more stupider. Read the forum and you might understand some of the fans' problems with it.

Last edited by Goji_tron; 03-10-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Closed Thread