Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-23-2017, 08:46 PM   #1
Poflymn
Beast Machine
Poflymn's Ebay Auctions
Collection Direction...

I am at the stage now in my Transformers collection hobby (addiction) that I am trying to decide which direction to go with it moving forward.

I use to collect BW figures growing up but it was more of a to play with than display type of collecting. The Combiner Wars series really brought me back into the game and I have been going strong ever since. I picked up Generations figures where and when I could as they brought back the nostalgia of G! from when I was growing up.

Now I am at an impasse. I have pretty much bought the entire CW series minus the G2 boxsets. and I have continued with the TR figures. However, room is starting to become an issue. I find that I am continually having to pack away figures to make sure for the new up and comings. I have bought some MP figures here and there, Rod, Bumblebee, Sunstorm and a couple of KO cars.

I am thinking about selling off large chunks of my collection to start int MP figures exclusively, with maybe some 3rd parties to fill in holes. I didnt get into MPs initially as I thought they were pricey but looking back, buying a single wave of TR or CW figures was just as costly. And I definitely like the look and feel of MP figures over the mass retail regular figures.

What do you think? Given display restraints, should I look at selling off my mass market collection and use those funds to delve deeper into MP figures? Don't get me wrong, the CW and TR figure line is pretty nice in its own but I'm not sure I can continue to buy jsut to have to pack them away later.
Poflymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:55 PM   #2
optimusb39
Animated
Re: Collection Direction...

I'm a big chug line collector but I recently got into the MPs. Its expensive but worth it. They bring back so mich noatolgia and the scale takes you right back to childhood when you'd hold a big bot on your tiny hands.
If your up to the financial comittmwnt you can get everything you want out of all the choices for mp they are out there. I'd say select a choice few chug for emergency playability and pit the rest in storage if your gonna display MPs. Some are good for playability but some are really just for looks. ( I.e. wardog) but they all feel great
optimusb39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:58 PM   #3
Pascal
Banned

Looking at the money I have/will have, it seems this year will mostly be about Prime (already at least 5-6 figures behind)/Megatron/Starscream (already 3 figures behind)/Bumblebee/The Last Knight. I'm not even sure I'll be able to catch up with the MP line, and I've never skipped a new mold before. Still haven't bought Inferno, and Cheetor is coming soon... ouch.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:09 PM   #4
Deception
Crossover

i'd keep chugs as well. buy billys over detolfs to save space. i own 5 detolfs full of chug tfs and if i had money and time to i'd goto ikea i'd replace all of them in favour for billies with glass doors.
Deception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:12 PM   #5
Pascal
Banned

Worst thing is, I'm deep into CW and TR, and I well know that stuff won't be worth anything if I ever decide to sell it. Mainline stuff isn't worth anything anymore, you have to sell boatloads at ridiculous prices just to get a few dollars back.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:31 PM   #6
positivelyken
One Man Gestalt

My TF buying habits have increased enormously in the last few years, and I have the same problem you do: too many figures, not enough space to display them, and a lot of toys in storage. I'm seriously debating whether to unload a good chunk of my collection and pick one or two focal points.
positivelyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:41 PM   #7
elburrito
Animated

IMO the MP-style transformers are where it is at. I sold off my near-complete classics collection together with a bunch of G1 stuff and all doubles a couple years back to focus on specific MP & G1 characters. I don't miss any of the ones I've sold.

The MPs come at a predictable pace so keeping up is easy. Gone are the days of the toy-store "circuit". I buy almost everything online now. So the wait between new bots can be long, but oh so rewarding as the shelves begin to fill. All that're really left are my favourites. At the end of the day, why not blow your dough on the ones you consider "the best"?

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:30 PM   #8
Soundwaves
Robot Master

Personally, I think hastak stuff will hold better value than 3p/ko stuff...not that that's likely saying much. Mass produced collectibles are kind of an oxymoron.
Soundwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:31 PM   #9
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Don't go all out and buy entire waves. Buy the figures and/or characters that mean something to you.

As for the stuff you currently have, if it doesn't mean something to you, like you just have it to complete a wave/series/variant/etc. then feel free to let it go.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:41 PM   #10
Dynamo.Dave
Too close for missiles

I'd say go with MP if you plan on mostly enjoying them as display pieces / art / decoration. I've got a couple of detolfs for the MP and MP-alike figures for that.
Go with mainline CHUG-etc if you plan on more puzzle play and actually handling them. More figures, and having them in a box for a while means you get to re-enjoy them when you pull them back out!

Sparktoys Grimlock
FT Stunticons
FT Aerialbots

Dynamo.Dave is offline   Reply With Quote