Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-10-2019, 01:58 AM   #31
JLvatron
Chosen 1
Re: What Did You Think Of Bumblebee?? **SPOILERS**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Charlie’s story arc was very well thought out and defined compared to Sam’s in film one. Now, her story is not Transformers related which is likely your critcism, but her journey in the film was perfectly executed.

Every dot connected in her plot, from the issues of having lost her father to the desire to get freedom from her mother and step father over those issues. The reasons why she got interested in fixing cars, due to lasting memories from doing things with her father.

Sam was a rich kid from the suburbs that wanted to get laid. There was nothing else there. And I loved Shia, he was extremely fun - just shallow.
Charlie had a better backstory, but Sam had a better Fore story. And he wasn't shallow, that's comic relief. And his connection with bumblebee was quite genuine.

And this movie was not The Girl Who Loved Powerglide.
Not at all.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:57 AM   #32
alternatorfan
g1 baby

Still the gaps are bothersome but....
It was a good story just not gap precise.
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:23 AM   #33
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternatorfan View Post
I dont understand prime being on earth already when the meteors fell.
Prime was part of the meteors that fell in the first movie of live action.
Big gaps that dont make sense.
Yah, that contradicted 2 things: Prime not arriving with the other Rock Lords, and the fact that they were supposed to arrive in 2007 at night near Sam, not 20 years sooner in 1987.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:45 AM   #34
alternatorfan
g1 baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLvatron View Post
Yah, that contradicted 2 things: Prime not arriving with the other Rock Lords, and the fact that they were supposed to arrive in 2007 at night near Sam, not 20 years sooner in 1987.
This too...lol
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:11 AM   #35
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

Quote:

Optimus Prime can come to earth in 1987 for a short trip and go back again, right? Then he officially settle down on earth in 2007

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #36
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Charlie had a better backstory, but Sam had a better Fore story. And he wasn't shallow, that's comic relief. And his connection with bumblebee was quite genuine.

And this movie was not The Girl Who Loved Powerglide.
Not at all.
His comedy was gold, that is not what I mean by shallow. Sam’s connection with Bumblebee was fine as well, but I wouldn’t suggest at all that Charlie’s wasn’t.

It was easy to identify with Charlie’s motivations. She was a fully realized character that we got to know well as viewers, that we got to connect with emotionally. She wants to help Bumblebee because there are layers that make them similar despite their obvious differences.

Charlie lost her family and is broken. Bumblebee lost his family and is broken. The story was about both of them healing and reuniting with their families, while forming a their own friendship.

It presents a fully realized story arc for both characters, something very different from Michael Bay’s style of film making.

Now you can completely agree, as you did, with the poster here that called the film “generic Hollywood shit”, but for me there was something more there.

I think it boils down to something I enjoyed seeing on screen in a Transformers film, something we have not seen before, that you were not wanting to see.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:07 PM   #37
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
I think it boils down to something I enjoyed seeing on screen in a Transformers film, something we have not seen before, that you were not wanting to see.
Seriously, dude?
Splaining what somebody wants or not?

Old 01-11-2019, 02:52 AM   #38
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Seriously, dude?
Splaining what somebody wants or not?
I apologize. That is not what I was trying to do at all.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #39
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

Was able to see it last night and overall I thought it was more good then bad, but I certainly understand the critiques that people have.

The Good:

Hailee Steinfeld was pretty great in this role and gave some depth to a female character in a Transformers movie. Reminded me of a more grown up version of Izabella from the Last Knight.

I also liked the treatment of the Transformers in general: More screen time, a better sense of their motivation and certainly more G1-like. The first 15 minutes really felt like a love letter to everyone who wanted a more G1 feel to these movies and it actually worked for me.

The main story was cohesive and the lay person could easily follow the plot. Compare that to the other 5 Bay-verse movies and you can see why general audiences started to pull back from the franchise.

The Bad:

For whatever reason, I get hung up on continuity errors in moves and with this being a prequel and soft reboot, it somewhat confuses the whole timeline. Now if the movie was meant to be a prequel OR reboot I don't care; just pick one and go with it, but it can't be both.

While I think Charlie was consistent, I feel as though the human characters were a bit all over the place in as far as who they were and had some missed potential. For example her Mom was serious at the times when she should have been caring, aloof when she should have been serious and caring finally at the end. Same with John Cena's character- he had some really funny lines, but then was way to serious at others. Finally, I think they missed an opportunity with Ron.

As with most movies I think they could have cut 20 minutes out and it would have made for a tighter story. Remove things like: the lemonade mishap at the pier, the "give me your shirt" sequence and riding out the sunroof, the to scared to dive scene, the mean girls "you have a dead Dad scene" and the toilet paper revenge scene. (the eggs and car trashing was file, but she's 18, why is she toilet papering a house?? Also points for the most weird product placement for a movie) I understand that these are character building moments in the story, but at this point they are cliche and have little payoff.

The Ugly.

The dive at the end was silly, cliche and lazy to say the least.

Overall the movie was good and I'm actually happy with the direction that the franchise is heading in.

Last edited by Team Jetfire; 01-11-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #40
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
Remove things like: the lemonade mishap at the pier, the "give me your shirt" sequence and riding out the sunroof, the to scared to dive scene, the mean girls "you have a dead Dad scene" and the toilet paper revenge scene. (the eggs and car trashing was file, but she's 18, why is she toilet papering a house?? Also points for the most weird product placement for a movie) I understand that these are character building moments in the story, but at this point they are cliche and have little payoff.
I agree! I didn't mind those scenes, but they were not necessary.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bumblebee, film, review bumblebee, spoilers